Finally some Saab news this week ! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Finally some Saab news this week !

SaabKen
25th August 2005, 02:42 PM
Sounds a bit like Swedish government trying to bribe, er I mean, provide incentives, for GM/Saab to keep local jobs and domestic parts suppliers happy. Not sure how this will impact actual Saab cars we'll see in the next 5 years. However I'm encouraged at least something happened for Saab within Sweden.

New R&D Center in Trollhattan
(http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=17555)
FOR RELEASE: 2005-08-25

GM Establishes Swedish R&D OfficeFocus on Safety, Manufacturing and Fuel Economy Trollhättan - General Motors Corp. will open a new science office in Trollhättan, Sweden that will expand GM's advanced technical work portfolio in the areas of vehicle safety, emissions and advanced manufacturing, GM announced today.

The new Science Office will develop centers of expertise in Sweden and will coordinate all R&D activities and projects. The $26 million agreement begins in 2005 and will extend through at least 2008.

"GM's extensive network of collaborators in Sweden including universities such as the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) and Chalmers University, as well as national laboratories and suppliers, is a result of Saab's outstanding work in building relationships. The Swedish government is giving us an excellent opportunity to continue to expand our global network of partners," said Alan Taub, executive director of Science at GM Research & Development laboratories in Warren, Michigan. "This is just a natural evolution of existing collaborative partnerships."

The new commitment between the Swedish government and GM will complement existing Swedish government research and development programs.

Trollhättan is also home to GM's wholly owned Saab brand widely recognized around the world for distinctive design, sporty driving experience, intriguing functional features and safety.

Taub said that with the support of the Swedish government, Saab engineers will be able to dramatically increase their existing network and build on relationships as well as establish working partnerships with new suppliers and technology partners.

edusaab
25th August 2005, 03:36 PM
finally they are taking in consideration some Saab well known features.....now only it needed the center of expertise in Turbo/petrol engines, electronic and security, and also Aerodinamic.....and we can add some others....

apzer09
25th August 2005, 04:47 PM
yeah, it's definetely great it's only taken GM 15 years to start using some of Saab's knowledge into R&D. It's probably everybody in Detroit saying they don't want to move to Sweden because it's cold. Then someone from Sweden said, "Hey, it's cold in Michigan too!"

CleveSaab
25th August 2005, 05:38 PM
Disagree Apzer. You make it sound like Saab hasn't done anything since GM entered the picture.

Side air bags.
SAHR.
Pop up roll bar in the 04 Convertible.
Saab has never stopped setting the bar higher and higher...even after GM came in.
What does surprise me is that more of the other GM cars STILL don't have some of the things that Saab pioneered.
I mean it's nice to have Saab, one of the safest cars, in your stable...wouldn't you WANT to spread that out through the whole line?!?!?!?

apzer09
25th August 2005, 06:00 PM
Disagree Apzer. You make it sound like Saab hasn't done anything since GM entered the picture.

Side air bags.
SAHR.
Saab has never stopped setting the bar higher and higher...even after GM came in.
What does surprise me is that more of the other GM cars STILL don't have some of the things that Saab pioneered.
I mean it's nice to have Saab, one of the safest cars, in your stable...wouldn't you WANT to spread that out through the whole line?!?!?!?
What I meant to say is that GM hasn't done anything to integrate Saab's engineering into all of their other models. All cars really should have SAHR for example. It's better than Volvo's design and has proven quite effective.
GM has left Saab up in Sweden to do its own thing for most of their "partnership", whereas Ford and Volvo have teamed up to create the best rollover sensor in the business, and a pretty decent line of cars (even if they are Fords and Volvos:cheesy: ). It just seems like Saab has had no effect on GM's upper management which is really unfortunate since GM still builds some really crappy cars.

Rob in Atlanta
26th August 2005, 06:14 PM
Another example of SAAB technology spreading out is GM's plan to use the new twin-scroll turbo V6 in some other performance oriented GM vehicles. SAAB has already been designated a "center of expertise" within GM for turbocharging development work.

SaabKen
27th August 2005, 12:56 PM
I wonder if SAAB will be able to utilize Haldex (Sweden's Haldex Traction AB) components in future AWD 9-3/9-5 ?

From article: "Saab engineers will be able to dramatically increase their existing network and build on relationships as well as establish working partnerships with new suppliers and technology partners."

edusaab
27th August 2005, 01:17 PM
in 2000 Saab make an agreement with Haldez for the development of the AWD models for Saab....an example are the 9x and 9-3x.....but as you can imagine since then, many things are changed.

