gearbox problem [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: gearbox problem

14-11-01, 06:58 AM
i have a saab 9000 and when i travel on the motorway i only drive steadily about 45-50 mph and i have noticed a noise from the nsf
behind the glovebox almost, i,m quite concerned about this and have been into my local garage, they had a look at the gearbox and found the nut loose on the end of a shaft, they said this was common, is it? with such a prestige motor car, they tightened it up, but the noise has now returned with worse noises, i,m 89 years of age and not wanting to drive forever do u have any solutions to cheaply fix my saab

jimbob
15-11-01, 02:50 PM
I'm no expert on 9000 gearboxes, but there used to be a similar problem with some Volvo 440 gearboxes where the end nut which held on the 5th gear would work loose and make a noise. Maybe the nut has worked loose again seeing as tightening the nut cured the problem. It may need some thread lock compond on it. Hope this helps.
Jimbob

SaabMT(Scoob Tech)
24-11-01, 02:33 PM
You've about hit the nail on the head there Jimbob, it's down to wear in the bearings, allowing all the gears on the shaft to become loose, which in turn removes all the locking effect of the nut(peened into fifthgear); retightening, adding loctite and re-peening may help for a short while but it will come loose again.-worn bearings don't fix themselves!
The best cure is to change the gearbox, either a new one or for economy a known good second hand one-fixing a badly worn box is VERY expensive.
Hope this helps,
SaabMT.

Aero_9000
24-12-02, 10:13 AM
Hi,
Does it make the noisse constantly, or make the noise in a certain gear? If so it could be the gearbox gear with a worn tooth....

Regards
Aere_9000