proving that saabs rule over stupid hondas!!!!!!!! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: proving that saabs rule over stupid hondas!!!!!!!!

iceboy21
25th January 2003, 12:23 AM
WARNING!!!! some things said in this post may be a disgrace to saab!! lol

Alright heres the deal...during the spring/summer theres a car show every friday night in a downtown parking lot..and when it gets late people head out to this abandoned warehouse wheres theres a 1/2 mile strip and they race. I'm addicted to turbo cars ( subarus wrx, acura rsx) but especially saabs, my dad has a 1995 9000 aero and its awesome...and im lookin to get a 900. Now a few tuning questions...

1) ive looked at the speedparts kit and its pretty cool...but is it worth it? i mean i wanna look stylish to fit in with all the damn hondas and acuras, yet be different.
2) exhaust - this may be a disgraceful question:-? , but im looking for LOUD...and ive heard the saab sport exhausts arent very noisy and are overpriced can a so called "ricer/import" exhaust be fitted?
3)one problem...my town cops are jerks and are really mean about tuned cars:evil: ...i wanna increase hp with a MBC? intake etc. any tips on where to get stuff cheap and the easiest/ least noticeable mods?

Any ideas about what i should do...on a limited budget i may add...are greatly appreciated i wanna prove that saabs kick a** any day!!!! :cheesy:

SaxyWeed
25th January 2003, 04:59 AM
_PLEASE_ don't rice it!!! You can get a great exhaust note without making it sound like a go-cart. But yes you can put prettymuch any exhaust on it. It might not be straight up bolt on, but a good exhaust shop can make it fit.

This might just be me but I'd go for performance mods over appearance mods anyday. Unless its a $15 job like xenon bulbs or something over a $300 perf mod. And anyway Saabs styling is just about fine the way it is. Its not your everyday joe blow civic by any means.

Tweek's Turbos
25th January 2003, 11:51 AM
Whatever floats ur boat man, The SaabSport exaust is what I have. I am adding a 3 inch downpipe which is essentially the pipe from the turbo just past the cat. I will be not using a Catilytic converter so I am guessing I will have a bit more sound than usual. It is possible for you to have a custom set up thrown on your car, all you have to do is buy a ricer style muffler.

You like turbo cars, but you failed to mention the all holy ruller of all cars turbo. The 86-87 Turbo Buick Regals, You are familiar with these correct? www.GNRegistry.com for starters, then try www.TurboBuick.com

Speedparts kit is Firbreglass and they wont ship to the states since its to easy to break. Cops will hunt you down no matter what you drive. Once they know who you are, it doesnt matter what you have. What part of NY are you in?

The best website for getting started on Saabs is Erics website. I think a link is located in the Tech.help section at the top of this site.[/url]

ERP
25th January 2003, 03:14 PM
Just don't do this,

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/236000-236999/236732_38_full.jpg

More pics here,
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/rcmdesign

It's not the decals the bother me, it's the fact that the guy used Japanese lettering on a Swedish car. I have more faith in you iceboy21 than that guy. Check out my website for lots of good info. For a loud exhaust get the sport exhaust and the JT 3" downpipe without the cat. I had this for a while before I added a cat and it was loud. Or for a cheap solution you can just remove the cat from the stock exhaust, I have a picture under my Performance section.

In regards to body kits there are very few and they are very expensive. Where in NY do you guys get together?

Eric
1996 900 SE
242 hp
262 ft-lbs

iceboy21
25th January 2003, 04:22 PM
im a little over an hour outside the city...my friends go to shows all over like poughkipsie, and kingston, and middletown. Im not lookin to rice it in any way just get some atention with noise...i was lookin into the jt 3" pipe but its all a little outta my budget, well atleast the price i saw. What kits are there besides speed parts?cuz id like some sorta kit but if there too expensive... :roll:

Munki
25th January 2003, 05:15 PM
ERP....please tell me that is a Photoshop job and NOT real... :o

ERP
25th January 2003, 05:55 PM
Sorry - it is real. The guy who owns it lives about an hour south of me. Click on the link to see more pictures, here is one of them.

Ouch - it hurts my eyes :x
http://images.cardomain.com/installs/236000-236999/236732_47_full.jpg

In his defense he is removing the Japanese decals and is going to put on some Swedish ones.

