Silverstone's F355 vs my Aero [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Silverstone's F355 vs my Aero

suckerpunch
31-12-05, 10:46 AM
My lovely (ex-)girlfriend gave me a day at Silverstone, three laps (of the small circuit) each in an Elise and a 355 - cool!

The Elise was fantastic, as you'd expect from (a) a Lotus, (b) so much power, so little weight, and I screamed around the track as fast as they'd let me... but the Ferrari was a whole different ballgame - not as responsive, of course, but feels fantastic when pushed hard - rewarding when you really hammer it. But, and here's the annoying thing - the acceleration just wasn't up to the old Aero going through the ton - and I'm pretty sure about that - not just the size of the track or the stiffer suspension - it's definitely slower...

I'd be keen to know how a nicely Abbotted Aero would compare on the track next to the Ferrari... anyone here been out on the track recently?

ZARS
31-12-05, 02:55 PM
I had one of those days a couple of years back as a b/day present. Drove an Audi TT first (hmmm) then a 993 Carrera 2 and finally the F355. Agreed the Ferrari belongs on the track:cool: Lovely drive but quite surprised with the interior, quite cheap. TBH I preferred the 993.

Was the Ferrari a left hooker? Both the 993 and Ferrari were when I did it.

Great experience! Have to agree with your comments about the aero. I reckon my aero would easily match the Ferrari at 100+ maybe even better.

As for having the aero on track, 2 trips to the Nurburgring earlier this year. What an experience but tbh the car was'nt really up to the circuit. Hopefully I'll have everything sorted before the next trip (that's if I don't give in to temptation and buy a 944).

Get your car on the autobahn mate. Took mine way off the clock about 30mins outside of Nurburg, reckon I was doing about 160mph+, in the dark.
Result, rather stained trousers;oops:

Sounds like you had a great time, any pics?

Zahid

Willy Wonka
31-12-05, 04:45 PM
Get your car on the autobahn mate. Took mine way off the clock about 30mins outside of Nurburg, reckon I was doing about 160mph+, in the dark.
Result, rather stained trousers;oops: ...Zahid

Had some friends living in germany, who had lost one of their friends on a late night run. Up against the back of a tandem truck. N:oo lights on it.

f355boy
11-10-06, 05:28 AM
Hi Guys,

Im off to Silverstonesoon for an Elise and F355 driving experiencet oo. Just wondering if you could let me now how they check your licence. I have a black mark running through part of my driver number - but the issue dates are all readable. Do they just look at the licence or check up in another way??

Thanks guys

suckerpunch
11-10-06, 05:33 AM
I wouldn't worry - they're not fanatics. Plus the instructors are there to stop you doing anything stupid (er, fun). Give them a call and fax them a copy if you're worried.

One tip, though - hammer the Elise - you'll regret not driving it faster once you go out on the lap with their driver :D

f355boy
11-10-06, 05:54 AM
Cheers Mate,

Thanks for the prompt reply!! Just checking - dont want to get there and be turned away for them not being able to read my driver number.

Really looking forward to the day. From what ive heard you can throw the Elise all over the shop and it will go where you point it. Also, heard the instructors keep an eye on the revs in the 355.

Will get back to you after Ive done it. (this saturday!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

SMHarman
11-10-06, 10:25 AM
Hi Guys,

Im off to Silverstonesoon for an Elise and F355 driving experiencet oo. Just wondering if you could let me now how they check your licence. I have a black mark running through part of my driver number - but the issue dates are all readable. Do they just look at the licence or check up in another way??

Thanks guysDo you not need to bring the paper counterpart anyway to show any convictions etc. That must have a more legible driver number on it. Anyways the driver number is pretty self explanantory.

lllll nnnnnn lllxx -

lllll being your family name first 5 characters (substitute 9's if less than 5 letter family name)
nnnnnn - your date of birth in a jumbled up kind of way.
lll - your initials (substitute 9's if less than 5 letter family name)
xx - check digits to ensure the number is valid.

So depending on the character they cannot read there is potential to work it out anyway.

ferkle
11-10-06, 11:46 AM
that and to be fair they can call the dvla and check. i had a breakdown and as part of my cover i get a courtesy car - obviously need to produce for getting what is actually a hire car - avis, europcar and national don't actually need the physical card/counterpart if you have other ID... although I am sure they have a huge service contract with swansea....anyway, as i was only going to work, I only had my switch on me, so that was all i could produce... i drove away about 20 minutes later than expected in a Skoda Fabia!!!