SaabCentral Forums banner

98 NG900 convertible help

729 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  paul18k 
#1 ·
The motor on my soft top just went. I was able to almost get it closed (it was making a clicking/grinding sound on the way up) when the motor finally died. I undid the latch behind the back seat and closed the roof the rest of the way. Problem is that the rear part of the soft top didn't latch down leaving me with a 3" space. Is there anyway to get this gap closed?
I have a mechanic (works for the local SAAB dlr and said he'd do it on the side) who said he could replace the motor for $900. I'd rather get the motor replaced in the spring ($900 would put a big dent in my xmas plans) so I'd love to find if there's a way to get the top buttoned down for the winter.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, is $900 a good deal in motor replacement?
Thanks, Dan

#2 ·
The motor for the roof's fifth bow provides the lockdown; once the motors are disengaged then it will stay open a little bit. I don't know whether it would be adviseable to tape the fifth bow down to the tonneau with ducktape until you get it fixed; can anyone add to that last comment?

#4 ·
tech 2

My saab 96 has exactly the samed problem. with this 3inch gap at the back. However there is a simple solution. Take it to an authorised Saab dealership who have 'Tech 2' on site. They can button the hood down, in england this costs about £100 to do. I am going to get mine done when my student loan comes thru.
its frustrating driving it with the gap, but i have stood on it, and kicked it down so it now doesnt look that bad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.