First start, (cold start) problems with a 9000 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: First start, (cold start) problems with a 9000

Matthew Forrest
01-12-02, 02:29 PM
I have a 94' Saab 9000. When I have an initial start after it has been sitting for a while, I notice that it starts and then dies (stalls) immediatly. This start and stall parade can last for about 5 minutes untill the car warms up a bit and then my car idels perfectly. However, when I start it up the first time, I can put my foot on the accelerator, thereby not allowing the car to stall and wait until it warms up to alleviate the problem. Usually I dont have that much patience and I end up driving away and hoping I dont have to stop before I get to the end of the street or until the car warms up. :lol:
I have seen the myriad of answers given for a similar problem on the old saab 900's and I am looking for someone that has, in fact, solved the problem on one of those or has some advice on the 9000's.(I'm looking for a little more than a shot in the dark) :cheesy: Currently I'm not sure if there is a difference in the overall problem or solution because of the model difference. All help would be most appreciated.
Matthew

BillJ
01-12-02, 02:55 PM
Welcome to SaabCentral, Matthew.

Would an informed shot in the dark be acceptable? :D
There is a coolant temperature sensor on the cylinder head, underneath the inlet manifold. This tells the system whether the engine is hot or cold. It sounds like you may not be getting the cold start enrichment, so perhaps this sensor is faulty.

I think if it were disconnected completely, though, you'd be having warm-start and warm-running problems.

If you remove it, you can expect to lose some coolant, but if you want to test it, a measurement is probably feasible in-situ. From your description, I'd be measuring it when cold as this is when the problem occurs.

It's a temperature-dependent resistor and the resistance should be as follows:

20-30 K ohms at -30 deg C
7.0-11.4 K ohms at -10 deg C
2.1-2.9 K ohms at 20 deg C
1.0-1.3 K ohms at 40 deg C
0.565-0.670 K ohms at 60 deg C
0.295-0.365 K ohms at 80 deg C
0.24-0.26 K ohms at 90 deg C
0.14-0.16 K ohms at 110 deg C

Matthew Forrest
01-12-02, 04:56 PM
Opps... hit the Enter button by accident. Keep the ideas coming, or if anyone has fixed this problem I would love to hear from you. Matthew

Matthew Forrest
01-12-02, 08:51 PM
HI everyone, I still need soem help with my cold idle problem. Could love some help and advice.
matt

Stealth1347
06-12-02, 12:56 PM
Check every last vacuum hose you can find. After an oil change I found my 900 did not run well at all when cold, but fine when warm. Found a vacuum hose knocked off near the oil filter. This was after I thought I checked them all and went with new plugs, distributor cap/rotor, and plug wires. I was extremely upset after all that and it not working, then I noticed a hose danging near the oil filter, plugged it in, no prob after that.

Stealth

Trobinson9kT
05-01-03, 12:24 PM
Matthew, I had a similar problem with my '87 9000 Turbo and after going through many things I replaced the AMM (air mass meter). The injection system uses an air temperature sensor in the AMM for the first 30-60 seconds for the cold start/running enrichment. If you had a problem with the cold start sensor as Bill J. mentions you would likely have warm start problems as well. There isn't any really good test for the AMM other than testing one in the car. Hope this helps.

Tom R.