Turbo Upgrades? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Turbo Upgrades?

danaber11
8th August 2005, 04:02 PM
My beloved 900 has fianlly blown it's turbo.....I wept. But I now have a good reason to upgrade the turbo. I know that the OEM turbo is a T25, and that a T28 should bolt right up, but I have been told that it is better to go wtih a TD04. I've been looking for a TD04, but there are so many variations on this turbo (H, HL, L, ETC)

I'm looking for any help that can be provided. What turbos, if any, from other cars and manufacturers will work with minimal effort? Will a WRX, eclipse, 300GT or EVO turbo bolt in? How about from an Audi or VW?

Oh...and the car already has the viggen intercooler, silicon hoses, and cat back exhaust.

jrbrangi
8th August 2005, 06:28 PM
td04-15t 5cm

ricot83
8th August 2005, 06:37 PM
dont listen to JR.... y waste the time with a 5cm housing. get a td04-15t-6cm or get a blown 15t rebuilt as a 16t-6cm

jrbrangi
8th August 2005, 06:40 PM
i thought he was just looking to bolt on and go, if you wanna go big then thats the way. Which has got me thinking to hold off on my turbo install what till I scrap up some more cash then rebuild the td04 to a bigger housing. cause Im pretty happy with the performance right now, for a while;)

ricot83
8th August 2005, 08:09 PM
tdo4 is far from a bolt on and go buddy... custom lines are hard to make

danaber11
8th August 2005, 11:42 PM
I'm really looking for something that is close to bolt-on and go.

I have access to a 9000 exhaust manifold and if I had to buy 9000/viggen fluid lines I would. However, I really do not want to start having custom pieces made. I been down that route before when I hopped up my motorcycle.

Any ideas for a turbo with better flow, than the t25, that is easy to install?

A12
9th August 2005, 07:59 PM
Jak stoll sells a t25/28 hybrid which should be almost a complete retrofit.Give him a call or go to his website www.jakstollperformance.com (http://www.jakstollperformance.com) .

stromer
9th August 2005, 08:40 PM
Danaber, there is always the t28 hybrid. This is a lesser known turbo option but is a direct bolt on and has about the same capacity of a Viggen turbo. You would need to send it out, or buy one from jakstollperformance.com

Look for a thread I started all about the lines needed for the td04 conversion. I went through the legwork, and the list of what you need is all there.

mike saunders
9th August 2005, 09:30 PM
Jak claims his T28 is bigger than a Mitsu 18T.....

Dunno bout that, but it's worth looking into.

Jeremy R.
10th August 2005, 02:38 AM
tdo4 is far from a bolt on and go buddy... custom lines are hard to make
...but if you can get the lines from the car it came from, it is pretty much a bolt-on upgrade.

stromer
10th August 2005, 09:59 AM
...but if you can get the lines from the car it came from, it is pretty much a bolt-on upgrade.

Have you done this upgrade? This is not true. My viggen turbo came from a t7 car. The t7 lines did not fit my t5 engine. And my t5 lines did not fit the viggen turbo. Some were close, but I got all new lines.

Vigge
10th August 2005, 02:22 PM
custom lines are hard to make

Of course they are if you plan to make them like stock from "solid" pipe, but why could they just be braided flex tubes?

danaber11
10th August 2005, 03:20 PM
Wouldn't the lines from the 9000 work? The turbo that I can get is from a 94 9000. As I understand it, the only difference between the 2.0 and 2.3 engine is the stroke. Every thing that I have found says they are the same block. This should mean that the stock 9000 lines should work with the 2.0 block.

But this is just speculation.

Vigge
10th August 2005, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't the lines from the 9000 work? The turbo that I can get is from a 94 9000. As I understand it, the only difference between the 2.0 and 2.3 engine is the stroke. Every thing that I have found says they are the same block. This should mean that the stock 9000 lines should work with the 2.0 block.

But this is just speculation.

The exhaust manifold is different, turbo is located in the middle of the engine + the turbo is the other way around. Don't know if this plays a role...

BLE 9-3se
10th August 2005, 05:24 PM
My turbo is from a 9000. I had to make custom lines out of ss braided. I didn't have the original 9000 lines to use. To purchase them from SAAB would have cost double what I paid for the braided and the A&N fittings.

Go to B+B Performance in Branford for the parts and then go see John at Swedish Performance about the install. Mine was the first conversion he'd ever done. He ought to be a lot quicker about it now. :D

danaber11
10th August 2005, 06:13 PM
I know John Lear. I know that he used to be across the road from the Harley dealership, but didn't he move to a new place?

BLE 9-3se
10th August 2005, 06:18 PM
I know John Lear. I know that he used to be across the road from the Harley dealership, but didn't he move to a new place?
Yeah, he's stil in Branford, but further east on rte 1. He's about 1/10 of a mile past 7-11 on the right directly at the stoplight at the end of Mill Plain rd.

Makeyousaab
10th August 2005, 06:19 PM
When making the lines for the oil drain, what do you do about the flange for the oil pan?
Also do i need to "clock" my TDO4 after i install it or before...andwhat EXACTLY does this entail? Thanks ~ Dave

dubburke
10th August 2005, 07:36 PM
Is a viggen turbo a bolt on mod for a GM900? or are other things required, thanks. (just want a straight swap turbo)

Marks900SE
10th August 2005, 09:39 PM
all 94-98 900s are either ng (new gen) or gm (for the general motors influence). So whatever has been said applies for your car too.

stromer
10th August 2005, 11:17 PM
Is a viggen turbo a bolt on mod for a GM900? or are other things required, thanks. (just want a straight swap turbo)

I feel like I'm running out of breath here, but the turbo itself bolts right in, just the lines need work.

BLE 9-3se
11th August 2005, 12:10 AM
The only straight bolt on turbo with everything you need is either a very pricey Abbott onversion to a TD-04 or JSP's clipped t25. You would use your own lines for this I take it. Anything to do with a TD-04 is going to require modification somewhere.

dubburke
11th August 2005, 03:55 PM
I feel like I'm running out of breath here, but the turbo itself bolts right in, just the lines need work.

Sorry my thinking was impaired by red wine when i posted:cheesy:

Does anyone have a guide to parts needed for various turbo mods for the NG900 or exactly what needs to be sourced for the conversion (eg hose lengths and materials needed)

stromer
11th August 2005, 06:04 PM
Yes, in my thread I started about the oil lines for td04 upgade. Use the search to find it.

danaber11
14th August 2005, 07:00 PM
I have a chance at a great deal on a TD04 off a WRX. Anyone know if this will work?