question about the ecotec 2.0 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: question about the ecotec 2.0

selfinfliction
19th November 2005, 01:53 PM
hey guys, i was working on my car today and i noticed the head on the cobalt ss 2.0 is a saab head. i read somewhere a while back that people can do a 2.3 head swap, but i don't know if it's actually worth it.

also, does anyone have links for aftermarket cams for the 2.0 head? cause there are no companies that sell them as cobalt cams yet.

thanks for any info

900t
21st November 2005, 12:09 AM
What was the question?

selfinfliction
21st November 2005, 12:20 AM
What was the question?

oops i just re-read the post.. i guess it was a little confusing cause i was in a hurry to leave when i posted lol

for the people who have swapped out the 2.0 head for the 2.3, what kind of gains have you seen? not necessarily hp gains, but did the psi drop from the larger ports? are there any special procedures for the swap? etc.

and the second part was asking if there are any manufacturers that have made good aftermarket cams for the 2.0L turbo saab heads, because our market is severely limited being that the cobalts are still pretty green cars.

thanks for any info

Automaggot
21st November 2005, 12:24 AM
Are you talking about the 9-3 Sport Sedan? I don't think anyone's swapped heads.

bkrell
21st November 2005, 02:25 AM
I think the head swap you are thinking of is the 2.0 for 2.3 in the 99-03 9-3. This isn't the same engine as the ecotec.

selfinfliction
21st November 2005, 12:00 PM
I think the head swap you are thinking of is the 2.0 for 2.3 in the 99-03 9-3. This isn't the same engine as the ecotec.

the 2.0 is almost identical to ths saab ecotec, and if it's already got a saab 2.0 head on it, what issues would you see with the 2.3 head swap? i'm pretty sure our engines are almost, if not exactly alike. except that we have a supercharger, and you have a turbo.(we run up to 14psi stock, not sure what you guys run) in the 07 models the ss is actually going to a turbo 2.0 though

boxman
21st November 2005, 12:12 PM
the cylinder head on a 2.0 saab engine from 94 is the same as the 2.3 head with the exception of the viggen that has differant valves and a differant inlet cam

bkrell
21st November 2005, 12:21 PM
I don't know, I think we still have some wires crossed here. I'm gonna see if this can be moved into the 900/9-3 performance forum and get some more thoughts here. I really think the ecotec 2.0 in 03- Saabs/cobalts/ions is a bit different than the previous 2.0. found in 94-02 9-3's/9-5's where the 2.0/2.3 swap can be done. Maybe I'm wrong....

Rob in Atlanta
21st November 2005, 12:22 PM
the 2.0 is almost identical to ths saab ecotec, and if it's already got a saab 2.0 head on it, what issues would you see with the 2.3 head swap? i'm pretty sure our engines are almost, if not exactly alike. except that we have a supercharger, and you have a turbo.(we run up to 14psi stock, not sure what you guys run) in the 07 models the ss is actually going to a turbo 2.0 thoughWhich 2.3 liter head are you talking about? The ecotec in SAAB's come ONLY in two size varieties - 1.8 and 2.0. If you are talking about the 2.3 liter in the NG 900 or Viggen or the 2.3 liter in the 9-5, then that is not an ecotec engine.

selfinfliction
21st November 2005, 12:43 PM
Which 2.3 liter head are you talking about?

i'm not sure.. i don't know anything about the saab cars, i'm just trying to put together abstract peices i've found over the last few weeks to see if anyone knows that the saab 2.3 can go on an '05 2.0 ecotec block

Rob in Atlanta
21st November 2005, 12:54 PM
i'm not sure.. i don't know anything about the saab cars, i'm just trying to put together abstract peices i've found over the last few weeks to see if anyone knows that the saab 2.3 can go on an '05 2.0 ecotec blockI haven't heard of anyone putting the B234/B235 heads on an Ecotec engine block. Since the B234/B235 has its origins back in the late 1970's/early 1980's, I would assume that most components, including the heads, would not be easily fitted to the Ecotec block. Wikipedia has a nice article on the history of the SAAB B/H engines and on the Ecotec if you are curious.

Troll_speed
21st November 2005, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by boxman
"the cylinder head on a 2.0 saab engine from 94 is the same as the 2.3 head with the exception of the viggen that has differant valves and a differant inlet cam"

This makes me curious then.

What happens when I stick a Viggen head and inlet cam on my Ng900-T?

