Clutch adjustments????? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Clutch adjustments?????

Hooty
17th December 2002, 10:09 PM
Hey all,
Long time no post, well to shorten things up, the black beauty made it on the long move, but shortly there after, I started having problems with the car not accelerating until about 3500-4000 RPMs. It wasn't bad, only in 3rd to start, but after a while it just got worse and worse, affecting all of my gears eventually. Well, on my way home one day, it wasn't accelerating until about 4500 RPMs, so I limped home and parked it. After doing some talking to the local certified saab parts rep (he works on them too BTW), he told me that it sounds like the clutch is shot. I've worked on clutches before and so has my dad, and we both have adjusted clutches before, but this rep swears up and down that saab clutches are unadjustable. For some reason I don't believe this information, self adjusting? Yes, I can believe, but I don't believe they are unadjustable. BTW a friend up here used to work at a saab shop, so just assembling the money for parts if I keep it.
Right now, I have to find somewhere to hide it though, my dad wants it gone if I can't do anything to fix it. In the mean time, (he doesn't like saabs BTW), he loaned me a car so I am not stuck. But back to the unadjustable, is this true???? Am I to be stuck driving an automatic (*puke* sorry automatic lovers, nothing against you, just my own preference to be more proactive in my driving) Buick :p any ideas? info?

Simon
18th December 2002, 03:16 PM
Haynes manual says.....

Vehicles with manual transmission are fitted with a hydraulically operated single dry plate clutch system. Unlike cable operated systems no adjustment is possible or necessary.

So I guess the answer is no, you cannot adjust them!

Simon.

johncc
19th December 2002, 04:21 AM
I assume then that when your clutch operation starts to get a bit close to the floor, that is because the clutch is nearly dead and the mechanism can't compensate any further for it?

Simon
19th December 2002, 05:56 AM
I assume then that when your clutch operation starts to get a bit close to the floor, that is because the clutch is nearly dead and the mechanism can't compensate any further for it?

That sounds like it's the clutch master cylinder. If the clutch itself was worn there would be no travel at the top of the clutch pedal and the clutch would start to slip.

Simon.