Video - New BMW M5 review from 5th Gear [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Video - New BMW M5 review from 5th Gear

cryptical
27th July 2005, 10:22 AM
Big download - 30mb but pretty interesting...it's pricey, but I'm sure a blast to drive!

http://www.rhua.f2s.com/Carpics/5thGearM5.avi

Naranto
27th July 2005, 10:43 AM
Top Gear in the UK reviewed it on Sunday. Car drives like a lemon, indicators don't self cancel, on-board computer too complicated, sat nav cannot be switched off. It is only good when you press the 'M' button, after which it becomes a bit of a beast capable of over 200 mph.

So how many here would drive it continually in 'M' mode?.

john tanner
27th July 2005, 11:05 AM
i would if i ever bought one...He also said that he broke the rear diff and the traction control lights kept flashing error after the trip around the track so it is pretty fragile as an all round super car. I think BMW has completely lost the plot with regards styling the lines of the new M5 are bolt and build to me, The rear exhaust covers are particulary square and look like an after market job. I think that the point of any super car is to be at one with it get to know it's quirks and learn to respect it. Today their is too much gadgetary in cars and it detracts from the overall driving experience, This is why the Lotus Elise was such a hoot because it was fast economical and mininalist....By the way did you know that all of the lotus cars ever produced have always began with an E.

Marrk
27th July 2005, 11:15 AM
Motor Cycle News recently dynoed it on full power mode and it made about 370rwhp and around 280lb.ft of torque....ylees car is not far off that mark on power and definitely more on torque, mine with 446lb.ft of torque has a lot more grunt.....and no speaking sat nav to annoy us! Makers hp/torque figures should always be taken with a pinch of salt....because losing 137 hp thru drive chain is not good engineering...detune it to 137 hp and it still wouldn't move from the starting line :cheesy: ;)

DrSquirley
27th July 2005, 11:59 AM
is there vid along with the sound, if so i may need to upgrade?

-Alex

aero1116
27th July 2005, 04:01 PM
I like it personally. However, there are a bit too many electronics for my tastes. Oh what the hell, I even think my 9-5 has too many electronics... the only thing not automatic is my transmission :cool:.

edusaab
27th July 2005, 04:47 PM
During the development BMW recognised some problems with the engine and the supply chain. The last month they must stop the production when detected a problem with the oil pump and it is the second time that they must stop the production for a problem. Some units have an oil consumption level more similar to a diesel than a petrol engine....
And the 3series E90 at the moment is a nightmare, they are having many problems with the turbos in the 320d, steering problems(the car goes to the right and they don't know why), many rattles, poor audio system(standard and middle versions), Idrive and electronic issues(xenon, bluetooth/infotaiment etc etc), Active steering problems, compresor of the ACC, Auto Transmision.........................

greetings

Raven18940
27th July 2005, 05:15 PM
I just don't care for the new M5. I loved the old M5, but this one is too flash and it doesn't have a manual. I don't care how good they think their gearbox is, I'd rather have a manual. And why does it have 507 hp and RWD? Are they insane?

klarking1075
27th July 2005, 06:06 PM
By the way did you know that all of the lotus cars ever produced have always began with an E.

Erm, hate to be a pest, but what about the Lotus Carlton - (Ok it was a Lotus rebuild of a vauxhall and one heck of a car).

Kenneth

valbowski1980
27th July 2005, 06:25 PM
The car is a Monster! A 200 mph 4-door :o

But...

All the electronics push the driver farther and farther away from the actual experience of driving. For some that is ok, for others (like i.e. ME) driving is meant to be a mechanical experience. I like having a clutch, no TSC or VSC and such.

Second. It is ugly, what the hell happened to gorgeous the BMWs of old?

1985 Gripen
27th July 2005, 06:30 PM
Article in European Car magazine regarding the new M5's engine mentions SAAB.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/0501ec_m5/

"After three years spent on research and development, BMW makes its first introduction of a combustion charge ion analysis system first to be implemented on the S85. Similar to Saab's system of the 90's and based on theories developed in the 30's, this ion analysis takes the place of a conventional knock sensor by monitoring the combustion event and combustions pressures for each cylinder. Using the spark plug as a positive pole and the cylinder as a ground, the ion current system measures the conductance of the air fuel charge throughout the combustion process. As combustion takes place and the charge chemistry changes, so does the electrical conductance of the contents of the cylinder. Based on the conductance as a function of crank angle, each individual combustion event is evaluated to better refine and control the sequential fuel and spark maps on a per cylinder basis. This is basically like a very smart version of an automotive oscilloscope. Unlike previous attempts of combustion ion charge analysis, the BMW system also discerns misfires either from inadequate fuel or spark, something neither Saab's system or a knock sensor can do."

