Changing an exhaust manifold [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Changing an exhaust manifold

nefarious
27th May 2005, 08:07 AM
Looks like this weekend will involve me getting round to fixing the exhaust manifold on the 900 (87 SPG). I just thought I'd post up a couple of questions before I launch in so hopefully someone who's done the job before can save me a bit of time and head scratching...

1) Any general tips for getting the bolts out without stripping or sheering (other than coating them with WD40 the night before)? (I'm especially worried about the manifold to turbo bolts).

2) I can't actually see the crack, but it's not blowing THAT badly. It might even just be the gasket. I'm hoping that I'll be able to weld a little crack if there is one. Is this a waste of time? Will a MIG turned up real high actually be hot enough to effect a decent repair, or should I just go and find a new manifold?

3) The positioning of the manifold is a bit awkward as you can't really see what you're doing - any tips for getting the new gasket properly lined up?

Any help/advise most gratefully recieved...

N

Raub
27th May 2005, 09:30 AM
I would go with a new or good used manifold. Forget the WD-40, go buy some PB Blaster. Best stuff I've ever used for freeing rusted or frozen bolts/nuts. If you have access to em, get some impact sockets.They grip the flats of the bolts better.