Performance upgrades for 1989 Saab 9000 turbo [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Performance upgrades for 1989 Saab 9000 turbo

89saab9000turbo
2nd December 2002, 08:05 PM
How can I increase the horsepower on my 1989 Saab 9000 turbo?

Thanks

Alanb
3rd December 2002, 05:32 AM
You are in luck because tweaking a '89 9000 is very cheap. To increase performance you should follow the advice on the Classic 900 forum since the set up is basically the same.

The first thing to do is check that the car runs properly (e.g. check for vacuum leaks, check timing, check headgasket is OK).

The next thing is to adjust the APC to give more boost. The best way is to change two resistors on the APC board ( avery easy and cheap thing to do). This will give you a significant power increase. Search the 900 forum for info on this under something like 'tweak' of 'apc tweak'.

A further stage would be to adjust the timing actuator so that it gives more retard at high boost.

With these mods, and if running good fuel, you should be seeing mid-red boost :P

Alanb

BillJ
3rd December 2002, 06:00 AM
Welcome to SaabCentral, 89saab9000turbo.

I think (not 100% sure) that by '89 all 9000 turbos had Direct Ignition. Certainly, all 2.3T engines had it and I think 2.0T from '89 on. In these cars, the APC function is digital and incorporated in the DI/APC module. This isn't manually tweakable in the manner that alan describes, but a number of tuners offer an upgrade chip. If you do this, make sure to get a matching chip for the fuel injection system.

I assume your car is running correctly at the moment - boost gauge going up into the broken red area (for the 2.3T, can't remember where it should be in the 2.0T, but I think it's the same).

Alanb
3rd December 2002, 06:41 AM
I'm terribly sorry, I was pretty sure that non-DI cars ran until 1990. Please ignore my earlier suggestions!

Alanb

Alanb
3rd December 2002, 06:47 AM
Just checked on this at:

http://www.saabmuseum.co.uk/9000/my.html

and you really need to check your car to see whether you have DI or not. MY89 all had DI fitted but, if it was bought in 1989 it may be a MY88 in which case it will be non-DI and the tweaks I suggested will apply.

The DI will be a red cassette that sits on the cylinder head, over the spark plugs. Non DI cars will have ignition leads leading to the spark plugs.

Alanb

Stealth1347
6th December 2002, 01:41 PM
Welcome to SaabCentral, 89saab9000turbo.

I think (not 100% sure) that by '89 all 9000 turbos had Direct Ignition. Certainly, all 2.3T engines had it and I think 2.0T from '89 on. In these cars, the APC function is digital and incorporated in the DI/APC module. This isn't manually tweakable in the manner that alan describes, but a number of tuners offer an upgrade chip. If you do this, make sure to get a matching chip for the fuel injection system.

I assume your car is running correctly at the moment - boost gauge going up into the broken red area (for the 2.3T, can't remember where it should be in the 2.0T, but I think it's the same).

The 2.3L did not come here (U.S) until MY 1991. My MY 1990 is still a 2.0L.

So let me get one thing straight, cars with DI cannot use the APC tweaks?

Stealth

BillJ
6th December 2002, 04:32 PM
So let me get one thing straight, cars with DI cannot use the APC tweaks?
The APC in DI cars is digital (microprocessor-controlled) and requires a chip upgrqade. There are no pots to twiddle like there are on the original analogue APC.

The plus-point, I suppose, is that the same upgrade can modify the ignition map too.

Ubipa
23rd December 2002, 10:01 PM
I know of many 1990 2.3L 9kt in the US. strange breed w/ Lh2.4.1 and the earlier type DI/APC system.