It's a sad, sad day. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: It's a sad, sad day.

klarking1075
1st July 2005, 04:27 PM
Today is a sad day. I feel very let down as a Saab owner and member of the Saab community. Why is it such a sad day? After months of waving at other Saab owners and having spoken to quite a few of the owners, I finally got a return gesture - I was called a w****r by a 9-3 driver. Why? 'Cause I wanted to have a look at his car, and decided to enjoy the turbo spooling up as I passed him. As I was turning right at a roundabout (about 3/4 mile after where I past him) he went by on the inside giving the usual gesture to indicate that you **********.

Cheers mate..... Oh well, I guess not all Saab owners are interested in the community spirit. Sorry for my mistake if it offend you.

So here's my question for all the Saab Central regulars - do you wave to other Saab drivers, and if so how often do you get a (positive) response?

Kenneth

GearHead
1st July 2005, 04:35 PM
I try to wave but most of the time I get a bemuzed look and/or they step on the gas and get away(usally in opposite lane)

on the other hand I was sitting at a stoplight waiting for the left turn signal and I heard a horn that sounded familiar,I whipped around and saw an oxidized red c900 going the other way..I waved and he cheered and whooped...

Kermit
1st July 2005, 04:35 PM
I prefer the "knowing nod", it tends to go down better, and there's less chance of somebody shaking the coffee beans at you. :cheesy:

stryker
1st July 2005, 05:10 PM
I dont get many waves from Saabers here in Luxembourg. They re all bloody rich, they dont care. 2 weeks ago though, I got a big wave from a guy in an Aston Martin DB9. Weird, maybe his everyday car is a Saab.
Anyway, from now on I ll mostly wave to chicks in Saab verts, they at least nod.

Orca
1st July 2005, 05:17 PM
I always wave if I see them in time.

I don't often acknowledge newer SAABs, since the owners often do not know what they are diving :roll: I do reciprocate any that wave to me, since they obviously know my old banger is the same marque as theirs 8)

Knowing grins, smiles, winks, flashing headlamps, slowing down and gawping from both me and other SAABers ;) My personal favourite gesture for SAABs on the same side of the road is the "fly-by and slow down" to allow the other SAABer to do the same :cheesy: Fellow C900 pilots seem to know how to perform this one quite well, but 9000 captains don't quite get it as readily ;)

... but yeah, the 9-3 driver in question here should really swap it out for a BMW with that kind of attitude. I had a similar torrent of abuse while overtaking a Porsche which tried (and failed) to overtake me. I think he took umbridge at the dump valve noise and my cornering capability. Ho hum!

Saabohème
1st July 2005, 08:55 PM
I always reciprocate, regardless. But I am sometimes selective at initiating. If I see a really ratty and obviously abused Saab, I won't initiate, but if they initiate I always return the favor. Plus, I learned that some of these ratty Saabs are first cars for budding enthusiasts who are simply delighted to have the car, even though it is rough around the edges. Many of these fine people are eager to fix them up and to learn about them. I once spent a very pleasant Sat. afternoon helping a young guy get his C900 started and back on the road. He was stopped on the side of the road so I pulled over. He was delighted and we got the problems sorted out (there were three, 2 ignition related and one, you guessed it, vacuum line). We spent another hour just talking about the car and he ended up taking copious notes. (I really caught it when I got home with two melted cartons of Breyer's, but it gave me the excuse to go out and get more. I saw the car several times thereafter and we always whooped it up with lights and horns. We scared the natives I think. Have not seen it in a few years, so he either moved or the car gave up the ghost.

Hornet11586
1st July 2005, 11:39 PM
I wave and get waves back, sometimes

saabkill
2nd July 2005, 12:31 AM
hey its only a car.people should be more involved with each other,than ganging over which motor they sit in.Or brown nose-ing a company.Who are only out to make a profit on your goon arsees:lol: sorry.

db93a
2nd July 2005, 12:42 AM
but I don't get much of a response. Often other Saab drivers take no note of me. I presume that most of the Saab drivers around here are not of the enthusiast variety, to most it's just a car. They probably like it, they probably think their car (whatever year or model) is a nice car but I don't run across many Saab enthusiasts. Even when someone is behind me and then passes, or vice versa (which would imply that they'd see my plate at some point).... nada

john tanner
2nd July 2005, 05:34 AM
Sorry to hear about that Klarking....maybe the guy was in a courtesy car after dropping in his BMW to be fixed:cheesy: Agree with Kermitt i do the knowing nod to most but always wave to the vert drivers. About a year ago i saw a blue Viggen parked outside Rosebys in doncaster so i had a look around it, The guy who owned it came out with his Mrs and we spent the next hour at the disgust of our wives talking about Saabs and having a good look around them. I do not agree that it is just a "car" if it was this forum and others simply wouldn't exist....Saabkill you want to be carefull you may wake up one morning with a dead Saad head in bed next to you:cheesy:

klarking1075
2nd July 2005, 06:46 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the responses, I was pretty depressed about the situation yesterday and really felt as if I was the only one doing it, and therefore I should stop. I'll take a couple of bits of advice that were given, they are :

