losing power [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: losing power

stevestress
30-11-02, 07:48 PM
:( Hi buds please help me it's costing me a fortune.I have a Saab 9000 I 1988 I have had it for two years now and love it apart from one thing ,when driving along the road as norm ,all of a sudden it loses power and you can't get anything from the gas ,the check engine light comes on ,I have to stop it turn off ignition then on again and rev quite high ,it may do this all day then perfect it comes and goes ,If it had a carb then yes i can strip and clean it.I have had the injectors cleaned and changed plugs twice and fuel filter ,I am assuming it is a fuel problem please help

sweetdreamer
02-02-03, 01:05 PM
Hi Stev, welcome to the club!!! in more ways than one! I am also a new member AND having a similar problem. My 9000 2.3 will run fine and then it just cuts out for no apparent reason apart from its been over bumps or ive reversed a bit too quick.No matter how many times I try to restart it just wont fire up. If I leave it for about 10 minutes and retry it fires up!! Sometimes it runs better sometimes it runs worse after restart. It has been a problem with the last owner because when I bought the car a month ago one of the bills shows that the cranksensors had been renewed because of of intermittent stalling and reluctance to restart. This very expensive job, about 350 by a Saab dealer obviously didnt fix it!!I will let you know what I learn
Sweetdreamer

BillJ
02-02-03, 02:19 PM
Hi, guys. Welcome to SaabCentral.

From what the two of you are saying, your problems may indeed be related. Given the other things that have been tried, my first thought would be a fuel pump problem. These have been known to give intermittent problems before giving up altogether. Another possible problem on the 2.3 is the ignition cassette (I think the 2.3i had Direct Ignition), but the bit about going over bumps seems to point ot something mechanical. The '88 non-turbo had distributor ignition, as far as I know, so it wouldn't be a DI problem.

sweetdreamer
03-02-03, 03:50 PM
Hi Bj, thanks for the reply. I,m also leaning towards a it being a mechanical problem that is causing the sudden cutting out. Ive checked the DI cassettes and they seem fine apart from a small oil leakage on number 3, Ive traced all of the vaccuum lines and they seem fine, Ive checked the fuel filter and pump and they appear to be in working order, iVe checked all the earths and cleaned them, the battery is tight and the terminals are clean. I will check the fuel relay sensor next, when I can find it! I believe its behind the fuse compartment of the glove box? Ive checked the inlet manifolds, nothing there, unplugged the air mass meter and sprayed terminal cleaner into it, (it seemed to run better for a while!) the 15amp ignition relay fuse was missing in the fuse box in the engine bay so I have replaced that and I will just keep on trying to track things in sequence.It did ity again to me this morning after only a short run, I had to reverse a couple of times to get into an awkward parking spot and behold it cut out!!cranked it over, absolutely nothing, seemed as if there wasnt a sark there.Left it for ten minutes,turned the key and it started perfectly. Electrical items like the fuel relay sensor do act up and then just die so Im hoping it is that. I know it may sound like the crank sensors are out of line but Im thinking that if they were renewed a few months ago then surely thwey cant be out of line again? would a jerky gear change into reverse affect the crank sensors? or going over very bumpy stretches of road throw out the sensors? I would be reluctant to think it would but being new to Saabs I dont know there little idiosynchrasys yet!! Keep on trying and keep you all informed, thanks for the advice.

BillJ
03-02-03, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't suspect the crank sensor, although I suppose there's a chance that it might not have been fitted securely. I've never heard of it moving around and giving trouble. The fuel pump relay is a possible candidate. I believe that they do sometimes give trouble.

If your car has an immobiliser which cuts the power to the fuel pump, this may also have a defective relay internally that is not always capable of switching current through to the pump.

red9k
03-02-03, 06:26 PM
As for stevestress your problem is probably your Air Flow Meter that is going to trow in the towel!

sweetdreamer
04-02-03, 06:05 AM
Thanks BJ, I suppose a defective immobiliser system would throw up the same symptoms, a friend of mine had similar problems on those things they call Vauxhall Astras!!and that turned out to be the immobiliser acting up so he disconnected it, problem solved. The immobiliser on my Saab appears to have been disconnected though, there is no light flashing on the steering column when I activate the key fob and the alarms dont work. I suspect that they have been disconnected to try and solve the cutting out problem. However I never take anything on face value when its a puzzle and it is possible that the immobiliser system is still active but acting up.I will check it out and the fuel sensor and let you know.

BillJ
04-02-03, 06:34 AM
Even if the immobiliser has been disabled, the fuel pump electrical supply will probably still be passing through a relay inside the immobiliser. If this relay is faulty, then it could interrupt the power to the pump at times. I can't say for sure, of course, that it is the immobiliser.

Yes, checking out the fuel pump relay is probably the first step.

sweetdreamer
04-02-03, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the response BJ I will do that today and let you know. Lucky Ive got this week off work it will give me the chance to try and sort it!

sweetdreamer
04-02-03, 10:58 AM
[When you have eradicated all of the probable then the answer lies with the improbable!! quote="sweetdreamer"]Thanks for the response BJ I will do that today and let you know. Lucky Ive got this week off work it will give me the chance to try and sort it![/quote]

sweetdreamer
04-02-03, 03:19 PM
Hi Bj, it appears that the immobiliser is still active,when I checked it through the key fob activator was dodgy!! now all Ive got to do is find the circuit for the immobiliser and alarm,not one of my strong points tracing electronics, any ideas anybody? and dont tell me that females should not try that kinda thing!
once again thanks Bj.

fmbuilder
20-02-03, 12:37 AM
My 92 9000CS Turbo suffers a similar problem. But it only seems to occur on hot summer days.I'm in Australia and it can get over 40C on some days. After I've been driving for a while, the car will suddenly lose power, the check engine light comes on and it just dies, often at the most inconvenient times/places. If I leave the car for a full half hour, it starts again and usually keeps going quite happily. The temp guage is only at about 3/4, so it doesn't seem to be related to the cooling system.

Any ideas?

sweetdreamer
20-02-03, 02:43 PM
Hi, fmbuilder, welcome to the club! Ive been busy checking out all of the things mentioned in my e.mail, the car does seem to be running fine at the moment, hope it stays that way. I thought it might have been a cooling problem amongst the many other things for the following reasons. Saabs have two cooling fan speeds, normal and rapid cool. The rapid cool only cuts in when the temp gauge is a little over halfway but by this time the engine and especially the Direct ignition cassette is pretty red hot! Check to see if the fan cuts in at both speeds, there is plenty of tech info about it in this site, also check to see if you have an oil leak from any of the ignition cassettes. (When you take the red cover off there may be some fresh oil on or around your plugs) its possible that the cassette is becoming too hot and cutting out the relays. Its worth a try, check the thermostat as well,I know I shouldnt encourage this but try running it for a while with the thermostat out, it will use more juice but if solvers the cutting out problem then its definately an overheating prob. Good luck to ya mate.

sweetdreamer
23-02-03, 12:33 PM
Hi fmbuilder hope you get this file on the prepump.If has not loaded go to classic saab9000 site and then technical info.there is a number of links there which are really useful, thats were I got the prepump info from