A white Christmas that I did NOT want [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: A white Christmas that I did NOT want

SaabMaad
26th December 2002, 04:58 PM
While travelling home on the motorway from Xmas dinner in London, I had clouds of white smoke from the exhaust of my 9000 CDE 2.3 Turbo!! Is this terminal for the turbo?
Thanks to the AA for "lifting" me home

Alanb
27th December 2002, 05:43 AM
As ever, these things are difficult to diagnose without seeing the car. The first thing to do is determine whether it was oil or water (steam) that was coming form your exhaust. If it was the latter then you will have lost water from the header tank. This would indicate a blown headgasket.

If it seems like oil then it could well be a dead turbo. However, in my experience turbos rarely suddenly give up without there being warning signs.

Alanb

SaabMaad
27th December 2002, 06:52 AM
Hi AlanB,

Thanks for your timely responce. Just checked ther header tank and I am ?pleased to say that the level is at the max mark but, there is also a lot of oil around the turbo.
In all fairness, she had been whistling rather excessive but as there was no "apparent" loss of power I had it scheduled for a check after the Xmas period.
Funny thing is, prior to it happening, I could not get the song "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" out of my head. :(
Would you have any idea as to the cost "ish" that I should be preparing my wallet for?

TIA,

Louis.

jeronimo
27th December 2002, 04:29 PM
Hi; sorry to hear your bad news.

I had my Garret turbo reconditioned in the summer and it cost 350 (GBP). It depends on how much needs to be done. I needed a new wheels and part of the housing replaced but the shaft was ok. They cleaned it up and balanced it leaving me with a turbo better than it was when I bought the car. :) Yhe symptoms I had were loads of blue smoke as I slowed for traffic lights and then when starting off again, smoke until I got over 3000 revs. The seals were gone as well.

SaabMaad
4th January 2003, 06:24 AM
Hi Jeronimo,

Thanks for your input and I am now HAPPY :lol: to say that my baby is now back with me and running like a dream.
The old turbo had completely thrown itself apart, nothing was salvaged but Hey! it's fixed...
Going out now to give it a thrapping :cheesy:
Lou.