1) The knowing nod (if I can ever work out what the hell it is)
2) The c900 Fly by (which I generally do (and enjoy doing))
3) Only initiate with older Saabs (that means 9000's, c900, NG900, etc....)

It's helped knowing that others have the same attitude towards the cars that I do - it's about the people who own them, and not the company.

Kenneth

woywitka
2nd July 2005, 06:48 AM
awwwww so many stories here, always the c900 driver, once a 99 driver. cutest little 2o year oldish brunette gave me an excited wave as she passed me in her mint 89 black tubo with big 205 tires on 16 inch 9000 rims. it was spotless (a true c900 driver she was! and while driving my moms prelude the other day i rolled down my window to complement a c900 vert lady, she talked to me in traffic about how much she loved the car. its very nice, the c900 drivers know what they are driving, man i will never again wave no a newer saab.

Slaab4life
2nd July 2005, 10:46 AM
Saabkill you want to be carefull you may wake up one morning with a dead Saad head in bed next to you:cheesy:
Thats gotta weight a few pounds (or kilos).

man i will never again wave no a newer saab.
Wave man, wave! Nobody ever waves to me in my NG900 despite me waving at them. It makes me sad. The only wave I've gotten in my NG900 that I didn't initiate came from a C900 driver. The strange part is the car was the exact same color as my C900, dolomite sand (tan-ish color). I only know of three C900's in that color, mine, the one that the guy waved from, and maybe one more person on here. Thats it. Quite a coincidence that the only wave I've gotten came from a guy driving that color.

Fueling up one day ended up on the opposite side of a couple who had just purchased a C900 in excellent condition. They both were singing the praises of the car.

hey its only a car.people should be more involved with each other,than ganging over which motor they sit in.Or brown nose-ing a company.Who are only out to make a profit on your goon arsees:lol:

Actually, through owning a Saab I've met a lot of cool people at meet-ups. I have no problem ganging over my motor just because I love the engineering in it all. Thats why I still drive Saabs. As for brown nosing a company thats making a profit on my arsee, not gonna happen! You won't catch me near a dealership or purchasing one of these cars brand new. And if I do have to go to a stealership I'm usually quite ticked that noone else offers the part that I'm about to purchase. My veins start popping out of my neck when I'm within 1,000 feet of the dealership. I hate them! So you won't see me feeding profit to Saab. Especially after finding out that a rear caliper bleeder nipple sells for $17 USD!!!!!!!!! No thanks, I'll probably be replacing the caliper before ever needing to bleed that caliper.

Saabstudent
2nd July 2005, 04:27 PM
I often flash the headlights, wave or nod (prob looks like one big mess!). I am usually disappointed by the (lack) of response that i get. I do however often get "looks" when driving my car (especially in its current Gumball 3000 livery) but not always from Saab drivers.

Recently however my saab blew its gearbox and my boss gave me one of his cars while mine was off the road. It was a Smart for2 cabriolet that had "really Smart" written on the side in huge silver letters. While driving it to work the other day, i got a wave off another smart travelling beside me in traffic, and with the roof down it got more attention than my c900. Last week though, i dropped the missus off at work and was on my way home (lucky she wasn't there actually!) with the roof down in the smart. i stop at some lights and hear an "oi" , "oi" i look around bemused and turn the stereo down to see two young (and fit!) young ladies hanging out of a clio looking at me. Anyway they went on to ask loads of questions about the car until the lights turned green and we drove off. I did say to my boss that if that was the normal reaction to his smart he could have my saab and i would keep his smart :cheesy:

Then i got my saab back and i realised what tripe i was talking!! :lol:

Graeme

alan forsyth
2nd July 2005, 05:03 PM
ken , i'll keep my eyes open for you mate and give you a wave :D from my t16s :cheesy:

quick4door
2nd July 2005, 05:35 PM
around here in new england, im in CT, I always do the saab wave. driving a classic 900 i always get a wave back from the other classic drivers, not as much from the ng's but when they do its always a wave and a smile, good to see.:)

N
2nd July 2005, 06:26 PM
I only wave to 99s and c900s now. Most of the rest just look as if two heads are the order of the day.

