My dealer left me a present [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: My dealer left me a present

thonl
26-08-05, 12:23 PM
So I had my '04 9-3 in the dealership the other day, and on my way back to work, I felt something under my left foot.

I reach down and find a connector for the ODB-II port laying on the floorboard.

It is the typical trapezoid connector for under the dash, and then the other end has a clipped connector for a pigtail that they must plug into their scan tool.

Question is, with this thing and a laptop and some basic soldering skills, is it useful to have, or should I just give it back to them?

ctrlz
26-08-05, 02:19 PM
This is probably useless.

You can pick up a CAN-bus scan tool on ebay for about $200. That will tell you a lot. It will come with its own OBD-II connector.

Of course, this is really only useful if you have error codes or other problems. You can get a lot of perfomance data as well. But you can't do too much performance work on this car without performing accompanying software changes to the ECM.

Automaggot
26-08-05, 04:43 PM
Check Ebay and see if it's worth anything. ;)

gjdavies
26-08-05, 05:00 PM
Basically to get a Tech II to work with the 9-3SS and all late model GM's you need something called a 'CANDI-BOX'

This converts the Tech II to enable it to communicate with the car.

What you have is the flylead connecting the CANDI-Box to the ODB-II port.

Not really worth keeping unless you want to get really deep into the CAN-Bus system.

Take it back and your dealer will be gratefull!!

glfaholic
28-08-05, 04:16 AM
My friend had a similar experience.. except it was a dent puller.. and it was locked back up behind his interior somewhere near his seat.. he found it cause he was hearing some funky rattling. But long story short he took it back and mentioned that I was looking to get my body kit painted.. so they quoted him 400 bucks wihtout seeing it.. so i saved some cash thx to that :) maybe.. suggest he gives you some free tech 2 tweaking in the future.. cant hurt to ask.. :)

tnkr111
28-08-05, 11:22 AM
That's the truth....

Sometimes those specialized tools, especially electrical adapters, can be pricey...hell, some of the ones used on the M1 tank cost taxpayers in excess of $10,000. I am sure the dealer would like to have that pigtail back! Just don't give the poor lad an ideas about holding it for a ransom....

soggy
28-08-05, 09:27 PM
I dont know about you guys but im a hardcore believer in karma, take it back dude :nono;