'98 9000 CSE Turbo brake system compatability [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: '98 9000 CSE Turbo brake system compatability

zweizweifunf
24-05-05, 12:39 AM
hello all, new to the forums but have been lurking for a fairly long time.

ive owned my 9000 for the last couple of years, only 70k on it as of today, but i seem to have run through my pads and would only venture to guess that ill be replacing my entire brake system.

incidentally, a friend of mine has a '92 9000 of which model i am unfamiliar, but has offered to give me free reign of the 1.5 year old system he had installed before his engine went, turning it into a parts car.

my question, and pardon my ignorance if the info is readily available:

will his brake system work with mine? i know ive a four bolt pattern, and i seem to remember a certain spacing, and i know the new 9000 style debuted not too long after '92.

if this isnt the case, might anyone comment on slotted rotors, and perhaps recommend decent calipers/pads? ive had my sights set on ATE slotted rotors, as opposed to drilled, not sure if this is overkill or not, but id love to have a braking system comparable to my occasional excesses :p

again, apologies if this is a trivial question, but ive searched a fair amount and havent come up with much.

regards,
me

raske9k
24-05-05, 01:12 AM
Hello zweiz, welcome to SC, I really don't think that you need to replace the whole braking system, maybe just pads and rotors and have the brake fluid replaced, I really don't see a need to replace the calipers if they are working ok, unless of course you want to go with big brakes. I've replaced all four rotors w/pads on my car about 6 months ago with grooved and dimpled rotors, which look like drilled rotors but are not drilled all the way through to prevent cracks, check them out here (http://performanceplusbrakes.com/) . Oh and don't forget to post pictures of your car.

zweizweifunf
24-05-05, 03:04 AM
Thanks much for the advice, though it should be noted that i dont necessarily intend on replacing the entire system, just wondering about compatability in case it should come to that. last time i had driven my car (7-8 days ago) the calipers were making direct contact with the rotors. hopefully youre right, i was just being prudent.

pics forthcoming, and any info on trans-model replacement appreciated in advance.

regards,