A shame really, although there is one older guy who lives in the town with an early ng900 who waves or nods when i pass his house.
most owners of the modern cars seem not to know what they are driving.
Shame really.

Willy Wonka
2nd July 2005, 10:20 PM
I wave, some times they wave back, some times they look disturbed, some times they are too busy going to their proctologists for a manicure. :lol:

CleveSaab
3rd July 2005, 02:51 AM
hey its only a car.people should be more involved with each other,than ganging over which motor they sit in.Or brown nose-ing a company.Who are only out to make a profit on your goon arsees:lol: sorry.

Wow. Great first post. :roll:
If a car is a way to get people more involved with each other...this is a bad thing? :roll:

Mattlach
3rd July 2005, 02:26 PM
I usually pull up alongside on the higway and peek over.

If the driver looks as if they are receptive to a wave, I'll wave.

If not I'll downshift and blast past them :p

jubileejim
3rd July 2005, 06:14 PM
I try and wave whenever i see an older Saab. I am also of the opinion that i am not sure the drivers of newer Saabs will bother waving back.

I also find that living in Surrey the drivers generally appear more miserable and don't wave back :(. So if you live in Surrey and see another Saab give us a wave, you'll it really doesn't hurt:p

zoorok
3rd July 2005, 08:50 PM
i usually smile or make eye contact with other c900 owners, occasionally ill get a nod... i dont bother with drivers of the newer models, they just usually try and cut me up :lol:

CHUCK85122
4th July 2005, 11:20 AM
:D I wave you all, right now, at this moment!:cheesy:

jetman
4th July 2005, 12:09 PM
Any other Saab stalkers here? If I see a c900 I just have to catch it in traffic and have a look.

oddferkout
4th July 2005, 10:51 PM
Being in California, aside from the new 9-3 SS it's rare that I see a 9-5 and or older Saabs. I've noticed that at a stop we usually end up checking out each other's cars, slight nod and then on our way. Sort of funny, really. Heh.

Eugene
5th July 2005, 08:49 AM

Erm.......... Greetings to you to :roll:

john tanner
5th July 2005, 09:29 AM
If you don't get a response 9 times out of 10 stop waving....I am sure the 1 finger salute really inspires the other driver into thinking he was better off ignoring you in the first place:confused: i wave at other saab owner/drivers but 9 times out of 10 i get non in return o well they dont wanna wave i just crack a smile & give the big ole 1 finger salute :lol:

stromer
5th July 2005, 12:01 PM
i wave at other saab owner/drivers but 9 times out of 10 i get non in return o well they dont wanna wave i just crack a smile & give the big ole 1 finger salute :lol:

Are you serious?

john tanner
5th July 2005, 12:54 PM
If you are a Doctor or have money does that automatically make you rude then!!!!!yea sure to the ones who think thier better then me the ones that when you wave give you a dirty look or stick thier nose up at me, talk about rude ,but remember 95% of the people that have saabs in ''my area'' are doctors or people of money , & i am not :cheesy:

rage
5th July 2005, 01:53 PM
It's a sad, sad day.

It certainly is Stevie G wants to leave Anfield....:cry:

Oh hang on you were talking about something else :roll:

I got a Mondeo or some other eurobox pull up to me at the lights today and the guy winds his window down and tells me how much he likes my car and how his mate in germany used to have one. Then the lights changed and i showed him how well it goes too.

fliptopbin
5th July 2005, 08:26 PM
I do get nice comments about my car, but as for waving....

I have all but given up. I always wave at c900s and older, but rarely get any kind of reaction :roll:. Don't bother with newer cars as there are loads about and most of their owners probably wouldn't even know what make it was! Of course if they waved I would wave back.

Very rare I get a reply though.

I too have done that flyby thing and if I see one in traffic I try to get a little closer :) Amazing how many people will just drive past you even though you're looking at them and grinning. *sigh*

saab_junkie
5th July 2005, 10:13 PM
gesh sorry,,sorry i cant exspress how i feel without getting slammed now i know why i left this forum many many months ago so long & fair well

Swade
5th July 2005, 10:40 PM
gesh sorry,,sorry i cant exspress how i feel without getting slammed now i know why i left this forum many many months ago so long & fair well

Mods, I think this is the trouble when you give too many formatting options. :)

Junkie, I wish you well.

Slaab4life
6th July 2005, 07:40 AM
Funny how this post is going on and I said that I've gotten one wave, well its one wave and a huge thumbs up from a distance and it came from.....wait for it, wait for it.......a C900.

Katsura
6th July 2005, 12:34 PM
What an interesting thread.

I have only been a Saab owner for 2 months and I had both good and bad experiences.

