Non-costly mods? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Non-costly mods?

griffinspeed
4th August 2005, 11:18 AM
Anyone know of any fairly non-costly modifications, engine-wise i can make to my 9-2x Linear? With a 5-speed 9000 Aero previously, i'm feeling a little lacking in horses, haha, slightly! Anyway any help would be greatly appriciated!

jdmpartstx
4th August 2005, 02:06 PM
Tires. That would be my first suggestion :) The stock tires are garbage and some nicer tires should only run you $450-$500 and will make a world of difference, handling-wise.

As for inexpensive power mods - I'd search the "for sale" forums of www.nasioc.com for used exhausts/intakes for the Impreza 2.5RS. Unfortunately, most of the people modding Imprezas are doing it to the WRX because it has more potential. But you should be able to find some good, used items.

I'm a big proponent of buying used mods - just about everything that has gone onto my car I got used - except for the STi hood scoop and uppipe :)

Good luck!

griffinspeed
5th August 2005, 12:22 AM
Hey thanks, i hadn't really thought of that, i guess i overlooked that simple detail. Infact my mom just got some awesome new F-1 tires on her 9-5 Aero among many horsepower upgrades, so i don't know how that slipped, hah. anyway, thanks again, and i'll definitely check those out...if anyone else has any other engine mods to throw my way, that'd be fantastic.

Suba-Saab
6th August 2005, 01:36 PM
http://cobbtuning.com/impreza/

Take your pick. They sell the parts individually or in packages.

I haven't started on engine mods. Since we don't have a turbo, engine mods don't gain us much horsepower. Not worth all the expense for little horsepower gains. I also don't want to go through the headaches of making warrany repairs and having to prove that my engine mod didn't cause the problem in the first place.

Suspension mods will make a Linear faster in the turns. The least expensive route...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55915

I posted on this thread. You can take a look for yourself. Big improvement the speed you can carry through a corner. Tons less body roll.

Demian
9th August 2005, 11:04 AM
I have a 2002 WRX wagon as well as a 1993 Saab 9000 CDE with the 2.3t. As I just joined the board today, I thought that I would just jump in and mention that the handling abilities will be greatly enhanced on your linear with some quick changes.

Rear and front strut support bars make a big difference. Combines with a 20 mm rear anti-sway bar and some endlinks and you are practically ready to go with a huge improvement over stock handling (Whiteline or Cusco for name brand or eBay has them very cheap). For shocks, you can go with the KYB G2 which is about 15% more stiffer ($320) or with the KYB AGX ($460) which are adjustable. If you replace the springs, Prodrive or Eibach seem to be the most commonly used in our WRX community, but there are other brands like Whiteline's lowering springs. When ordering, be wagon specific as the subaru sedan and wagon have different mounts front and rear as well as spring rates due to that the wagon (linear) has different load characteristics.

For increased effectiveness, you can increase the rigidity up front with a Whitline anti-lift kit which somehow adjusts the camber (I think 5 degrees) but really makes the car stick to the ground. The anti-lift kit is about $140 or so, but, the dealership or mechanic must do some work to put it on and then redo the alignment. Probably about $400 to $450 total cost for the anti-lift kit (http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Effect%20of%20WL%20ALK_b.pdf).

I hope that I was helpful and good luck.