DELETING PURGE VALVE? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: DELETING PURGE VALVE?

BlkTurbo
27-01-03, 06:11 PM
Does anyone know the effects of gettingn rid of a faulty purge valve on my 900SE? Any comments would be greatly appreciated, Thank You.

Berniebgf
27-01-03, 11:00 PM
I can't answer your question directly but I can say this.

My Purge Valve is currently faulty on my 900SET and is causing "Check Engine" to come on... (Running Lean)

So I guess if you remove the purge valve you would ger ECU errors coming up....bhut is there a work around??

regards

BlkTurbo
28-01-03, 03:19 PM
So with a faulty purge valve I'm running lean? If I replace the purge valve will it be back to normal? I have stage 3 ecu could this be causing the valve to operate improperly? Thanks

ERP
28-01-03, 07:16 PM
This is interesting, I have the same problem on my Saab with a Stage 3 ECU. However the valve its self is not broken but the ECU is getting an error message of “grounding for more than 2 seconds”. I know that the valve is not faulty because I replaced it. After I reset the ECU it only took 5 minutes for the CEL to come back on with the new valve. This was rather disappointing since the valve costs $50. It should have a resistance of 26.4 Ohms, and both valves have it, but the ECU isn’t seeing it. I checked the pins on the ECU to and all are connected; this was suggested by a mechanic.

I am not positive on all the workings of the EVAP valve but I do not think it will make you run lean. It is part of the emissions and vents the vapors from the fuel tank into the throttle body. Even if it causes you to runs lean the Trionic will adapt if it measures a reoccurring lean mixture and solve the problem.

It would not be a good idea to remove the valve and connect the hoses, during boost you will be pushing air into the fuel tank. If you were to remove it you must clamp the hoses. For this reason it is easier to just leave it on.

BlkTurbo – What ECU do you have? I have a SQR ECU.

Eric

BlkTurbo
30-01-03, 04:44 PM
I am runnig a Speedparts Sweden stage 3 ecu. Your web site has been more that helpful, right now I'm waiting to recieve my Dawes MBC. Cant wait. Did you have boost limitations in first and second before you MBC? Thanks!

Munki
04-09-03, 09:37 AM
I've just got back from the dealers as I had a CEL come on (error code P0171) and they suspect an intermittent fault with the purge valve. Trouble is they reset the light and just as I got home the CEL came back on. :evil:

Eric how did you reset the CEL. Do you need a special tool or is there an easy 'hack' to do it?

ERP
04-09-03, 11:51 AM
Disconnecting the battery for at least 2 minutes will get rid of the CEL. But it will come on again if the problem still persists. You can buy a new purge valve for ~$50.