Screenwash stopped working [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Screenwash stopped working

Matt Phelps
21st January 2003, 01:00 PM
I can't get anything out of my screenwashers anymore and bizzarely I seem to be getting though screenwash like nobody's business! I keep topping it up, trying the washer (which won't squirt) and then a few days later trying again. I think the washers on the headlights is working okay but not the windscreen.

I was wondering if there might be way of cleaning the jets out in case they are dirty, but I can't trace the tubes back through the engine bay very easily. Also, is there a fuse for the screenwash maybe?

21st January 2003, 01:02 PM
You could try using a needle to clear the jets on the bonnet.


21st January 2003, 06:11 PM
Try running the washers for a bit, then looking under the car after a while. Is that where the screenwash is going? If so, you may need a new valve somewhere in the system as they do leak eventually. They're only about 1.50 each, but some of them take a bit of getting at.

24th January 2003, 08:14 PM
92 SAAB 9000 is leaking badly from a joint in under the water bottle. Very hard to get at as you have to jack uo the car and remove cover. Also, for some reason rear window spray is not working. I presume both front and rear are filled from the same bottle.

26th January 2003, 01:07 PM
There are one-way valves near the hood-mounted nozzles. They are designed to allow liquid to be pumped forward to the nozzles, but prevent all the liquid from later flowing back down into the reservoir.

On my '95 9000, I recall that they are spliced into the tubing under the hood. Same on my wife's '94 900.

Replacement is cheap and easy. For both my cars, this fixed the problem.

14th February 2003, 03:21 AM
I had a similar problem with my wiper fluid. Check under the car after refilling the fluid -- see if there's a strong leak. My fluid stopped working, and then I found out that the fluid was simply pouring out underneath the car. There's a tube underneath that somehow got disconnected -- I still have to reconnect it, but haven't had a chance yet. Anyone know if this will be a major undertaking?

14th February 2003, 07:40 PM
Hey, Matt! I solved my problem, maybe this can help you.

Again, I had pretty much identical symptoms. All my fluid was running out a loose tube which connected near the bottom of my fluid reservoir (You can see it if you get on your back and look under the left front corner of the car.)

After looking around for a few minutes today (from the top of the car, with the hood up), I was able to find a black tube with a nozzle about 12 inches behind the wiper fluid cap. It's about 12 inches down as well, so you have to look a little. It's clipped to at least one other black tube, but simply has an exposed nozzle, while the other one is connected to a another tube which runs to the bottom of the reservoir.

Using my deductive reasoning abilities, I surmised that the exposed nozzle might go into the loose tube. It took some doing, but by pushing up on the loose tube from below, I was able to raise to to where I could grab it from above. At that point, it was not too difficult to re-connect it to the exposed nozzle. (Make sure it's pushed on all the way.)

This fixed the problem, and I now have fluid to both my front and rear windows.

(It is important to note that after re-connecting, you should top off your reservoir fluid to the top, and push your spray repeatedly for several minutes. It took a few minutes before the air pressure (I guess) built up -- at first the spray still didn't work at all, but after a few minutes I had powerful jets spraying my windshield -- first out of one jet, then both. They now both work fine. (I think this is actually normal whenever the spray pumps temporarily lose pressure.))

I realize this repair may seem ridiculously simple to many readers, but I was extremely pleased that I was able to do this and save myself the $$ for a professional repair. I hope that your problem is resolved as easily.