Air Flow Meter? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Air Flow Meter?

9000s_91
10th January 2003, 11:14 AM
First time on the board. Glad to find it. Saabs are great, but the problem is, there's not enough of them in my area.

Other day my 91 9000s started running horribly. I could rev it up to about 4K and it would idle great, but as soon as I let off the gas, it would sputter and die. Went back 3 hours later and it ran like a champ. Spoke to a friend and he said it sounded like the mass air meter. I've replaced the DI about 8 months ago, so that's new. He let me borrow another 019 meter, but it hasn't acted up again. Now my question.

How much are you blokes paying for used Mass air meters over in the UK? I've got a lead on one for $75 used, but I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. Thanks for any help.

Also let me know if that sounds like the problem. I pulled codes last night and all I got was a "no ignition input" which the notes said ignore if your car runs (which mine does now). Give me some thoughts fellows.

tom

Simon
10th January 2003, 11:17 AM
Welcome to SaabCentral Tom,

$75.00 seems like a good price, pretty much the same as what you would pay for one second hand in the U.K.

Simon.

9000s_91
10th January 2003, 11:30 AM
Simon,

Thanks. Does that sound like the fix to the problem that reared it's ugly head?

tom

Simon
10th January 2003, 01:15 PM
My knowledge of 9000's is rather limited I'm afraid.....

Simon.

9000s_91
10th January 2003, 03:05 PM
Mine too. :cry:

tom

Steve Brown
14th January 2003, 03:40 AM
Before you throw out your old airflow meter, try cleaning it with CRC Contact Cleaner, which leaves no residue but which really shifts the dirt. I simply sprayed half a can through the meter and was amazed at the dirt which came out.
It worked a treat on my '93 9000 CD which now runs really well, the 'staggers and lurches' have disappeared.

9000s_91
14th January 2003, 10:06 AM
Steve,

Did you spray the wire, or where the plug goes, or the whole thing? When you say "try cleaning it with CRC contact cleaner," what exactly are you speaking of?

tom

BillJ
14th January 2003, 10:28 AM
Welcome to SaabCentral, Steve.

Do you think a good throttle body cleaner would do the job, as more car DIYers might be familiar with that? The throttle body cleaner I use is also very powerful and also leaves no residue.

Steve Brown
14th January 2003, 10:57 AM
Hi,
I've attached a picture of the stuff I used. I sprayed it liberally through the airflow meter, from both ends. What was all black suddenly became shiny aluminium, brown plastic, copper wires and silver-soldered joints. And the meter has worked perfectly ever since.
A note of caution; let the meter dry-out properly. This stuff sprays on COLD and there's condensation. Let the condensation dry-off before you re-fit the meter.

Steve Brown
14th January 2003, 10:58 AM
DAMN!!
No attachment shown!!

Steve Brown
14th January 2003, 11:13 AM
Mail me direct at <sgbrown@netvigator.com> and I shall show you exactly what I did.

9000s_91
14th January 2003, 02:49 PM
I see the attachment. I'm going to try that this evening. Hopefully that will put this sneaky problem to rest.

tom

steeza
21st June 2011, 03:39 PM
Don't mean to bring up an old thread but.... I'm having the same problem. Can anyone send me this picture they're (^) talking about? Or just explain to me where it is? Sorry, I'm a noob... :confused:

Rainbird
21st June 2011, 04:09 PM
Similar symptoms can also be caused by split vacuum hoses. If you under the bonnet poking around, check them all over. If in any doubt, replace them. The 9000 is very fussy about vacuum leaks

steeza
21st June 2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks Rainbird! I just cleaned the air flow meter... no luck

Superaero
21st June 2011, 11:01 PM
Make sure the throttle plate itself is clean. Make sure all the vacuum hoses and components are good: hooter valve and PCV non return valve. Also the FPR can go bad.

AMM is extremely reliable and if it fails the engine should still run OK just be down on power as the ECU has a limp home mode if the AMM goes out of spec.