Where can I find a good clutch? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Where can I find a good clutch?

Swedishdynamics3
7th January 2003, 02:24 PM
I need to find a better clutch than the stock. Where can I find one? I have already replace master and slave cylinder once, they said it was "normal repair"

BillJ
7th January 2003, 07:52 PM
Do you have a modified engine? If not, the standard clutch should be as good as you'll ever need. The 9000 clutch isn't known for being a weak point. You don't say what 9000 you have. Some models, when tuned, will benefit fron having the clutch fitted from a more powerful model. With extreme tuning, it might be necessary to go to a race clutch or a heavy-duty pressure plate or both.

Swedishdynamics3
8th January 2003, 11:31 AM
I have a 94 9000 CSE n/a but a full set of clutch cylinders at 60,000 miles isn't normal repair (Thats my opinion) but my dealer said it was normal repair!?

BillJ
8th January 2003, 07:02 PM
I see what you mean now.

The slave cylinder can fail sometimes at such a low mileage. It probably isn't very common, but you can be unlucky. This is the expensive bit, as the gearbox must come out to access the slave cylinder. The master can fail and is a fairly straightforward repair and not terribly expensive.
However, did both fail at once? It seems unlikely. Did your dealer say why both cylinders had to be replaced?

As far as I know, there are no uprated cylinders on the market, although there may be alternate suppliers of the standard parts.

Swedishdynamics3
8th January 2003, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. Both Cylinders failed at once, it's kind of weird that both failed at the same time. The dealer had no real explanation, all they said is "it's a normal repair item" which I find hard to believe. The job in total cost upwards of $775. Is it me or does that sound a little expensive? It could just be labor?

BillJ
9th January 2003, 04:28 AM
Abbott Racing recently quoted me 5 hours' labour to change the clutch, which should be around the same amount of labour as changing the slave cylinder (most of the labour would be in removing and refitting the transmission, and both will involve bleeding the clutch). I don't know what your dealer's rate is. Abbott charge less for labour than my local dealer, at around 50 (US$80) per hour, so 250 (US$400) labour total for the slave end.

They'll supply a genuine Saab slave cylinder for around 60 (US$95). No idea of the cost of a master cylinder or the labour to fit it. It's quite an easy job, though, so maybe an hour. The bleeding operation is already accounted for in the slave cylinder replacement.

From what I've heard, this is an unusual scenario. Unless there is some underlying problem that caused both cylinders to fail, I'd say you're worrying needlessly about them failing again in another 60-odd thousand miles. My Aero, to my knowledge, still has the original master and slave cylinders at 172K miles, although I'll have Abbott fit a new slave as a precautionary measure next week when they do the clutch. The part is not expensive, but with the huge labour cost of replacing it, it would be folly not to replace it when the transmission is out anyway.

Alex
9th January 2003, 08:10 AM
Though if you are unlucky like myself and Alan were, when the new slave cylinder supplied turns out to be the wrong one and we have to use the original one.

BillJ
9th January 2003, 02:51 PM
Alex, see my post (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7074) further down for interesting advice from Abbott Racing about clutch replacement. I suspect, however, that Alan needs an uprated solution.

jeronimo
10th January 2003, 04:51 PM
What symptoms had you to suggest that something was wrong? Did your clutch still operate at the time that you took it to the garage??

I am very surprised that both cylinders 'failed' at the same time. As you know, they work totally independently of each other. Yes I know they work as a 'team' to operate the clutch but their respective workings have nothing in common except the fluid.

Was an incorrect fluid ever used? If so, (and I can't imagine what fluid would do it), it could have perished the seals in both cylinders. I find this a stretch of the imagination frankly, as even then, it is unlikely that they would both go at the same time. Its good to get a second opinion, even if only to keep the garagemen on their toes.

BillJ has already supplied you with figures similar to those in my neck of the woods so no need for me to go there. :)

HTH

Swedishdynamics3
12th January 2003, 09:32 AM
The clutch worked but every time wanted to shift I have to push it in then pull it off the floor with my foot. I was wondering if the dealer was joshin' me about both cylinders? It's very odd both would die.

BillJ
12th January 2003, 10:50 AM
I believe that's a symptom of a broken return spring in the master cylinder. Once the spring breaks, it usually scores the inside of the cylinder, so although the spring can be replaced separately, they were right to change the master cylinder.

It is known that sometimes after clutch work, the slave cylinder will die. Abbott tell me this is due to bleeding fresh fluid into a cylinder that hasn't seen fresh fluid in years. Dunno. Anyway, I think that I'd have changed the master cylinder only (cheap job) and waited to see whether the slave failed further down the line. Your dealer may have been trading cautiously to avoid you being stranded due to slave cylinder failure. Funny that they didn't offer you the choice, though.

BillJ
17th January 2003, 08:11 AM
Interestingly, I've just had Abbott Racing on the phone. They completed the work yesterday and today tried to drive the car and the clutch didn't work properly. Ed Abbott told me that it was likely that the master cylinder had failed (probably original at 172K miles) due to the seals working over a different part of the cylinder bore now that the slave end is all different. To be honest, it's been feeling a little odd for a while.

They're going to investigate, but a new master cylinder will be 74 + fitting.

Just thought this might be of interest in the context of this thread.

Swedishdynamics3
17th January 2003, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am still having Sensitivity problems. It seems as though the engine is undersized and when the HVAC is on there is a large drag.