***HOOD SCOOPS*** [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: ***HOOD SCOOPS***

dasaabguy
04-02-03, 12:59 PM
Just curious.....anyone ever seen a ng900 saab with hood scoops? any pics of saabs with hood scoops out there?
I recently dented my hood, and instead of just repainting it I am undecided to mold a set of hood scoops into the hood or leave it stock! Im sure this will keep the engine and turbo a bit cooler....

any thoughts, opinions,feedback will be greatly appreciated

Mark P
04-02-03, 02:28 PM
:o

In the UK, hood scoops are something that spotty little teenagers put on tiny-engined little cars to make them look sporty. They speak volumes about the owner (if you know what I'm saying :cheesy: !)

There are many more efficient (and stylish) ways of cooling the working parts....

Some of the more mechanically talented saab owners (myself not included) are running C900s, GM900s and 9000s with 250/300/350+bhp without hood scoops.

pade900
04-02-03, 03:10 PM
Hello !

I've never seen an actual scoop on any Saab but this here is one pic of a gm900 from Sweden with a sort of scoop (or maybe you should call them hoodvents or something) :) Also I have to say that this is the nicest Saab I ever seen, at least the styling bit =) Have seen it live in Sweden also and I even satt in it, nice OMP bucket seats :cheesy:

Oh yeah, the link :lol: http://194.236.61.194/_upload/SaabGripen2.jpg

dasaabguy
04-02-03, 04:53 PM
Pade, I agree with you that is a nice NG900.....do you have any idea where he got that fron bumper and the headlight eyebrow strips? I would like to get some...........

I was thinking of these kinda dual hood scoops!

Munki
04-02-03, 06:54 PM
Also I have to say that this is the nicest Saab I ever seen, at least the styling bit =)
Sorry Pade900 but I have to disagree with you there that is nasty..IMHO.
Rice is for Hondas not Saabs...

ragtopcav
04-02-03, 09:59 PM
That double hood scoop thing is a bit nasty for us over here, I must say that the appeal of a Saab was the look and feel of an "old man's car" with enough get up and go to make the average Golf GTi owner think why did I buy this -slug-shed-Brian-plodder-nail-sack of poo-etc
I can understand anybody from the land of the Dodge VIper wanting to do something similar to their own motor, but I wish not to appear rude, do you not think Saab stands for clever understatement rather than brash exageration.

Jeremy R.
04-02-03, 09:59 PM
Those bumpers look like the ones from Speedparts' body kit, but I hear they're made of fiberglass and they won't ship them to the US. I bet the spoiler is from Speedparts, too, but it looks like it's been lifted up off the rear deck a little more than normal. I haven't ever seen the eyebrows for the lights before.

rez-1
05-02-03, 10:38 AM
Just curious.....anyone ever seen a ng900 saab with hood scoops? any pics of saabs with hood scoops out there?
I recently dented my hood, and instead of just repainting it I am undecided to mold a set of hood scoops into the hood or leave it stock! Im sure this will keep the engine and turbo a bit cooler....

any thoughts, opinions,feedback will be greatly appreciated

Many may disagree with me....but i say go for it!! i wouldnt go as extreme as that pic you posted, maybe the scoops slighly samller and not as bulky but.. fawk it, be different. just send some pics, im interested to see how it looks.

dasaabguy
05-02-03, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all your feedback guys!!

I must agree with ragtopcav cause I get people telling me that saabs are for the elderly folks all the time! Im only 25!
I guess its time to let them know that SAABS can be modified in both performance and appearance!
Bring on the hood scoops, I will forward pics when this mod is complete, probably wont be for a couple months though!

Heres a pic of my DIRTY saab in front of my buddy's parts dept door at a Saab dealer in CA!We'll call this the BEFORE pic!

The AFTER pic will be coming soon!

pade900
05-02-03, 03:45 PM
Pade, I agree with you that is a nice NG900.....do you have any idea where he got that fron bumper and the headlight eyebrow strips? I would like to get some...........

I was thinking of these kinda dual hood scoops!

The whole bodykit is from Johansson Motorsport (http://www.jms.cit.se) but it's modyfied by the owner, "lowered", airinlets on the side for front brakes and the three round "holes" just under the grille.

I believe the eyebrows are from Speedparts but you can't get them there anymore they have some new style ones. I have very simular to those on this blue Saab and I ordered them from Speedparts.

razorbak
05-02-03, 08:06 PM
I must agree with ragtopcav cause I get people telling me that saabs are for the elderly folks all the time! Im only 25!
I guess its time to let them know that SAABS can be modified in both performance and appearance!

Don't confuse elderly with non-trendy.

It amazes me that there is such a huge group of people who have latched onto the idea of installing primer-white hoods, huge ridiculous sounding mufflers thinking they add hp to a stock engine, and giant wings that add nothing but weight.

My opinion.

ragtopcav
06-02-03, 05:53 PM
Razorbak has a valid point, tuning is becoming a misnomer for what is styling, big bonnet vents? yeah why not if you plan the job, do it well and you can increase engine cooling to enable harder running, my only thought is before you make it go faster make sure it stops faster too.

dasaabguy
10-02-03, 05:56 PM
[/quote]I believe the eyebrows are from Speedparts but you can't get them there anymore they have some new style ones. I have very simular to those on this blue Saab and I ordered them from Speedparts. [quote]

Could you give me a link to these eyebrows your referring to I cant seem to find them?? Thanks

pade900
21-02-03, 06:22 AM
I believe the eyebrows are from Speedparts but you can't get them there anymore they have some new style ones. I have very simular to those on this blue Saab and I ordered them from Speedparts.

Could you give me a link to these eyebrows your referring to I cant seem to find them?? Thanks

Here you go.. http://www.speedparts.se/prod/sp_sty_ogonlock.shtml