The day I bought my M98 9-5 (don't look down on me, I can only have 1 car and the 9-5 fits my needs better than c900s, altho everytime I saw one I always wished I'd had one), I need to drive from the dealer yard onto the main road and the traffic was very busy, it was a nice driver in a 900 gave way to me and waved.

Prior to that, while I was sorting through the history of my 9-5, I rang up the previous owner, to check about some serviced items and see if he'd got the spare key. Never have I had the pleasure to talk to such miserable person. I was polite and asked if he'd kindly have a chat with his old car, he just grumbled "I've only got one key" and hang up, as if I'm demanding his life from him.

I recon he'd be better off as BMW driver.

Saab tries to portrait their customers as independent thinking people who don't like to quite follow convention and rules. (Their Japanese and Chinese advert campain seem to try to convey that message). Maybe this was true for the old Saab, I feel a lot of the newer customers are just as snobby as BMW and Audi drivers. Or just junior company execs who got a fleet 9-3.

On a related note, I found the UK drivers overall seem to be more snnoby about their car's badge more than other european countries I visited?

I always wanted to wave to nice old 9000 and 900s but nore sure these days. Anyway, next time if you see a cyanne red MY98 9-5 in Manchester area(there's not that many of these around I htink), give us a wave or a nod. :D

SAABidji
25th July 2005, 09:47 PM
Hey everyone.
Very interesting thread. Living in France, I've tried to wave or nod at the very few other SAAB owners I happen to see on the roads and I generally just get ignored. Most of them drive recent 9-3 and, as some others said, probably don't even know what they're driving. But heh, you never know, so I guess I'll keep on waving no matter what. Glad to hear that there is indeed some sort of a SAAB community as I was beginning to have my doubts.
The only positive response I've had so far was from a guy in his twenties (like me, so mebbe that helped :confused: ) driving a 900 turbo. It's quite rare to see "older" SAABs here, so we were both quite surprized at first and glanced at each other for a second, then we drove side by side for like 200 meters or so and then we went or ways.
Anyways, great forums you have here, lots of very helpful info. :cool:

swiftpete
25th July 2005, 10:36 PM
I used to wave in my old alfa at other alfa drivers and sometimes got waved back. Especially by people in old rustbucket 33's like my old knackered (but fun!) one. Not waved in my saab at anyone yet but tomorrow I'm going to start.

I think even new Aero owners probably know what they've got, 9000 owners may also know what they have and older 900 owners definitely have a good idea! When you see anyone in nice nick old 900 you know they must be a saab fan.

cinemarr
26th July 2005, 04:20 AM

Hmmm...................moron.

Turbopowered
27th July 2005, 04:45 PM
I just purchased my 2005 9-3 about three months ago and I am obsessed with Saab already. It is interesting to hear the owners of 900s and 9000s say that they don't bother with "the wave" with new Saabs. So far I have only seen a couple older Saabs around here, but LOTS of the new 9-3ss. Most of them are women drivers who just wanted a european luxury car, but there are those of us who drive new Saabs that see it as "more than a car". So for those of you in 900s and 9000s: Give us new owners a chance.

Orca
27th July 2005, 05:00 PM
So for those of you in 900s and 9000s: Give us new owners a chance.

Will do ;)

Funny thing about all this is, I have a few regular (usually daily) waves. My first is with a chap in a pristine silver VW Scirocco, next a nice, but scruffy white Audi Quattro Coupe ... then a black Ferrari (dunno the model, but he always grins and waves) ... then a nice red SAAB C900 XS. I regularly see a black C900 SE and a silver flat nose C900 turbo, too. I think it might be an "old car" kind of thing ... and perhaps, more '80s "classics", like the VW Scirocco or the Audi Quattro. Can't explain the Ferrari, though ... maybe he also has a C900 and forgets what he's driving :cheesy:

cinemarr
27th July 2005, 07:56 PM
I just purchased my 2005 9-3 about three months ago and I am obsessed with Saab already. It is interesting to hear the owners of 900s and 9000s say that they don't bother with "the wave" with new Saabs. So far I have only seen a couple older Saabs around here, but LOTS of the new 9-3ss. Most of them are women drivers who just wanted a european luxury car, but there are those of us who drive new Saabs that see it as "more than a car". So for those of you in 900s and 9000s: Give us new owners a chance.

Right you are mate. Us 900 drivers are all too quick to assume that we are the only cool saabers out there and I am one of them. I will make a concerted effort to acknowledge the new cars. Congrats on your new 93!

