aero BBS rims [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: aero BBS rims

rickbeau
18th May 2005, 11:05 PM
Hi

I am considering purchasing a 2001 aero with the natty BBS rims. The rims on this vehicle are not dented up but they have a rash all the way around about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide. Does anyone know if this can be repaired and what kind of dough we are talking?

Also one of the rims is missing the central saab badge I guess this is available at the dealer.

Thanks, Rick

bobsaab
19th May 2005, 09:18 AM
RB- there is a place up in Elkridge Md called Ye Olde Wheel Shoppe. Number is 410-796-8400.

I have had some rims done there to take care of rash. They do a good job, runs about $100 per rim - and they will have to keep it for probably a couple of weeks. This cost is only for rims that are not bent.

I say that becasue you might be surprised to find out that they may indeed have a bend that you cannot see by visual inspection. They can put it on a rotating machine with a straight edge and you will see that wheel shimmy like a stripper.

According to a couple of speed shops around here, this is one of the few places on the East Coast that does this sort of thing - so they have a captive market and a huge backlog.

Re the center caps, check the diameter of the existing caps closely . I changed SAAB part number'd rims after 3 yrs to the same part number rims and the center hole had changed in diameter so I could not use my old center caps.

Eric in CT
19th May 2005, 01:34 PM
There's also a company called Transwheel that refinish and straighten wheels. They have several location in the US. Check their website www.transwheel.com (http://www.transwheel.com)

ed1le
20th May 2005, 04:44 PM
Hey fellow Marylanders! I've heard of the place in Elkridge as well. My BBS's have the same problem too, seems our previous owners used the rims as curb feelers! :roll:

rickbeau
21st May 2005, 08:59 AM
First, thanks you guys for the great info, it helped me figure out how much to offer for this vehicle.

Transwheel said they would charge about 400 per for this type of rim (SA60 17x8) with a 125 core charge so that puts it at 275 each. If you want yours reconditioned, they do it for 225 each but what do you drive in the meantime? A rented ford contour? I would rather walk. They have a store in Williamsport, MD

Transwheel did not want to quote me anything without seeing the rims but said in general it is 95 per rim for polish and paint, and 95 per rim for truing. Sounds reasonable.

Saab said they charge (sit down) $648 per rim new.

So the 01 aero 57k miles I was going to buy which the guy had priced over KBB private value potentially has 2 bent rims and definitely has 2 cupped tires. I offered him KBB plus 500 for saab warranty, minus 800 to repair and paint two rims and buy two tires, he balked, I walked.

It is hard to figure out what these vehicles are actually worth. I hope I was not being too cheap but I think it was slightly overpriced.

Thanks again for your help it will come in handy when I actually find one to purchase.