Why not a better 9-7 GM? Are you listening??? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Why not a better 9-7 GM? Are you listening???

rdj92807
6th October 2005, 12:02 PM
I was at the California Auto Show yesterday, and one thing became very apparent. Here is what GM should have done to make the 9-7 a world class vehicle:

- Modify the Cadillac SRX into a Saab 9-7x
- Easy to do
- Reskin to look like the 9-3/front of the 9-7
- Tweak an already beautiful interior with Saab elements; vents, key in console, center console like the Saab ****pit approach
- Drop the 320 hp engine and install the current 2.8T V6 Turbo from the 9-3 Aero.....plenty of power, with better fuel economy and lower cost
- Drop the price by $3000 to start at $36,999
- It's like reverse engineering the Cadillac BLS into the Saab 9-3.

This would give Saab a world class SUV that could sell internationally.

When you look at the Cadillac SRX starting at $39,995, vs the re-badged Trailblazer/9-7x at $38 or so, you clearly see the huge problem.

GM could have had such a great Saab on their hands. GM----are you listening??????

Saabeh
6th October 2005, 02:09 PM
That, or design a completly new SUV by saab.

Lodro
6th October 2005, 05:03 PM
- Modify the Cadillac SRX into a Saab 9-7x

The vehicle that became the 9-7x *was* initially slated to be an SRX derivative. That is, until Cadillac started complaining. :(

apzer09
6th October 2005, 06:30 PM
The vehicle that became the 9-7x *was* initially slated to be an SRX derivative. That is, until Cadillac started complaining. :(
True, but now that an ex-Cadillac exec is on the Saab side now maybe he can petitiion a little, especially since the Subaru-based crossover isn't happening anymore. On top of that, the SRX hasn't been selling exactly on par with expectations either, so Saab's version can be cheaper, and it probably will make up for the lost output at the factory.

And you're right, it could be sold internationally. Wow GM, we've solved your Saab crossover problems! :cheesy:

squishmann
7th October 2005, 11:09 AM
it was too expensive at the time b/c it was such a new platform. since GM was dropping Olds it only cost saab a pair of nickels to make a truck on the GMT360

AnF_Saab
7th October 2005, 08:27 PM
I kind of like the idea of using the SRX and Simga platform for the basis, getting the kind of reviews the GMT360 platform could only dream of. Since the SRX can handle three row of seating, I'd say let that take the place of the now canceled 9-6X.

Took a stab at it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/AnF_Jeep/Final.jpg

Lodro
7th October 2005, 08:30 PM
Took a stab at it

It'd have to be the 9-8x as it would be upmarket of 9-7..?

The Alchemist
8th November 2005, 09:17 AM
I couldn't dissagree with you more. The wife and I drove the SRX and while it was nice, I didn't like the seating positions at all. It felt more like a Subaru outback than a luxury SUV. It was too similar to the Chrylser Pacifica which we didn't like either.

We love our 9-7x, but at times I wish we had gotten the v8 instead of the 4.2I, but then again I have a 430hp trans am for speed.

mike saunders
8th November 2005, 02:15 PM
A V6 in that big a vehicle would make it a dog, and an especially slow and ungainly dog at that.

There's really not much difference between the two vehicles as is....

earthworm
8th November 2005, 09:28 PM
GM could have had such a great Saab on their hands. GM----are you listening??????

The General hears nothing, the same as a dead man in his coffin.
And all the bean-counters are hiding in their ivory towers, they do not want to hear anything..

As it is now, the 9-7 is just another Oldsmobile, with a "Saab" face.
Not too bad a vehicle really, for those who need a medium sized SUV...Now, If Saab were to be a full partner in a new Trailblazer, Envoy,97X , crossover....VW and Porsche Tuareg competitor ,
that would be most interesting...

apzer09
8th November 2005, 11:00 PM
Raise your hand if you've actually driven a 9-7x. Anybody?

mike saunders
8th November 2005, 11:15 PM
http://epage.pvusd.k12.az.us/siteweb/images/raisedHandBoy.jpg

Drove one (Arc) at the Saab Owners Convention

and had a long-term (10-day) rental of a TrailBlazer in 04....

9-7 handles much better. No contest.

Putting a 250hp Aero V6 in that beast isn't the way to go. Leave the 4.2L six in there and hurry up with D.O.D for the Arc! :)

dbluegoat
9th November 2005, 03:11 AM
I had an 04 Envoy traded up to a 9-7 arc.......LOVE IT!

I have had it a couple months now and its awesome........much better than my envoy