Click on the link I posted above to view pictures of the spark coils as well as a pic of the ion current measurement circuit.

saab9x
28th July 2005, 12:43 AM
if the ploy was to 'over' engineer the features in order to detract from the insipid design, then they succeeded.

DavidMorgan
28th July 2005, 02:15 AM
....By the way did you know that all of the lotus cars ever produced have always began with an E.

And the Lotus sEven..

john tanner
28th July 2005, 04:26 AM
Ehhh theirs always one....I meant proper stand alone Lotus you could include the Proton in your thinking....ohh no maybe not:o Erm, hate to be a pest, but what about the Lotus Carlton - (Ok it was a Lotus rebuild of a vauxhall and one heck of a car).

Kenneth

KevinC
28th July 2005, 12:03 PM
Article in European Car magazine regarding the new M5's engine mentions SAAB.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/0501ec_m5/

"After three years spent on research and development, BMW makes its first introduction of a combustion charge ion analysis system first to be implemented on the S85. Similar to Saab's system of the 90's and based on theories developed in the 30's, this ion analysis takes the place of a conventional knock sensor by monitoring the combustion event and combustions pressures for each cylinder. Using the spark plug as a positive pole and the cylinder as a ground, the ion current system measures the conductance of the air fuel charge throughout the combustion process. As combustion takes place and the charge chemistry changes, so does the electrical conductance of the contents of the cylinder. Based on the conductance as a function of crank angle, each individual combustion event is evaluated to better refine and control the sequential fuel and spark maps on a per cylinder basis. This is basically like a very smart version of an automotive oscilloscope. Unlike previous attempts of combustion ion charge analysis, the BMW system also discerns misfires either from inadequate fuel or spark, something neither Saab's system or a knock sensor can do."

Click on the link I posted above to view pictures of the spark coils as well as a pic of the ion current measurement circuit.

So 13 years later BMW M5 catches up with Saab's T5 technology.

Hope Saab is getting patent payments.

stryker
28th July 2005, 12:42 PM
During the development BMW recognised some problems with the engine and the supply chain. The last month they must stop the production when detected a problem with the oil pump and it is the second time that they must stop the production for a problem. Some units have an oil consumption level more similar to a diesel than a petrol engine....
And the 3series E90 at the moment is a nightmare, they are having many problems with the turbos in the 320d, steering problems(the car goes to the right and they don't know why), many rattles, poor audio system(standard and middle versions), Idrive and electronic issues(xenon, bluetooth/infotaiment etc etc), Active steering problems, compresor of the ACC, Auto Transmision.........................

greetings

Around here, people are holding back and are very skeptical about the E90. Maybe waiting for the teething problems to get sorted out. I just dont see any of em around. Not even in Germany.

9-3SeriesSans9-
29th July 2005, 02:54 AM
And why does it have 507 hp and RWD? Are they insane?

so... it should be FWD?

cpenning623
29th July 2005, 03:14 AM
lol, no, fwd and 507 would be a little more insane then RWD.....i would go with AWD

SAABotaged900S
29th July 2005, 03:30 AM
If I were able to afford this M5, I would be able to afford the speeding tickets that would come with constantly driving in M mode. But since I dont play the lottery it wont happen anytime soon.

nutcase
29th July 2005, 04:44 AM
BMW have only ever produced two cars that are really worth having - the 2002ti and the very first M3.

There are some others that look ok but those are the two I'd really want to own.

They haven't produced a car that LOOKS nice for about a decade.

All in my opinion of course :)

MeatballTurbo
29th July 2005, 05:47 AM
The car is a Monster! A 200 mph 4-door :o

This Corolla (http://www.fensport.co.uk/partsfiles/infofiles/200mphnews.htm) matches those Criteria.
http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcarsfiles/runx.jpg
http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcarsfiles/runxftmod.jpg
http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcarsfiles/runxgt35turbo.jpg

And is just a little more subtle to look at.