DI Cassette Toast? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: DI Cassette Toast?

Blackcat
28-12-02, 05:58 PM
First off, hello to everyone and much thanks to those responsible for making this forum available to Saab owners. I've owned a 9000 Aero for five years now, and have experienced very few surprises. Unfortunately, today the Aero left me high and dry. It cranks perfectly, but the engine will not fire at all. I suspect the DI cassette, as I picked up a slight smell of burnt electronics under the hood, but the car had never had the misfire problem typical of a failing DI. The battery did go weak after several short cold weather trips a few days ago, but after a one hour recharge, it started up and ran with no problems until today. Any ideas?

BillJ
28-12-02, 07:32 PM
Welcome to SaabCentral, Blackcat.
The usual diagnostic procedure (which the dealer would use) is to substitute a known good DI cassette and see if the problem goes away. I have heard of DI cassettes failing suddenly like that, although it has usually been with non-turbos.

cdcarlsson
29-12-02, 12:22 PM
A friend had his DI unit go AWOL like this whilst on holiday, with no prior warning. After renewing it all was fine, although the pocket was a bit lighter :-? .

Blackcat
29-12-02, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the quick replies gents. Sounds like I'll be needing to pick up a new DIC and plug it in. I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Blackcat
01-01-03, 10:56 AM
On the advice of an experianced Saab tech, attempted to check the relays inside the car. His suggestion was that the no-start problem could be caused by a defective ignition or fuel sustem relay. Once the cover was off, I found there are 15, unidentified relays. Without a manual, there was no way of knowing which was which, so I went back and took a closer look at the DI cassette. There was a distinct smell of burnt electronics, and under the cover, you could see a small crack in the encapulating material. $700 later, with new plus and DI cassette, the Aero fired right up as usual and runs perfectly well. To sum up, the DI cassette can fail with little or no warning, even on turbo models.

BillJ
01-01-03, 01:49 PM
What did the $700 cover? That's about 275, which seems a lot for a DI cassette and plugs. At least, it would be a lot less here in the UK, even from a Saab dealer.

Blackcat
02-01-03, 09:04 PM
Final total was $731.45CAD, including the DI cassette, 4 new plugs and $95.40 of taxes. The cassette itself lists for $618.25CAD. It is available for slightly less from a few US suppliers, but the cost of rush shipping would have made it equally pricey, since I was not willing to go without my car for a week.

BillJ
02-01-03, 09:28 PM
I suppose that's the downside of buying a "foreign car" in the US/Canada. It's a foreign car here in the UK too, but not quite so foreign :cheesy:

lawrence
05-01-03, 05:55 PM
Blackcat,
Hate to come in after the fact, but eEuroparts has reman. DI cassettes for $170.

Blackcat
08-01-03, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they also offer genuine Saab DI's for more than $100 below dealer. I will keep them in mind for future needs.

BillK
07-06-08, 11:45 AM
How did using another DI to test work? Any issues or possible damage to test DI from faulty wireing. I have a second DI to use for a test but am reluctant for fear of damaging another DI

Any imput

saabsarewunderbarr
07-01-10, 07:40 AM
I have a 51 plate 95 aero estate which splutters down the road once you hit the throttle quite hard, seems to only happen when the turbo needle gets just onto the red zone. fine in yellow, but coughs and splutters down the road if you push it any harder. I DESPERATELY need to fix this for as close to sweet fanny adams (cost wise) as possible. I rang Saab and they told me exactly the same, expired as not a safety recall. Very disappointed.
I took mine to the garage where they ran diags and it didn't show a DI fault but they said it probably wouldn't anyway as its an oil leak issue and not something the diags would detect.
Does anyone know where i could get a CHEAP replacement? Can i get one from a scrap car?
More importantly, does anyone know if the DI Cassette is a generic item for any saab, if its engine size specific or if its model specific.
I.E. can i buy a DI unit from a Saab 2.3t or MUST it be an Aero ?