Gains to be had?? Or a waste of time?
Is it the same as a 9-5 Aero?

mike saunders
21st November 2005, 03:07 PM
From what I've read, the displacement difference between the 2.0L and 2.3L engines is mostly due to shorter conrods in the 2.3 and not to any head differences. Case in point being the 2.0L B205R engines (9-3 HOT) and the 2.3L B235R engines (Viggen and 9-5 Aero), which share the same head and pistons....

The Ecotec engines share partial Saab heritage, but I'm not sure the heads are a direct swap. Without knowing for sure, it would be an expensive experiment....

Jeremy R.
21st November 2005, 03:26 PM
I think we're back to the old Ecotec vs. Ecopower engine differences that came up a week or two ago. The Ecotec is the newer engine in the 9-3SS and some other GM cars. The Ecopower was the more or less unrelated engine that was used in the NG900, 9000, and original 9-3. Just because they both have "Eco" in the name doesn't mean they're the same engine, or even related.

Rob in Atlanta
21st November 2005, 06:43 PM
I think we're back to the old Ecotec vs. Ecopower engine differences that came up a week or two ago. The Ecotec is the newer engine in the 9-3SS and some other GM cars. The Ecopower was the more or less unrelated engine that was used in the NG900, 9000, and original 9-3. Just because they both have "Eco" in the name doesn't mean they're the same engine, or even related.You are correct. The Ecotec is a complete "ground-up" engine design by GM begun in the late 1990's. It shares no design or heritage in common with the older SAAB B/H engine family.

Troll_speed
21st November 2005, 11:08 PM
My point was horsepower gains if the head from the Viggen/9-5 Aero was bolted to my '95 2ltr turbo since someone said the valves were different.
A port and polish may be cheaper. (see below)

Or what gains can be had (or lost) with the addition of the inlet cam.
(does anyone even make performance cams?)

I realize costs may be an issue but one never knows what may be found down at the scrap-yard.

Chris

Jeremy R.
22nd November 2005, 02:00 AM
There may be some small gains, but most of the Viggen's additional power was just from the additional .3 liters, like someone had said earlier. It was done by increasing the stroke, so that may be an option on 2.0 cars, but I don't know of anyone who's actually done that.

boxman
22nd November 2005, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by boxman
"the cylinder head on a 2.0 saab engine from 94 is the same as the 2.3 head with the exception of the viggen that has differant valves and a differant inlet cam"

This makes me curious then.

What happens when I stick a Viggen head and inlet cam on my Ng900-T?

Gains to be had?? Or a waste of time?
Is it the same as a 9-5 Aero?it wont work cus trionic 7 inlet manifold is differant to trionic 5 so the t5 inlet manifold will not fit the t7 head

Troll_speed
22nd November 2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks Box.

(sorry for hijacking the thread)

Chris

mike saunders
23rd November 2005, 07:22 PM
it wont work cus trionic 7 inlet manifold is differant to trionic 5 so the t5 inlet manifold will not fit the t7 head

Very true....The T5 manifold won't match up with the t7 head at all...

To make it work, at least from the intake standpoint, you'd need both the T7 head and intake manifold, and mate your T5 throttle body to them with some sort of an adapter plate. I used a block of phenolic plastic to do mine...

Troll_speed
23rd November 2005, 11:56 PM
Sounds like a headache.

Are the gains worth it?

Would the Throttle from the T7 have been a better fit or not at all?

Chris

mike saunders
24th November 2005, 12:45 PM
I think we're back to the old Ecotec vs. Ecopower engine differences that came up a week or two ago. The Ecotec is the newer engine in the 9-3SS and some other GM cars. The Ecopower was the more or less unrelated engine that was used in the NG900, 9000, and original 9-3. Just because they both have "Eco" in the name doesn't mean they're the same engine, or even related.

Definitely not the same engine, you're right about that.

AFAIK, the only Saab connection was that part of the engine engineering team worked on both Ecopower and later, Ecotec. Saab guys contributed some of the extensive knowledge they had with the DOHC 4-cyls. (Saab's intellectual capital was one of the reasons GM bought them, or at least that's what they said....)

Unfortunately, not many directly swappable parts that I know of. GM supports the crap out of the Ecotec and has a great catalog that Ecotec tuners use to order crate engines, different cams, bigger pistons, etc., and there's nothing that I've seen that indicates a possibility of a Saab parts exchange...

Pisses me off to no end...:evil: