Drinks holder [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Drinks holder

Cmarksmith
22nd November 2002, 07:58 PM
I would like to replace the front ashtray with a drinks holder. Does anyone have any contacts for suppliers?
Regards, Mark

TripsAreF0rKids
22nd November 2002, 11:42 PM
Ebay.com :o

pieceofsaab
25th November 2002, 07:34 PM
in my saab i just stick the cups in the center console or i take a passenger and make him/her hold the cups

Wolverine
12th February 2003, 05:38 PM
I noticed the lack of a cup holder in my 9000 as well. I've taken to putting drinks in my center console as well (which seems to have a very abbreviated cup placement spot on the underside of the console lid, perhaps for back seat passengers -- not sure what that's about.)

It seems a nice product or self-made gadget would be a holder that hooks onto or into the center console such that you have a more reliable support for your beverage.

BillJ
12th February 2003, 05:53 PM
I believe the American Ford Taunus (never seen one myself) has a twin pop-out cup-holder that fits in a standard DIN slot. It seems a popular upgrade for US 9000s to replace the oddments tray. I don't know what model years had this, but I'm told they may be found in scrapyards (you guys call them junkyards?).

Steve Brown
12th February 2003, 06:40 PM
Here in Hong Kong we have legislation which makes it an offence to eat, drink or talk on a hand-held mobile phone whilst driving a motor vehicle. Despite having been ticketed for eating a sandwich whilst driving, I agree with the legislation, it's had a big impact on the numbers of accidents. There should be no need for drinks-holders in a car.
Steve

BillJ
12th February 2003, 08:08 PM
Here in Hong Kong we have legislation which makes it an offence to eat, drink or talk on a hand-held mobile phone whilst driving a motor vehicle.
While there is no specific law against any of those activities in the UK, you would be liable to a charge of "driving without due care and attention" if you were caught doing them, or anything else that is likely to divert your attention from driving.

That doesn't stop people from doing it, though, especially using mobile phones, a habit I find most annoying.

Wolverine
13th February 2003, 06:01 PM
Steve, I agree with you as far as the hand-held phone goes -- there is a dual distraction involved that should be outlawed (both talking AND having one hand off the wheel).

Eating also seems somewhat unnecessary, even if you can do it with one hand.

However, banning a simple cup of joe in your car seems a little draconian. Moreover, keep in mind that a coffee without a cupholder is much more distracting than one with a cupholder. Lets not forget that the Commies run Hong Kong now -- they don't want you to do a lot of things. :wink:

Fight the power!

pieceofsaab
15th February 2003, 12:38 PM
I believe the American Ford Taunus (never seen one myself) has a twin pop-out cup-holder that fits in a standard DIN slot. It seems a popular upgrade for US 9000s to replace the oddments tray. I don't know what model years had this, but I'm told they may be found in scrapyards (you guys call them junkyards?).

I drive an american Ford Taurus sometimes!! There's nothing I can think of that would fit in my saab, it's got a pop out ashtray and the cupholders are unremovable. Maybe the previous generation has something that will work, i know the ford Contour (9000:900::Taurus:Contour) has some sort of pop up cup holder but it's really lame. I had one as a rental car once and i broke the thing :roll:

Wolverine
15th February 2003, 02:01 PM
I was looking at a store last night for cup holder products, and realized that the best bet may simply be to get one of those spill-proof travel mugs, and keep it in the center console when not sipping from it. This seems like it would work pretty well, while the other options there seemed much too cumbersome.

CtrlAltDel
15th February 2003, 06:03 PM
I bet McDonalds wished that having hot drinks in the car was illegal :roll:

Elmo91
16th February 2003, 01:08 AM
Funny :lol: ...Errr, back to the topic.

A year or so back I got something in the mail from SAAB stating that they had center console inserts with two drink holders. You may want to contact your SAAB dealer and ask them about it. Now that you all have reminded me, I think I will do the same. Ill keep you posted on my luck.

Wolverine
16th February 2003, 03:07 AM
That would be perfect -- wonder if that would be on their web page.

Elmo91
7th March 2003, 06:43 PM
Sorry Guys, It turns out that it was not from SAAB afterall.

If anyone finds this please post where you got it.

Rod'899kT
7th March 2003, 07:12 PM
I've installed a cup & coin holder in my 9000 that came out of a Yank tank Ford Mercury. Apparently, the Thunderbird and Taurus had the same in their early '90s models. It's a standard DIN size and fit nicely into the Saab's slots. I've moved the ashtray down and put it in that spot. I bought it from a local wrecker's for C$20. They're commonly offeed on eBay for around US$20 -- too expensive!
Rod.

Friberg
10th March 2003, 06:21 AM
I bought a cup holder with two drink holders that fits in the center console.

For those with the EPC it's got number 47 08 434 and can probably be ordered at your local Saab dealer for less than 10?... :D

Beenerman
2nd April 2003, 10:24 AM
I bought One of those Cup holders that says it fits taurus and saab. As I was putting it in i realived that it was in the way of the stick. I would have to take everything out in the console and rearange it all and rewire. Im thinking I might sell it. How much should i sell it for :-??