Citylights?? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Citylights??

20Ted
24th January 2003, 06:45 PM
Do the euro-spec (e-code) headlights have citylights in them?

If not, has anyone attempted modifying the headlight housing to install citylights? I had them on my GTI, and really liked them - enough light to help other drivers see you car when it's not dark enough for headlights (plus the citylights don't blind oncoming traffic) - not to mention that they look really good, too!

Simon
24th January 2003, 07:45 PM
Are they like what we call daytime running lights?

Simon.

SaxyWeed
24th January 2003, 08:41 PM
Are you talking about the second smaller bulb inside the headlights?? Here in the States and also in Canada we have daytime running lights and they're usually just the same as making you have your headlights on the whole time. I think saabs have those citylights in them, not just daytime running) from what you're talking about.

20Ted
25th January 2003, 02:18 AM
Simon : I'm not sure if that's what you guys call daytime running lights. I think that what we call citylights, you call parking lights (but not the orange/amber side ones) - the glowing headlights.Our DRLs are just the headlights on - ugly!

SaxyWeed : yep - the extra light bulb inside the headlight unit that just gives a glow to the headlights. On my GTI, I had the DRLs disabled, and ordered the European headlight switch, which allowed me to run the citylights.

Take a look at the next VW Golf or GTI (the new ones) and you can see that there are two lights going in each headlamp - one is the "normal headlight" on the outside part of the lamp, and the citylight glowing on the inner part of each lamp. Those two lights don't operate independantly in North America (because of the DRLs), but in Europe they operate seperately.

So - anyone know - do the Euro spec lights have the citylights in them - I plan on heading to the dealer next week to have my DRLs disabled, but would like to be able to get citylights up and going. Maybe I'll just do my own...

SaxyWeed
25th January 2003, 06:09 AM
Here's the story with my Saab.. My headlights have two bulbs. The regular headlight bulb and then the citylight bulb. When i have the headlights on all the way both are burning. When the headlights are all the way off only the citylight bulb is burning. Right now there is no way to turn the citylights off. There might be a fuse somewhere but i havn't had the urge to check it out.

mikej
25th January 2003, 06:27 AM
In the UK we have a very low wattage bulb(side lights),next you have a normal wattage(head lights/main beam) then you have an even higher wattage(full beam).
Side lights for driving around in an area with street lights 30ft apart(but most people use main beam)or for parking somewhere you want people to see your car and not hit it.
Main beam is for where the street lights are more than 30ft apart(as said before most people just use these anyway).
Full beam is for country lanes where there is no lighting and you want to see far ahead.
Or you can be a tw4t and use side lights with your front fogs anytime(compulsory baseball cap worn backwards).

Mark P
25th January 2003, 08:12 AM
...Or you can be a tw4t and use side lights with your front fogs anytime(compulsory baseball cap worn backwards).

LOL :lol:

Jeremy R.
25th January 2003, 07:34 PM
The city, or side, lights should come on when the headlight switch is in the parking light position, whether or not you have the DRLs activated. I think the heat from the headlights tends to make them burn out very quickly, so if you don't notice yours coming on when you turn on the parking lights, they're probably just burned out. In Europe, I don't think the cars even have the amber lights come on with the parking lights. I bought a pair of European corner lights (I hate our orange reflectors), and they have a single filament bulb that only works as a blinker. I'm sure one of the other guys here can tell me if I'm right or wrong.

mikej
25th January 2003, 07:39 PM
Yes in UK we dont have constant amber light at the front, just the indicator(blinker).
So 3 bulbs white light for driving(side,dipped/main & full) and 1 indicator(blinker).

20Ted
25th January 2003, 10:22 PM
Alrighty...here's what I want:

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=XxXPloSiVePNoIxX&album_id=70491&image_id=2&courtesy=1

that's the citylight on the Golf.

I want to be able to do that in my Saab headlights...[/img]

mikej
26th January 2003, 10:18 AM
Looks like side lights to me (5w bulb)
Standard in UK so try a UK light.