This week I have decided I am going to beep or wave at every saab I see and I will report with results when the test is completed. :cheesy:

SAABidji
27th July 2005, 08:10 PM
Great idea, I'm gonna do that myself too. :D
Oh, and I have no problem with the newer SAAB owners at all... or with the newer SAABs themselves, for that matter ;).

cinemarr
27th July 2005, 08:16 PM
get back to us with the results. Maybe I should try 2 weeks? :cheesy:

Slaab4life
27th July 2005, 09:39 PM

Wave an ye shall be waved back to! :cheesy:

I'm just too lazy to beep or wave now aday, when a typical day involves sitting in traffic with a Saab in front of you and another Saab to you side, you start to loose the feeling of rarity and individuality that is Saab.

cinemarr
27th July 2005, 09:46 PM
Wave an ye shall be waved back to! :cheesy:

I'm just too lazy to beep or wave now aday, when a typical day involves sitting in traffic with a Saab in front of you and another Saab to you side, you start to loose the feeling of rarity and individuality that is Saab.

See I don't have that problem here in sydney. I can drive all day and not see another c900 but I admit I see plenty of NG900's and 9000's though.

DaGerman
28th July 2005, 01:08 AM
yeah, when ever i see any saab, i always either give them the nob with a big smile if i'm next to them. otherwise, i just throw the horns or just wave or something like that. i get some funny looks though. could be cuz i'm only 18 and most of them are like 30 to 40 and not driving like saabs aren't meant to be driven. :lol:

smicallef427
28th July 2005, 01:57 AM
I love giving a nod when i see another Saab on the road. I once was next to this hot girl on a street in an older style 93 vert, and she looked at me and I gave her the nod.

Funny story, A fellow salesperson at the store where I work is named Bob Raab (I kid you not) who drives a 9-5 SE. How crazy is that, I've always wondered what nationality his last name is.

cinemarr
28th July 2005, 02:02 AM
yeah, when ever i see any saab, i always either give them the nob with a big smile if i'm next to them. otherwise, i just throw the horns or just wave or something like that. i get some funny looks though. could be cuz i'm only 18 and most of them are like 30 to 40 and not driving like saabs aren't meant to be driven. :lol:

30 to 40 years old, wow that's old! :roll:

Slaab4life
28th July 2005, 06:40 AM
I see every single model you could imagine (except Sonnets, 9-2x's, and 9-7's). C900's seem to be coming back into popularity in my area, especially the verts. One has been beautifully maintained down the street from me (guy's daily driver is a 9-5 wagon), I have yet to stop by when he has it out. Right down the street from him is another beautiful C900 vert, and then I know a kid in town who has one (but doesn't seem to realize what he's driving).

I did exagerate a little in my last post. While I do get stuck in traffic surrounded by Saabs, I lied when I say I'm too lazy/tired to make an attempt to get at least a smile from the drivers. Typically I do give a steering wheel wave and a huge smile to every Saab I come upon.

cinemarr
28th July 2005, 06:48 AM
maybe we should organise some sort of sticker for the windscreen? something stylish and transparent "Saab waver" or something not so corny. :cheesy:

john tanner
28th July 2005, 07:28 AM
You might get funny looks because your giving them the "nob" and not the nod...their are laws against that sort of thing.:cheesy: :confused: yeah, when ever i see any saab, i always either give them the nob with a big smile if i'm next to them. otherwise, i just throw the horns or just wave or something like that. i get some funny looks though. could be cuz i'm only 18 and most of them are like 30 to 40 and not driving like saabs aren't meant to be driven. :lol:

Eugene
28th July 2005, 09:52 AM
hehehehehehe......That's too funny :cheesy:

silversaab96
28th July 2005, 10:56 AM
Odd how there were heaps of C900s on the road only 5 years ago or so, and now they seem to have vanished. Still, the relative rarity makes it all the more fun when I'm driving along and theres another C900 cruising in the same direction in one of the other lanes.. you can pick the drivers who really enjoy their cars.. passing usually evokes a wry grin and a nod from the driver and often a smile from the passengers.

..and off topic, against reasonable odds, why do I keep seeing the same black C900 turbo between Yea and Mansfield when I drive up that way? :confused:

DaGerman
28th July 2005, 12:01 PM
You might get funny looks because your giving them the "nob" and not the nod...their are laws against that sort of thing.:cheesy: :confused:

LOL, stupid typos....

DaGerman
28th July 2005, 12:02 PM
30 to 40 years old, wow that's old! :roll:

i know. that is like ancient or something:roll: but yeah, me being 18, i guess they kinda look down or me or something???:lol:

Slaab4life
28th July 2005, 09:39 PM
The sticker I hold is the SaabCentral sticker. See anyone with one of those and you're sure to find someone who will wave.