94-96 Brake pads [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 94-96 Brake pads

SaxyWeed
28-01-03, 02:37 AM
I am looking at buying some EBC front pads for my car but I was wondering what everyone was using for their rear pads? I was only about to find a few performance pads here and there for the back. Also what kind of performance gains could i expect from getting some crossdrilled rotors?

Thanks,
Matt

Jeremy R.
28-01-03, 03:28 PM
They finally started making EBC pads for the rear. I believe Taliaferro Saab (www.genuinesaab.com) carries them. I wouldn't expect any improvement with vented or drilled rotors unless you race your car. You're actually decreasing the rotor area that the pads have to grip, so braking could be worse in normal usage. The benefit is that they cool down faster if you've been using them long and hard over and over again, like you would in racing.

Mark P
28-01-03, 04:25 PM
A colleague of mine went to great trouble (and expense) getting drilled discs etc fitted to his car (not a saab thankfully) and it gave him very little extra benefit in normal use. :o

They looked good through his alloys, but there are better ways to spend your money..... :cheesy:

SaxyWeed
29-01-03, 11:29 AM
Thanks, I'm going to get front and rear EBC pads from Taliaferro. I think I'm gonna stick with my regular rotors until I'm ready to upgrade engine and suspension to race spec.

swedishmotors
29-01-03, 05:27 PM
Yes, I put Zimmerman X-drilled on my old 9-3. Absolutley no difference. But it did look good through the BBS wheels, and that's why I put them on.

Definitly go with EBC. Go with GreenStuff and Your wheels will thank you. :cheesy:

Tweek's Turbos
29-01-03, 06:19 PM
I had heard the same arguments, they dont do anything if your not going to race (beat on it) But my current rotors were shot anyhow, so since www.thesaabsite.com had them cheaper than the dealer for stock, I went with them. They look good and everybody thinks I mean busisness.

ragtopcav
31-01-03, 08:24 PM
We all may be reluctant to admit but the NG900 was based on the venerable [GM] Vauxhall Cavalier, before I got my Saab 900V6 I had a Cav' with slotted front & rear discs with EBC 'greenstuff' pads all around, not only was the dirt'n'dust build up on the alloys minimal to say the least, the stopping distance was less than the cars own length @ 30mph in good conditions, this may be something worth bearing in mind.
In reality brake upgrades must be holistically approached with a suspension/handling package incorporated. If you try and do anything to one bit without suitably improving everything else downstream in the powertrain then it may be a waste of money.
Oh for the record, cross drilled ventilated discs are a waste of money, if you have vent discs slotted are the way to go, any more than about 8 slots is not worthwhile, solid discs cross drilled are worth having though, but the pads must be upto the job also.

sa900ab
02-02-03, 11:19 PM
I just recieved the rear ebc brake pads from genuine saab and they dont fit. The holes for the pins are wider than the stock pads. Pissed me off quite a bit. I have no clue whats goinon with that. They where the rears for the NG900 and mine is a 95. Maybe i got some wrong pads or somthin?