One of the most stupid and hipocresy I read from GM Managers are about Saab and its "independent" manage, criticism its own engineering and investment to change the basic Epsilon and avoiding more scale economics, then you take a look at Opel and they make more changes than everybody....For example, they used the old 2liters turbo engine from the Calibra for its astra coupe turbo and new astra and only use the L850 from Saab for its vectra and Signum....that not avoids to use more scale economics?? and then the brake discs...for example Saab uses the 285mm in its basic and medium range for the 9-3ss, and the Opel vectra for its lower and medium range uses the 304mm that uses the 210bhp Aero....

and all the Saab technology they didn't use during years from Saab that are better than the others.....Its like a joke....Saab a center of expertise in "Advanced manufacturing" but the Trollhattan plant has its future not clear after 2010.... For the cost of 1 engineer in Russelheim you have 2 engineers in Trollhattan, but since 2003 with Viggen plan they reduced in more than 450engineers in Trollhattan and were moved some activities to Russlheim...

GM always say that all the problems of GME are because Saab independent management during the last 15 years....but the most looses comes from Opel.

I hope they finally take care of the powerful of Saab engineering in many issues, since many years all GM uses the TechII computer, now its time to use other things and let Saab to be the leadership in some issues.

AudiSAABfans
27th August 2005, 03:45 PM
Assymetrical turbocharged V6 is also Saab's innovation after GM purchased them.

edusaab
28th August 2005, 10:07 AM
and the Saab combustion Control, the best direct Injection engine you can see in the industry, for consumption, easy technology, performance and the most important the lower rating of polution when the engine is basically the same as a standard engine, and where is the technology??

and the Saab Variable comrpession.......???????

this is like the 70's.......it is a second opportunity for Saab and demonstrates the world what solutions he has for the industry, as he did with the turbo before.

Rob in Atlanta
28th August 2005, 10:22 AM
and the Saab combustion Control, the best direct Injection engine you can see in the industry, for consumption, easy technology, performance and the most important the lower rating of polution when the engine is basically the same as a standard engine, and where is the technology??

and the Saab Variable comrpession.......???????

this is like the 70's.......it is a second opportunity for Saab and demonstrates the world what solutions he has for the industry, as he did with the turbo before.I had read in an article somewhere (can't find it right now) that while the Saab Combustion Control ("SCC") engine was promising, there were significant developmental hurdles to cross before it could be put into production. Also, the article speculated that the efficiency benefits of a production model of the SCC might not outweigh the increased cost and complexity of the new engine.

1985 Gripen
28th August 2005, 02:09 PM
I had read in an article somewhere (can't find it right now) that while the Saab Combustion Control ("SCC") engine was promising, there were significant developmental hurdles to cross before it could be put into production. Also, the article speculated that the efficiency benefits of a production model of the SCC might not outweigh the increased cost and complexity of the new engine.

I never heard the fate of SCC, but I did read that the SVC concept engine is literally collecting dust under a staircase in Trollhattan. I also read that the SVC would have cost the same as a traditional engine once it went into full production.

I really wish that some whistleblower would write a book or an article on what goes on inside SAAB after they've been laid-off or quit or something. Then we could get a definitive answer on what happened with SVC, SCC, and whether the SAAB logo missing from the next-gen 9-5 (and 9-2X and 9-7X) was an inside protest or not.

peterchurch
30th August 2005, 04:46 PM

Side air bags.
SAHR.

Sorry my 1999 Mercedes SL had a pop up anti roll bar, and Side impact air bags... these SL features were around for several years before my model was made....

Saab does do good R&D work none the less...

JWLANKY
31st August 2005, 09:46 AM
What I meant to say is that GM hasn't done anything to integrate Saab's engineering into all of their other models. All cars really should have SAHR for example. It's better than Volvo's design and has proven quite effective.

The Vectra uses the SAHR system now. And i think the Audi A4 uses pretty much the same system too.

Hatch
13th September 2005, 10:23 PM
It's not going to happen but I wish Sweden would buy Saab and broom GM out. Then sell it to an intelligent auto company. GM is a cancer. Everything it touches turns to SHI*. GM is about stinking gass guzzeling trucks.

WelshWizard
14th September 2005, 03:07 AM
The Vectra uses the SAHR system now. And i think the Audi A4 uses pretty much the same system too.

Apparently, the SAHR is a Detroit invention, except they couldn't make it work, Saab picked it up about 10 years ago and made the system work...

The Vectra has had the system since the 2000 model year, it was in my SRi.

SAABjerk
14th September 2005, 08:11 AM
It's not going to happen but I wish Sweden would buy Saab and broom GM out. Then sell it to an intelligent auto company. GM is a cancer. Everything it touches turns to SHI*. GM is about stinking gass guzzeling trucks.Hatch, you are sooooo right. It's not just GM. There is no American company that can run anything. The only way that American companies operate is through unfair trade, conquest and bullying. Wake up people and see America for the evil that it is.