expensive noise [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: expensive noise

student9000s
3rd December 2002, 02:42 AM
firefly from hell :evil: when i tried to start her. i think the starter motor is protesting continued service. sounds right to you guys?

BillJ
3rd December 2002, 04:23 AM
Hi, student9000s.

I can't quite imagine the "firefly from hell" sound (I don't think I've ever heard a firefly). Can you describe it some other way?

Did the engine refuse to turn when this happened, or did it turn but made a lot of noise?

student9000s
3rd December 2002, 04:52 AM
an insane buzzing happened twice now she's dead

BillJ
3rd December 2002, 05:38 AM
Did the engine turn at all?
When you're trying to start it, what does the voltage display show?

student9000s
3rd December 2002, 01:57 PM
i tried giving her a boost after to see if that was te problem

Mark P
3rd December 2002, 02:38 PM
Hey student9000s..

[a] Did the engine turn at all?
[b] When you're trying to start it, what does the voltage display show?

student9000s
3rd December 2002, 02:40 PM
no turn
but i think the display showed up

BillJ
3rd December 2002, 03:04 PM
i tried giving her a boost after to see if that was te problem
And was it? Did anything different happen?

student9000s
3rd December 2002, 03:12 PM
that's when the squeeling happened and then nothing

BillJ
3rd December 2002, 03:17 PM
that's when the squeeling happened and then nothing
What squealing??? :o
You didn't mention that before.

student9000s
3rd December 2002, 03:23 PM
does that make it a more expensive noise

BillJ
3rd December 2002, 03:39 PM
I dunno. I'm starting to lose track here.
Can we write down the whole story in detail from beginning to end? Try to include anything you think might be relevant.

student9000s
3rd December 2002, 03:53 PM
lol sorry i do have rather fragmented thought patterns. first the car didn't start, so i figured battery is dead. got a boost and the resulting noise was far less than pleasant. it was a crasy screetching when i thried to start her. i got that for two turns then nothing at all.

PhilP
3rd December 2002, 04:49 PM
Sounds like it may be a seized starter motor, that said , your descriptive powers aren't the best!

student9000s
3rd December 2002, 10:58 PM
fair enough many thanks i'll take her out and give here some play sorry about the crappy descriptions but i wasn't actually there so i was just describing what other poeple had told me, again very sorry about the descriptions and thankyou for baring with me.

Elmo91
3rd January 2003, 06:20 PM
If the engine isnt turning even after a boost you may need to replace the + battery cable. This happened to me once, so I replaced the cable and now she runns fine. Can you see any corrosion on the cable???

jeronimo
3rd January 2003, 07:46 PM
I'm not an electrics expert but you could check both the + battery cable and the battery at the same time. If you undo the + cable at the starter and use a battery tester on the end of it and to the -ve on the battery, check to see what the output is.

If that is OK, you could undo the starter and see if it turns freely when you have reconnected the cables to it.

If not then I would think it's the starter. If it does turn freely, then you could come back here with further input.

HTH