How to bring the plastic trim around the doors back to life? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: How to bring the plastic trim around the doors back to life?

DougR
30th May 2005, 01:51 PM
I have a 2002 93. I have noticed that the black trim around the doors/windows is starting to fade, and look very weathered. What should I use to bring this back to life. Specifically I am looking to restore the plastic area between the front and rear doors. I have tried tire shine, I have tried vinyl wipes, but neither seem to make a difference. Before my experimentation gets too crazy, I figured I would see what the forums recommend.

Thanks
Doug

Orca
30th May 2005, 02:09 PM
I have heard running them through the washing machine brings back some of the springiness to old, tired rubber ... I've not tried it though. As for restoring the depth of colour, what about a careful application of black boot polish? I use it on the rubber around my car's whaletail and it seems ideal. It gives a little waterproofing, too.

Last_straw
30th May 2005, 02:16 PM
I heard shoe polish was good too, I've tried "back to black" trim dressing products and though they look good when you apply them they are washed off a week or so later :(

Orca
30th May 2005, 02:27 PM
Just re-thinking my proposal ... if it's around the door trim, you'd need to be careful getting in and out of the car. I'm always catching the door with my arm or shoulder. You wouldn't want boot polish on your clothes. On other parts of the car, like spoilers, it's great ... much better than "back to black" type products.

Rob in Atlanta
30th May 2005, 02:31 PM
Griots Garage sells a product called bumper and trim reconditioner. Bumper & Trim Reconditioner (http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=bumper) The product is an actual dye that can restore vinyl, rubber and similar materials to a like-new condition. I used it before on my car and the results have lasted several years. There are probably similar products that do the same job.

JWLANKY
30th May 2005, 02:37 PM
I heard shoe polish was good too, I've tried "back to black" trim dressing products and though they look good when you apply them they are washed off a week or so later :(
Back to black is useless, and i've found that it can even make bumpers etc worse after if wears off leaving patches that wont shift. I've just bought some meguiars trim detailer (3.00 off Ebay!!) and its more like a cream, and so far it is the best stuff i've ever used (well it look just as good as when i first applied it a month ago + 3 washes). It works brilliant on all plastics / door seals / rubbers and you only use a real small amount each time on a sponge, so by all account it'll last me years!:cool:

DougR
30th May 2005, 02:39 PM
Griots Garage sells a product called bumper and trim reconditioner. Bumper & Trim Reconditioner (http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=bumper) The product is an actual dye that can restore vinyl, rubber and similar materials to a like-new condition. I used it before on my car and the results have lasted several years. There are probably similar products that do the same job.

I think I will try this stuff out. Thanks for the link!

As far as boot polish. It sounds like a good idea on the spoiler and such, but as someone mentioned, the thought of getting shoe polish on my clothing, and then on the interior, etc., is not something I want to do. I know I could be careful enough, but I would imagine my wife would be less than thrilled :)

ragtopcav
30th May 2005, 03:31 PM
when you're sick of trying to refresh the plastic trim tape, consider what this guys done to his Viggen (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=443955&postcount=15)

Alex
30th May 2005, 03:46 PM
The Meguiars trim cleaner is very good, though keep off the paint as it is silicone based.

cdaly
30th May 2005, 05:04 PM
Have a look at this thread too http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47930&highlight=autoglym+bumper+care

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFinn
30th May 2005, 07:14 PM
Just use a can of silicon spray, superb for trims of all sorts, even better on rubber window and door trims.. :cheesy:

SaabKen
30th May 2005, 08:41 PM
I second that. With applications about once every two weeks (my car is garaged), I've been able to keep my black plastic pieces (door trims, spoiler, mirror housings, wheel arch trim, etc) and rubber trims (doors, hatch) stay black. Of course this varies depending on weather and how often I wash the car. The point is I find MeGuiar's products (ie: trim detailer, vinyl/rubber protectant) reliable and long-lasting :)

The Meguiars trim cleaner is very good, though keep off the paint as it is silicone based.

CleveSaab
30th May 2005, 09:17 PM
http://www.foreverblack.com (http://www.foreverblack.com/) is far and away the best I've used.

Works real well on the hard plastic trim pieces. The black sills down each side of the windshield. The black roof rack covers for the coupe. The black piece in front of the rear wheel, and the piece that runs down the car.
It works on the side trim pieces between the windows, but requires many coats.
Also claims to work on bumpers. I haven't tried that yet.
I'm going to try the black pieces that run down the middle of the car next.
It's some kind of dye so it's almost like painting them.
I have some before/afters somewhere.
Mine have held up all winter and still look like the day I did them.

Your best bet is this or the stuff the other guys are talking about. I have no experience with that. Or you can buy new ones from the dealer. or remove them which I am considering since the car is black.