Munki
25th January 2003, 05:59 PM
Please....take him outside and shoot him before he harms another Saab...it's for the best... :cheesy:

Joke....I know you lot have guns... :o

SaxyWeed
25th January 2003, 06:02 PM
Talking about other turbo cars I'm actually quite fond of the Lingenfelter Turbo Vettes. 725HP in a 3300 pound car.. But I'm just a poor college student who is a hell of a lot more than satisfied with his Saab.

jpgibson
25th January 2003, 06:04 PM
im sorry-each to thier own and all that-but the thing about these cars are theyre sleepers-i had a galant vr4 before the saab -another sleeper.
yellow interior????ok if it was carbonfibre-this'guy' needs help.is there a crisis line he can call?
jonathan
completely stock exterior/saab 16" wheels/dark tinted windows

Jeremy R.
25th January 2003, 06:58 PM
The cheapest "body kit" (if you can even call it that), is just the accessory front lip spoiler, a pair of 9-3 side sills, and the standard rear spoiler. Here's a picture of my 1997 900 Talladega, which has all that, plus the way too hard to find top spoiler, a set of 17" 9-3 Aero wheels, and a Fuba antenna for good measure. It's nothing fancy, but the little punks in Hondas sure seem to think I want to race them. There are a couple more pictures at http://www.saabclubseattle.org/JRivas.html

http://www.saabclubseattle.org/images/JRivas/Jeremy1.jpg

Munki
25th January 2003, 07:21 PM
Now doesn't that (Jeremy's car) look soooo much better... :-??
Under-statement is the way to go...and if the Honda boys don't get it then...who are the fools... :-??

ERP
25th January 2003, 07:22 PM
Jeremy R. - Looks great, one of the nicest I've seen. So how did you get that top spoiler? I don't know of anyone else in the US that has one, I would love to find a source. I'll guess that it came from central Europe and cost quite a bit though.

iceboy21
25th January 2003, 11:45 PM
nice car jeremy...whered you get the body pieces? i really like the side skirts cept the whole setup looks really expensive :cry: any more information would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

Tweek's Turbos
26th January 2003, 01:33 AM
For body pieces and parts, I like www.thesaabsite.com I picked up my Zimmerman cross drilled rotors there for half of what my dealership wanted :roll: The JT 3 inch pipe without the cat is only $275 I figured that as cheap compared to a Terry Houston 3 in DP for my buick going for around $500 and being a little shorter.

Saxy, those Vettes are nice, but a littler steep in the $$. besides I dont want all my cars to handle nicely :cheesy:

ERP
26th January 2003, 02:28 PM
This is to make up for the unsightly pics I posted earlier. :)

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/gallery/010604sb.jpg

iceboy21
26th January 2003, 10:08 PM
:o thats a sweet lookin saab...especially with the top rear spoiler! Those are all the viggen body pieces? i definetly need to get to work on savin for one of those lol...

ERP
26th January 2003, 11:12 PM
Those are all the viggen body pieces?

Actually none of them are Viggen parts. The front is the stock bumper with the chin spoiler, which you can get from the Saab Catalog. The side skirts are from Abbott and the rear bumper is stock. The roof spoiler was only offered in Europe and had been discontinued. I don't know it is possible to get them any more.

turbosb
27th January 2003, 11:27 AM
ERP - Do you know where to get that "Viggen Lightening Body kit" that the guy with the unsightly chinese convered Saab has at his sounddomain website? I've never seen that before and I think it looks sweet.

SaxyWeed
27th January 2003, 11:50 AM
you can get that kit from www.speedparts.se

dasaabguy
28th January 2003, 02:01 AM
iceboy check out the classifieds section theres a 9-3 sport exhaust muffler for $180 p/shipping

jlorencillo
28th January 2003, 02:54 AM
Does anyone know if I Can fit a viggen stock rear bumber on a 1996 900SE? If so, will it look nice and will it fit in perfectly or do I need to modify/buy other stuff? What are the body part #'s I need to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy R.
28th January 2003, 06:32 PM
I'm glad you guys like my car. I spend way too much time on it. The pieces on it were actually fairly cheap (except the wheels). The skirts are stock 9-3 SE skirts, bought at the dealer for $120.00 each, plus $100 for the paint job. The front lip spoiler came on the Talladega version, but like ERP says, you can buy it from the Saab Catalog for somewhere around $200-$250. The top spoiler I found at Turner's Hill Saab in England. They had a used one that they shipped to me for about $250.00 total. I think I'd have a very hard time finding another after reading the posts around here. I'm sure our British friends recognize the wheels as the ones off of the 9-3 Aero. They were also from Turner's Hill, along with the Viggen exhaust. The Fuba antenna on the roof was my one concession to VW trendiness. It was painful drilling such a big hole in my car.