I have found one for 50 which is from a 2.3t and tempted to try it but can't afford to waste my money if it won't work.
thanks

c900
07-01-10, 08:23 AM
On the advice of an experianced Saab tech, attempted to check the relays inside the car. His suggestion was that the no-start problem could be caused by a defective ignition or fuel sustem relay. Once the cover was off, I found there are 15, unidentified relays. Without a manual, there was no way of knowing which was which, so I went back and took a closer look at the DI cassette. There was a distinct smell of burnt electronics, and under the cover, you could see a small crack in the encapulating material. $700 later, with new plus and DI cassette, the Aero fired right up as usual and runs perfectly well. To sum up, the DI cassette can fail with little or no warning, even on turbo models.

In my 9000, there is a sticker on the top of the glovebox which identifies the relays and their position. The glovebox has to come out (at least in my RHD 9k) to get to the relay panel.

Craig.

stew81
07-01-10, 09:06 AM
wow, how old is this thread!

More importantly, does anyone know if the DI Cassette is a generic item for any saab, if its engine size specific or if its model specific.
I.E. can i buy a DI unit from a Saab 2.3t or MUST it be an Aero ?

yes its a generic part. all saab 9-5's with the 4cyl engine use the same DI, regardless of size/turbo type etc.

BillK
07-01-10, 09:52 AM
To the best of my knowledge black is black and red is red and they do not mix. I do not know the 95 aero. But if it is a a red casset then replace it with the same. Most salvage yards have them available.

saabsarewunderbarr
07-01-10, 10:41 AM
Thanks both of you, very helpful.
i might try salvage yards then, i think i need the black one. Lets hope i can get something for under 50.
A saab dealer said it might be worth changing the plugs first since they would need doing anyway if changing DI unit. They said it is possible its a plug issue anyway.
Thanks again to all

stew81
07-01-10, 10:45 AM
Thanks both of you, very helpful.
i might try salvage yards then, i think i need the black one. Lets hope i can get something for under 50.
A saab dealer said it might be worth changing the plugs first since they would need doing anyway if changing DI unit. They said it is possible its a plug issue anyway.
Thanks again to all

yup, anything other than the correct ngk plugs 'll give you trouble, bit cheaper to change then a DI aswell.

SaabKen
07-01-10, 01:47 PM
To the best of my knowledge black is black and red is red and they do not mix. I do not know the 95 aero. But if it is a a red casset then replace it with the same. Most salvage yards have them available.

Major thread dredging operation here, folks ;)

To comment on the black vs. red DIC, in winter 2005 my old DIC went kaput. Had car towed to my indie (master Saab tech). He had a pile of black ones for 9-5. Puts one in, car comes back to life and purrrs. Mind you my engine is B234L so default DIC is the red one.

That was ....... 5 years ago. No fuss, no mess.

saabsarewunderbarr
08-01-10, 03:48 AM
Brill thanks Ken.

Bitter and Twisted !!!
08-01-10, 02:31 PM
Whats this "oil leak" issue got to do with your DI ?

If its a DI problem then Tech II will show it as exactly that!

I was always told not to mix black and red DI's although others may argue .

P.s. ......I used to work for a saab indy.;)

stew81
08-01-10, 02:47 PM
Whats this "oil leak" issue got to do with your DI ?

If its a DI problem then Tech II will show it as exactly that!

dont the DI's have oil in them? hence you need to make sure they've been sat upright before firing your car up after fitting a new one.

i dont think a faulty DI will show on a tech 2 as it wont trigger a CEL.

Bitter and Twisted !!!
08-01-10, 02:57 PM
tech II can tell you exactly how many times each individual plug fires/mis-fires and a DI will still work if its been sat on a stores shelf for months in a box upside down ;)

SaabKen
08-01-10, 04:58 PM
..... a DI will still work if its been sat on a stores shelf for months in a box upside down ;)

Without a power supply hooked to it ??? Amazing ! ;)

Bitter and Twisted !!!
08-01-10, 05:07 PM
Clever bits of kit DI's :cheesy:

rawill
08-01-10, 06:46 PM
I was always told not to mix black and red DI's although others may argue .

Me too! and and there is a thread on here somewhere from a Saab factory guy who says just what you said. He also said you can swop and they will work but that it is not a good idea long term.