DougR
31st May 2005, 12:04 AM
when you're sick of trying to refresh the plastic trim tape, consider what this guys done to his Viggen (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=443955&postcount=15)

So let me get this straight. The guy just pulled the black parts off to reveal paint underneath? I do agree with one of the posters in that thread...it made the car look tall...not something I want.

madmax252
31st May 2005, 12:14 AM
I've read many good things about 303 Aerospace Protectant on this site, so I just bought a bottle and tried it out today. Works great, it'll bring the black on the interior and exterior parts back to life.

garry
31st May 2005, 05:44 AM
peanut butter.

shifts
shields
shines

really does work.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
31st May 2005, 05:58 AM
Armour All - works everytime!

DougR
31st May 2005, 06:47 AM
So it sounds like anything works, including peanut butter...haha

I think instead of ordering online, I will just swing by the local auto store and pick up something recommended here.

Returned
31st May 2005, 07:07 AM
I've found that Turtle Wax's new 'Tyre Gel' is fantastic, particularly on the skirt on the 9000.

Doesn't get washed off either.

20Ted
31st May 2005, 09:54 AM
http://www.foreverblack.com (http://www.foreverblack.com/) is far and away the best I've used.

Works real well on the hard plastic trim pieces. The black sills down each side of the windshield. The black roof rack covers for the coupe. The black piece in front of the rear wheel, and the piece that runs down the car.
It works on the side trim pieces between the windows, but requires many coats.
Also claims to work on bumpers. I haven't tried that yet.
I'm going to try the black pieces that run down the middle of the car next.
It's some kind of dye so it's almost like painting them.
I have some before/afters somewhere.
Mine have held up all winter and still look like the day I did them.

Another vote for Forever Black. Mine lasted all winter and I just did a refresh coat last week. Makes everything really black again - gets rid of wax too! I also use the Forever black tire gel on the tires - nice black tires for months without the shine!

CleveSaab
31st May 2005, 11:15 AM
Armour All - works everytime!

Yea, but you have to use it every month.
ArmoAll DOES NOT bring external trim back to life.
Armorall, once a month.
Forever Black once a year. *if that.

mg_td
31st May 2005, 11:26 AM
So let me get this straight. The guy just pulled the black parts off to reveal paint underneath? I do agree with one of the posters in that thread...it made the car look tall...not something I want.

if its a black car, doing this will only reveal black paint, and thats a good thing. but with mine being silver and all, it does look a bit funny. i'm going to be putting on new trim tape.

Rob in Atlanta
31st May 2005, 11:55 AM
Armorall, once a month.
Forever Black once a year. *if that.
And Griots Bumper & Trim Reconditioner every three or four years

pillsy151
31st May 2005, 02:10 PM
peanut butter.

shifts
shields
shines

really does work.

i tried using Peanut Oil from the grocery store. It worked better than anything else I've tried. i started applying it with a toothbrush, then wiping it off with a cloth, but by the end, i was able to just dab some on a cloth, wipe it on, then wipe it right back off. the peanut helps keep the oil sticking to the black, to which the oil softens up all the gunk which you can then wipe right off with the cloth.

before you go out and buy some expensive "specialty" cleaner, try a bottle of peanut oil from the grocery store for ~$3.

DougR
1st June 2005, 08:59 AM
I picked up "back to black" by mothers. I could not remember if back to black or forever black is what was recommmended. After reading the thread again, I just realized someone advised not to use back to black. I think I will forget about the mothers, and just try some peanut oil. I don't even want to take this stuff back, the autozone is in the ghetto, and its not worth the $3 to take it back :) It's weird around here, there aren't any auto stores, I guess everyone just takes their car to the dealer, and runs their car throught the auto wash.

cropey
2nd June 2005, 07:50 AM
Another cheap method that I use is liquid parrafin. Available from the chemist.

It gives the trim a waterproof coat aswell as rejuvenating the the dark areas.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
2nd June 2005, 08:03 AM
Yea, but you have to use it every month.
ArmoAll DOES NOT bring external trim back to life.
Armorall, once a month.
Forever Black once a year. *if that. Ah! But I clean the Swiftmobile more than once a year, in fact every month :cheesy: !

Naranto
2nd June 2005, 10:49 AM
Zaphod - looking at your car it has to be weekly - its always totally spotless :cool:

Thurs10cmd
2nd June 2005, 01:05 PM
i detailed the saab yesterday and used turtle wax tyre gel and black shoe polish, as someone had suggested both in this thread. the shoe polish worked very well on the pillar trim, it gave it a nice deep black. i then used the turtle wax on the side skirts, mirrors and front and rear bumbers. this also worked well, it gave new life to the black, gave it a shine, but it takes 2 coats because it tends to dry spotty. i've also tried peanut butter, which works, but is more tedious. so thanks for all the suggestions, they worked!!