87SPGIN
28th January 2003, 11:38 PM
I have a borla muffler fitted to my 87 c900 and it sounds great nice deep throaty tone and not a ricey sound at all and for i think 150 and a bit of modification to stock exhast setup u will have a nice system...

20Ted
29th January 2003, 10:38 AM
Jeremy -

On the Saab Club Seattle site, you said you have SilverVision lamps in your car.

I have a set of SilverVisions, but my car has 1157's in it (dual contact) and the SilverVisions are single contact. :-?? Maybe I'm just confused??? - it wouldn't be anything new :oops:

Mark P
29th January 2003, 11:00 AM
Jeremy..

Your car is a stunner! One of the best looking GMs I've seen!

I even scrambled on the floor yesterday to see if I could see how the side sills fit on (I'm that impressed!)

Jeremy R.
29th January 2003, 01:37 PM
The sills are very easy to put on, no more than 30 minutes. Strangely enough they're easier to put on then the stock two-piece versions on the coupe. Go figure. Ted20, you're right, US cars won't take Silvervisions. The European corner lights I got from Abbott Racing came with the PY21W single contact sockets, so that's how I got them in. The only downside is you lose the orange parking lights, but I don't mind, and the police haven't pulled me over yet!

swedishmotors
29th January 2003, 05:16 PM
Does anyone know if I Can fit a viggen stock rear bumber on a 1996 900SE? If so, will it look nice and will it fit in perfectly or do I need to modify/buy other stuff? What are the body part #'s I need to buy.

Thanks in advance.

I looked into a front bumper before, for a NG900 you will spend between $1500 - $2000 after paint and mods. I don't know about a rear.

JUST BUY A VIGGEN - TRUST ME.

$1500 that's about 3 payments, and you'll thank yourself every time you look in the driveway 8)

jlorencillo
30th January 2003, 02:04 PM
The reason I want to get a rear viggen bumper is that my car just got into an accident and the body shop is going to replace the rear bumber with a new one. Therefore, I was gonna upgrade to the viggen. Would the price to fit a vigen bumper instead of the stock bumber be way more expensive? Is this a good idea? Would the rear bumber look good if I don't have the side skirts and the front viggen bumper?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Jeremy R.
30th January 2003, 06:22 PM
A Viggen rear bumper cover is about $600 versus $400 for the 900's cover. You'll also have to buy new side clips for it, but I can't imagine those are very expensive. The downside to just having a Viggen rear bumper is it will hang down much lower than the stock one (lower than your sills even), which would look funny from the side. I've thought a 9-3 bumper would match better, and still gives you the option of installing a rear skirt. The Viggen's front bumper is where the big expense is. I think they charge you $300 just for that mesh grille insert.

ERP
30th January 2003, 09:17 PM
In your situation it would be nice to go for the Viggen rear, and the side sills aren't too expensive. For the front you should get the front chin spoiler. It's not too expensive and it fill complete the effect. The yellow Saab that I posted earlier on page 2 has the front chin spoiler, to give you an idea.

Eric

jlorencillo
31st January 2003, 02:04 AM
Thanks guys for your opinions. I think, I might go with the 9-3 rear cover, side sills, and the front spoiler lip. Would that look good?

swedishmotors
31st January 2003, 08:04 AM
Okay here's the list,

51 20 308 - Viggen Rear Bumper cover (unpainted) - $640.00

Basically everything else is different, in comparison to a 94-98 model. So you would also need the following:

49 59 763 - Retainer, Cover - $21.00
53 32 689 - Bracket, Cover (Right) - $9.20
43 98 632 - Bracket, Cover (Left) - $11.00
51 22 676 - Side Retainer (Left or Right) - $57.00 x 2
51 22 536 - Cover (This is the rear of the wheel well,
right) - $80.00
51 22 544 - Cover (This is the rear of the wheel well,
left) - $69.00
54 00 031 - Inner cover (Left or Right) - $44.00 x 2
49 14 966 - Cover Support (Right) - $26.00
49 14 958 - Cover Support (Left) - $26.00

So the complete transformation would run $1100 asuming everything here is neccesary. Plus Paint, and then reconstruction.

