Any way to tell how many degrees of knock retard? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Any way to tell how many degrees of knock retard?

Tweek's Turbos
15-12-02, 10:43 PM
Is there any kind of small Scantool or anything that can tell you how many degrees of knock retard you are geting? :-?? The only other thing I can think of is just a knock gauge. We have had radar detector size scanning tools for a few years over in the Turbo Buick world. This makes turning boost up safer, along with asisting with efficiency of intercoolers and Alcohol/propane injection. Are there any Laptop based diagnostic programs available that can connect to any of the cars diagnostic ports :-?? Upon completing The Turbo, Intercooler, and Secondary Cooling Injection, I just want to insure the engines working as potently as possible but within a margain of safety.

Tweek's Turbos
04-01-03, 08:11 PM
Well with some searching I found some Interesting stuff on the Speedparts.se website. One thing in particular caught my attention. "Knock Link" Spikningsindikator. I imagine its just a couple flashing lights for when the knock sensor sees knock, but for 1,350 kroner is it worth it? Has anybody looked at some of the other sensors and such they have?

conradFL
04-01-03, 11:36 PM
you mean stuff like at www.obd2.com ? (but does a '95 have OBD2?)

Tweek's Turbos
05-01-03, 11:02 AM
I emailed them and asked my questions, If I had to take a shot in the dark at OBD II I'd say ya. Saab has a tendency to meet requirements on gov standards way ahead of time. The car does have the 2 02 sensors, both before and after the Cat. From what I know about the 95 vs 96 Chevy Caprice with the LT-1 the 96 conformed to OBD II but just adding 2 extra sensors after its dual cats. I'll post all my findings under this message. I'm really into tuning the cars boost and Fueling/power injections with a knock value to safely make the car a screamer. Somewhat off topic, I'm going to use propane as my power injection instead of water/alchohol do to its longer lasting, better cooling and ease of tuning.

conradFL
05-01-03, 09:33 PM
I agree 100% with your ideas about tuning. It is definitely possible to view timing in real time with the Tech 2, presumably one of the gadgets at obd2.com will let you do that. I don't want to know how much it'd run though...I'm still a college student. But someday... 8)

Tweek's Turbos
06-01-03, 05:36 PM
Well no email yet. If I had to guess the laptop program should be around $250. A program called Turbo-Link is right at that price for the turbo Buick crowd, and that program is tailored to just an 86-87 Turbo Buick. My goal is to vary the boost pressure, fuel pressure and propane pressure to get the best and safest results. If all goes well I'd like to try and safely run full timing at 25 PSI if the clutch can handle it.

Tweek's Turbos
15-01-03, 05:26 PM
So far nothing for the 95 or 94 cars, The computer companys tell me that they will do OBD-2 cars, but not prvious years. Some companys did have gizmos, but to get them to work, the price would have to be doubled for the software and adapters.