Scoobysport exhaust and cobb accessport [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Scoobysport exhaust and cobb accessport

omahawk
7th July 2005, 05:04 PM
Has anyone installed the Scoobsport turbo back exhaust with the cobb accessport? If so how does this compare to the cobb turbo back with the accessport?

900 S
8th July 2005, 10:32 PM
should be the same. IMO they are both over priced turbOback setups. of the two, scoobysport looks a little better. if i were you, i'd check out www.crucialracing.com they have hands down the best pipes availiable.
and ywith them you'll have the third cat and they make connecting to any cat-back as easy as from the factory.
-marty

Aegon
9th July 2005, 03:06 AM
of the two, scoobysport looks a little better.

If you mean looks as in "the overall package looks better" then you are right. As a former SS user I can say firsthand that they make great stuff that lasts forever. However, if you meant looks as in "those pipes are attractive and visually appealing" you couldn't be more wrong. It looks like a Welding 101 reject.

Also, I disagree with the "crucial is the best" statement. I think coating the interior of an uppipe is outright dumb, and that coating the outside isn't a great idea either.

900 S
9th July 2005, 08:15 PM
i meant they make good stuff. maybe you can tell becasue they spend more time on quality than looks? if i had the cash i would have gotten their stuff a few years ago.
why not coat the uppipe? i think crucial is another company that spends time on quality and deliver a product that is thought out and right for the application. would you not coat a DP also?

Aegon
9th July 2005, 10:57 PM
Scoobysport makes high quality stuff, no doubt about it.

This thread has some back and forth about the coating issue:
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99281
The debate starts at the end of page 1.

Here is another post I made on nasioc some time ago with a quote (talking about heat wrap, but the idea is similar):

Man, I know I'll get flamed for this, but it is the truth and it comes from a book on turbochargers that is published by HPBooks.

George Spears suggests: "In regard to the subject of wrapping the exhaust-to-turbine pipe, we experiemented on the V6 Capri and the V6 Mustang and found very little or no gain.
"What we found was tremendous deterioration of the wrapped pipe. It rapidly oxidizes. In some cases, we found the bends distort and the crossover pipe warps. Once removed, the exhaust system cannot be reinstalled.
"For most automotive applications, wrapping is unnecessary, costly, seriously affects exhaust-pipe life, and generally is not attractive."
In both cases, George was referring to a V6 engine. On any V-type or opposed engine the crossover pipe takes the most punishment.

The book goes on with examples of other heat blanket foolishness. Anyway, IMO you should have only enough heat shield to keep the engine bay temps down. The downpipe won't undergo the same stress an exhaust manifold suffers, but a heatshield wrapped around the downpipe will lead to corrosion/deformation and it simply won't improve performance much.

al415
13th July 2005, 12:27 PM
I have exactly this set up... including a scoobysport up-pipe. I have not seen the COBB TB in person, but I imagine any difference in gains would me hardly worth quibling over. I ended up keeping all the SS stuff on but swapping the axle-back out for an sti axle-back: I wanted a car that sounded (basically) stock. I know I put a few HP back on the workbench when I did this, but at Stage II I can live with that. Anyway, the SS stuff fits the 92x very well. It also mates up to all the comparable factory parts; just in case you don't want to do full TB. I currently have the 3rd factory cat back on the car, with the cat elim' pipe sitting in the garage.

omahawk
13th July 2005, 03:35 PM
Good to hear that you have not had any problems. I think I am going to go the same route as you. I am going to wait until I have enough money saved up so I can upgrade the brakes at the same time. Installed the kartboy shifter and bushings over the weekend. I am going to order the front strut tower brace this week and adjustable swaybar. Next week will be the drop hangers from kartboy.