Viggen Side Skirts are $440.00 a side plus The Viggen Door Sills, about $93.00 each x 4. Plus Frame point covers at $55.00 each x 4.

So there's another $1500 plus paint.

jlorencillo
31st January 2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the list. I really appreciate it. It's more expensive than I thought.:roll: Do you guys think it is worth for me just to upgrade to the 9-3 rear cover? so it has a new look?

If I just upgrade the rear cover to the 9-3, I would just need to buy:

- Retainer, Cover
- Bracket, Cover (Right)
- Bracket, Cover (Left)
- Side Retainer (Left or Right)
- Cover for Wheel Well(Right)
- Cover for Wheel Well (Left)
- Inner cover (Right)
- Inner cover (Left)
- Cover Support (Right)
- Cover Support (Left)

Are the part #'s posted in the previous post the same ones if I upgrade to the 9-3 rear cover.
Thanks.

dasaabguy
6th February 2003, 04:52 PM
Hey Erp do you have any idea how much the Front bumper lip cost on the yellow saab? can i order it online or do i go throught the dealer?

CleveSaab
6th February 2003, 05:20 PM
You can get the 900 front spoiler direct from
Saab.

http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=Saab+Catalog&category%5Fname=Drive9h9k%3AFront+Lip+Spoiler%2D90 0&Page=1

homesturunner
26th March 2003, 06:26 AM
I'm addicted to turbo cars ( subarus wrx, acura rsx) but especially saabs,

I know that this thread is a little bit old, but I couldnt resist. Since when has Honda ever produced a turobo car? :nono; And where in this post does it prove that Hondas are stupid?

Felbie
26th March 2003, 09:09 AM
acura RSX isnt turboed, and the ones that are, there are barely any of em, i live where they sell the kit and used to drive an rsx..just wanted to say that

homesturunner
26th March 2003, 01:01 PM
NO Acrua is turbocharged.

Jeremy R.
26th March 2003, 01:41 PM
How about supercharged? Jackson Racing makes a nice kit for some Hondas and Acuras that adds 40hp or so, but it's about $3000. I could see one of those giving our cars some trouble at a stoplight. For a little while I though about supercharging my old 4WD Civic wagon since it can use the CRX Si supercharger, but $3000 was a little much.

homesturunner
26th March 2003, 05:44 PM
How about supercharged? Jackson Racing makes a nice kit for some Hondas and Acuras that adds 40hp or so, but it's about $3000. I could see one of those giving our cars some trouble at a stoplight. For a little while I though about supercharging my old 4WD Civic wagon since it can use the CRX Si supercharger, but $3000 was a little much.

I am talking about from factory. There are plenty of turbocharged and superchared Honda/Acuras out there. Unless it's a V8, supercharging is a waste of time and money. And honestly, I think supercharging is a waste of time period. There is nothing you can do to a car that will achieve more horsepower than a turbcharger, PERIOD. Anyone who has read up on turbos knows that this is the truth.

volospian
11th April 2003, 03:56 PM
you can get that kit from www.speedparts.se

Anyone speak swedish :cheesy:

MattsSAAB
12th April 2003, 10:37 PM
What wheels are those on the Yello Car!!!?

I want THOSE!

Thanks
Matt

volospian
13th April 2003, 03:25 PM
What wheels are those on the Yello Car!!!?

I want THOSE!

Thanks
Matt

I think they are these http://www.performancealloys.com/uploadedimages/26_1.jpg

If so, they are BBS RC's available at http://www.performancealloys.com/index1.htm

If you search for saab with the year 1999 (or so) and then select 93 they are on the third page (at least they are for me :cheesy: )

MattsSAAB
15th April 2003, 05:53 PM
Thanks, volospian!

Matt