What do you think! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: What do you think!

rez-1
17-01-03, 12:44 PM
Here's my deal. I have owned and still own a 95 Jeep wranger, 6 1/2 " of lift 35" tires blah blah, My ? i Just bought a 98 Saab 900 SE turbo. and its soooooooo much qucker than the jeep. The jeep i could barely do 65 on the highway. Now that i drive the saab every day to work (110 miles per day), I have trouble doing under 85MPH and love to get on it and cruise up to higher speeds every so often, this is a everyday thing, normally the car never goes under 80 unless on the backroads. SO.... DO you think im beating the car, can it handle the "workout" . I dont want to kill the car before i even own it for a year. its got 40k on it.
thanks

p.s. I am a safe driver and never would put others in danger...these are open highways, not travelled to much at the times i drive,

Tweek's Turbos
17-01-03, 01:34 PM
I say let 'er rip. My first 6 months I had mine I took it easy, that didn't last. 85 in 5th is still only like 4k RPMs right? Change the oil right, keep her tuned, She'll treat ya fine. The only thing I can think of is some mods to make the drive easier on the engine. Good excuse huh :cheesy:

Jeremy R.
17-01-03, 01:37 PM
Your Saab is just loafing along. Those are completely different vehicles you're comparing. The Jeep's engine is tuned for low end torque for low speed offroading and city driving while the Saab's engine is tuned for highway cruising. European cars need to be able to safely cruise at very high speeds (faster than you're going) on the autobahn. The only downside I can think of is your mileage at 85 won't be as good as it is at 65, but what's the fun in that?

rez-1
17-01-03, 01:42 PM
Your Saab is just loafing along. Those are completely different vehicles you're comparing. The Jeep's engine is tuned for low end torque for low speed offroading and city driving while the Saab's engine is tuned for highway cruising. European cars need to be able to safely cruise at very high speeds (faster than you're going) on the autobahn. The only downside I can think of is your mileage at 85 won't be as good as it is at 65, but what's the fun in that?

yeah... i wasnt comparing, just saying that i was used to going 65 in my jeep and now that i can go 100 plus, i always do...

rez-1
17-01-03, 01:46 PM
I say let 'er rip. My first 6 months I had mine I took it easy, that didn't last. 85 in 5th is still only like 4k RPMs right? Change the oil right, keep her tuned, She'll treat ya fine. The only thing I can think of is some mods to make the drive easier on the engine. Good excuse huh :cheesy:

I like your thinking!!! Now i just gotta wait for taxs and figure out what to by for my first mods!

Tweek's Turbos
17-01-03, 08:41 PM
I gots me enought money to buy a JT 3 inch DP, I just have to wait for the bank to send me my new rectangular plastic parts acquisitioner unit. I going to forgo the cat for a while and see what thats like. 8)

ERP
18-01-03, 10:54 PM
rez-1 - My suggestion is to use synthetic oil. I use Mobil 1 tri-synthetic 15w-50 for my modified Saab. It will give you better protection for the sustained higher rpms. For safety and performance reasons I highly recommend you get lowering springs and the SAS rear anti-sway bar. It will help make the high speed runs a lot more stable. I've taken mine up to 135 mph and it was rock solid. You can find all the info on my website.

Eric

supermottl
31-01-03, 10:34 AM
Hey,
I too have a truck, a lifted 73 bronco w/ 35' tires. Your going faster than 65. Did you change the speedo ratio?? Those bigger tires mean the axles turn less, hence less speed it showing on the speedo. Get next to a buddy and get side by side. See how fast he's going and compare your speed. IN my bronco, I show 40mph, my friends showed 47 - BIG DIFFERENCE!!!
We're both in the same boat... I got my 9-3 less that a year ago, can't keep it below 70.
I second the springs and SAS sway bar... much better control

jlorencillo
31-01-03, 03:47 PM
Where do you guys recomend I buy the lowering springs and SAS anti-sway bar? Which springs do you guys recomend?

Thanks,
Jimmy

rez-1
31-01-03, 11:48 PM
Hey,
I too have a truck, a lifted 73 bronco w/ 35' tires. Your going faster than 65. Did you change the speedo ratio?? Those bigger tires mean the axles turn less, hence less speed it showing on the speedo. Get next to a buddy and get side by side. See how fast he's going and compare your speed. IN my bronco, I show 40mph, my friends showed 47 - BIG DIFFERENCE!!!
We're both in the same boat... I got my 9-3 less that a year ago, can't keep it below 70.
I second the springs and SAS sway bar... much better control

I actually averaged about 70 mph in the jeep! with the 35's, my speedo doesn't work at all, but i drove beside my girls car and she said i wasd ding 70, i didnt mention that the jeep is a 4 banger with stock 4:10 gears pushing 35's!!

i'm looking into the sway bar at the moment, gonna make that purchase, hopwefully the saab will handle better with that mod.

ragtopcav
02-02-03, 07:55 PM
you think the Wrangler Jeep is bad over hear a Saab NG900 is a wallowy tractor which needs serious work!

Munki
02-02-03, 08:00 PM
you think the Wrangler Jeep is bad over hear a Saab NG900 is a wallowy tractor which needs serious work!
I'll be sorting that in March at the Kodak meeting (new springs and possibly shocks as well)...the best description of the handling of the NG900 that I've heard is "It's like driving a marshmallow through custard".
Having said that if you drive the average American car the NG900 handles like a small sports car in comparison... :!

ragtopcav
02-02-03, 08:47 PM
Yup! totally agree on that.