Who has the most miles on their Viggen [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Who has the most miles on their Viggen

saabs&dubs
3rd January 2006, 01:11 PM
I keep seeing people buy Viggens with real low mileage, well who has real high miles on their Viggen??

Mine 00 silver 5 door just about 79k miles.

Vigge
3rd January 2006, 02:17 PM
I keep seeing people buy Viggens with real low mileage, well who has real high miles on their Viggen??

MY00 has 120k Km, 42k km when I bought it.

Fast_Ed
3rd January 2006, 02:25 PM

Wow, creepy: Fast Ed's Fast Ride: 00 Silver 5 door ~79k miles..

Trade you straight up!!:lol:

stromer
3rd January 2006, 02:50 PM
There is a guy on another forum with about 115k on his IIRC. kwslvr is the user name, not sure if he's on here too. he's from nh.

1oldsaabman
3rd January 2006, 03:17 PM
74K on my 2000 silver/orange 5dr

been driving the minivan all winter to keep the miles down on the viggen as well as allow me to bring my dogs to work :)

saabs&dubs
3rd January 2006, 03:42 PM
Wow, creepy: Fast Ed's Fast Ride: 00 Silver 5 door ~79k miles..

Trade you straight up!!:lol:

Nah I will hang on to mine...less history;)

Do you travel down to the Gansett Wakefield area at all??

lms
3rd January 2006, 04:41 PM
I have 53,000 on my 2002 viggen, but I have only put 1500 on since I bought it in August. The previous owner drove the piss out of it on the freeway.

pade900
3rd January 2006, 04:59 PM
126k km on my -99 Viggen..About 88k when I got it..

Ribz80
3rd January 2006, 05:53 PM
I forgot who, but I found someone with a 99' with 140k miles. I wont win this competition as I bought mine with 18.900. But I have owned it since Nov 30th and now have 21k, which is more then it has been driven in 3 years.

Fast_Ed
3rd January 2006, 06:20 PM
Nah I will hang on to mine...less history;)

Do you travel down to the Gansett Wakefield area at all??

Can't blame you there, but worth a try :cheesy: I never believed that "LUCK" really existed.. till I bought this car :roll:

I'm not an RI'er by birth, so I really dont know much about this place other than this puny bumpy island, so I really have no idea how far off Narragansett, etc are. Do you have good roads down there? 'Cause I got some buddies that'd be psyched to come for a ride if there's good backroads driving to be had :cool:

Enjoy those Vigs, Fellas, and pray for as little History as possible with them.

97 Aero
3rd January 2006, 06:32 PM
2002 with 81,000 km's or 50,341 miles

still young

Rogozhin
3rd January 2006, 08:28 PM
79500 miles on my 2000 3 door MC yellow Viggen.

Rogo

Slowpc
4th January 2006, 04:21 PM
Up to 92k on my 99 L. Blue viggen... now off to get oil for a change...

saabs&dubs
4th January 2006, 05:09 PM
Up to 92k on my 99 L. Blue viggen... .

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoulderViggen
5th January 2006, 12:51 AM
84,899 miles...just drove from Boulder, CO to Cambridge, MA (2000 miles)...with an average speed of 102.46 mph....the car was so comfortable.

'00 Coupe

stromer
5th January 2006, 01:57 AM
102?!?!?! Are you serious?!?! The best i've had was 92 over 150 miles once.

BoulderViggen
5th January 2006, 08:36 AM
I ended up leaving a day and 7 hours later then planned....I had time to make up.....

I've done better...but that was in Germany on the Autobahn

Fast_Ed
5th January 2006, 11:50 AM
84,899 miles...just drove from Boulder, CO to Cambridge, MA (2000 miles)...with an average speed of 102.46 mph....the car was so comfortable.

'00 Coupe

Wow, this seems *almost* physically impossible, unless you are not counting stops... Since the SID doesnt record tenths or hundredths of a MPH, I would assume this is a calculation you made?

Did you max it out at all?

BoulderViggen
5th January 2006, 02:48 PM
It was my "moving" average that was computed by my Garmin Nuvi GPS....my over all average was 6 mph slower.

Never maxxed the car out on this trip....I had my mountain bike on the roof, but I did run the car up over 140 a few times for 15min + when traffic was non-existant....(I may be crazy...but I don't want to be passing cars doing more then 15mph faster then them....)

bramftm
5th January 2006, 06:04 PM
115k on my 1999 vig

Fast_Ed
5th January 2006, 06:06 PM
It was my "moving" average that was computed by my Garmin Nuvi GPS....my over all average was 6 mph slower.

Never maxxed the car out on this trip....I had my mountain bike on the roof, but I did run the car up over 140 a few times for 15min + when traffic was non-existant....(I may be crazy...but I don't want to be passing cars doing more then 15mph faster then them....)

:o

Yeah, approach speeds are best kept low, as many people dont look back very far before changing lanes, if at all :roll:

Does that GPS dealy measure cornering G's?

BoulderViggen
5th January 2006, 06:33 PM
Does that GPS dealy measure cornering G's? - what do you mean by that?

benfica09
6th January 2006, 04:46 PM
i'm at 84K miles on my beautiful 99 Lighting Blue.

I've owned her since 6K miles.

Fast_Ed
6th January 2006, 06:05 PM
Does that GPS dealy measure cornering G's? - what do you mean by that?

I read a magazine article where they had a GPS unit that could measure stuff like acceleration, deceleration, speed, and cornering acceleration. What I meant by 'measure cornering G's' was, " Can the GPS unit you have measure the amount of cornering traction your car can create."

I beleive that the Viggen article (in a Road and Track article IIRC) quoted the Viggen as being able to corner at 0.78 G's (G = a measurement of force equal to that of gravity.)

If I had a meter like that, I could've measured cornering G's in some of my favorite corners pre and post 22mm rear ARB install, etc.

Apologies for the threadjacking, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Ribz80
6th January 2006, 06:08 PM
I read a magazine article where they had a GPS unit that could measure stuff like acceleration, deceleration, speed, and cornering acceleration. What I meant by 'measure cornering G's' was, " Can the GPS unit you have measure the amount of cornering traction your car can create."

I beleive that the Viggen article (in a Road and Track article IIRC) quoted the Viggen as being able to corner at 0.78 G's (G = a measurement of force equal to that of gravity.)

If I had a meter like that, I could've measured cornering G's in some of my favorite corners pre and post 22mm rear ARB install, etc.

Apologies for the threadjacking, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I hope to god you are wrong and the cornering G's were not .78. That is what a Minivan does. For the Vig I would expect .87-.93. I bought a copy of that article on ebay just yesterday lol.

Fast_Ed
6th January 2006, 06:36 PM
I hope to god you are wrong and the cornering G's were not .78. That is what a Minivan does. For the Vig I would expect .87-.93. I bought a copy of that article on ebay just yesterday lol.

Ah, perhaps it was a slight case of time induced dyslexia... It may have been .87 G's.. But I dont think so...

There are a couple of R&T articles out there on the Vig. I think I've read both the '99 and the '01 tests. The earlier one is the one I'm attempting to quote; it's part of a special sports car edition of R&T.

Ribz80
6th January 2006, 06:53 PM
Ah, perhaps it was a slight case of time induced dyslexia... It may have been .87 G's.. But I dont think so...

There are a couple of R&T articles out there on the Vig. I think I've read both the '99 and the '01 tests. The earlier one is the one I'm attempting to quote; it's part of a special sports car edition of R&T.

I am confident a properly sorted Vig(mine has poly, front and rear swaybars upgraded, rear shock tower brace, sticky 225/40's) will pull into the .9x's. With all the braces and full Koni setup you have a very competent car.

Brakes stock I think netted 115-118ft to 0. So again, a more aggressive pad from say Hawk and stickier, wider tires you might have that in the mid-high 100's which is better than 98% of the cars out there.

Fast_Ed
9th January 2006, 06:49 PM
I am confident a properly sorted Vig(mine has poly, front and rear swaybars upgraded, rear shock tower brace, sticky 225/40's) will pull into the .9x's. With all the braces and full Koni setup you have a very competent car.

Brakes stock I think netted 115-118ft to 0. So again, a more aggressive pad from say Hawk and stickier, wider tires you might have that in the mid-high 100's which is better than 98% of the cars out there.

Oh, I dont doubt that at all, except for maybe wider tires making you stop better; an argument could probably be made that narrower tires make you stop better, but we dont need an argument..

The Stock Car doesnt perform very well, because the stock tires are crap, the stock bushings are play dough, and the car is built to understeer. Now, with the bigger rear sway, stress is taken from the outer front tire and put on the outer rear tire, meaning you actually use some of this available traction, and get a positive change I imagine. Add in poly's, and suspension geometry will be better preserved in the front, giving more front traction. With our beam rear axle, the bushings dont matter as much to preserving the intended camber of the car. So, you end up with an even better distribution of the cornering force. That said, an above 0.90G rating is pretty damn good, and I'd be pleasantly surprised to see a SAAB do this well on the skidpad!

Did you get to look at the article? It's 0.78G's, isnt it?

Ribz80
9th January 2006, 08:33 PM
Oh, I dont doubt that at all, except for maybe wider tires making you stop better; an argument could probably be made that narrower tires make you stop better, but we dont need an argument..

The Stock Car doesnt perform very well, because the stock tires are crap, the stock bushings are play dough, and the car is built to understeer. Now, with the bigger rear sway, stress is taken from the outer front tire and put on the outer rear tire, meaning you actually use some of this available traction, and get a positive change I imagine. Add in poly's, and suspension geometry will be better preserved in the front, giving more front traction. With our beam rear axle, the bushings dont matter as much to preserving the intended camber of the car. So, you end up with an even better distribution of the cornering force. That said, an above 0.90G rating is pretty damn good, and I'd be pleasantly surprised to see a SAAB do this well on the skidpad!

Did you get to look at the article? It's 0.78G's, isnt it?

Dont have the article yet.

Also I wasnt just implying that wider tires made for better braking. Mine are wider and far stickier then stock :P

Fast_Ed
10th January 2006, 06:10 PM
I was just reading an article in my R&T sports car edition, and noting cornering G's... The new Civic Si makes .85 G's (per their test), with the older Civic at .81 (albeit with skinnier, all-season tires) I'm beginning to believe that the Viggen was in the high .7's for cornering in that article..

I bet the braking is killer though on these Vig's.

BTW, how much wider did you go with your tires? Any problems?

Ribz80
10th January 2006, 10:58 PM
I was just reading an article in my R&T sports car edition, and noting cornering G's... The new Civic Si makes .85 G's (per their test), with the older Civic at .81 (albeit with skinnier, all-season tires) I'm beginning to believe that the Viggen was in the high .7's for cornering in that article..

I bet the braking is killer though on these Vig's.

BTW, how much wider did you go with your tires? Any problems?

225/40 18 P-Zero Neros. No problems. I have heard of 235/40/18's but I heard these is no point.

Ribz80
10th January 2006, 11:15 PM
So edmunds which is the worst, rounds off and makes appoximates has it at .81.

In the article in car and driver with the sports sedan shootout, the worst handling car had a .80 so we know a 5dr Vig did better then .80.

It better be .82-.85 when I get the article lol.

Ribz80
13th January 2006, 06:42 PM
Article in front of me, my exact car.....83g's 61.9mph through the cones and 6.4 to 60mph.