Saab to Resurrect C900 Turbo Hatchback ! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab to Resurrect C900 Turbo Hatchback !

SaabKen
6th May 2005, 11:06 AM
My heart palpitated when I saw the headline. So it may still be Saabaru, but let's accept it and move on. Please let it be true !

http://www.autoblog.com/category/saab/

The Saab news is getting better by the month. Saab will replace the slow-selling 9-2X (http://garage.autoblog.com/entry/1234000550040074/) with a hatchback that would be the spiritual successor to the old Saab 900 Turbo. The car will be ready for 2008 and be underpinned by the next Impreza with a look that will be all Saab. AutoExpress (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/56431/900_turbo_set_to_be_reborn.html) also leaks out info about the Saab crossover that appeared to be still-born. We assume that this is the cousin to the Subaru B9 Tribeca that never showed up at auto shows this year. It is due in 2007. Go Saab.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/56431/900_turbo_set_to_be_reborn.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_images/1pix.gif
900 Turbo Set To Be Reborn A spiritual successor to the legendary Saab 900 Turbo is on the way. The car will be a replacement for the 9-2X, the Subaru Impreza-based estate that Saab currently sells in America.

The Swedish firm has told Auto Express the new car will be a hatchback, not a load-lugger, and that it will slot in beneath the 9-3 in the range, taking on rivals such as Audi's A3 and the BMW 1-Series. Set for launch in 2008, it will also form the basis of the next Impreza. That car will mark the arrival of diesel engines for the Japanese firm.

Meanwhile, we've learned Saab is to unveil a new model in 2007, which will compete with the Volvo XC90. Saab GB boss Jonathan Nash said: "We've designed a crossover model that will drive like an ordinary car on the road, but will also be a capable performer in the rough. It will cost between 25,000 and 35,000, and be a cheaper alternative to the Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover Sport."

Fast_Ed
6th May 2005, 04:07 PM
I wonder if, by saying it's not a 'load lugger," that they mean that the car will be and ACTUAL hatchback, not just a euphemized wagon a la 9-3ss hatchback:roll:

I really wanted a car that would be a spiritual successor to the c900, and I ended up buying the Viggen. I am really impressed with how much they kept from the c900 in it, and what was improved. The true hatchback format is versatile while still not looking bulky. Please let this be true!!

TuuSaR
6th May 2005, 04:38 PM
They just want to lure hatch maniacs back to the farm house for some milking.

Fast_Ed
6th May 2005, 04:44 PM
Well, yeah, and milk away! I dont care what their motivation is... If they make a car with the same format as they had in the 80's, I bet they'd catch the attention of some of these Hatch Maniacs you speak. (I'm not addicted, I can drive a car with a regular trunk anytime... I swear)

It's the perfect car for a college kid that has to move to and from school, but doesnt want to drive a dorkey wagon the rest of the semester. She/He'd have a dorkey hatchback instead:D :cool:

Jezzadee
6th May 2005, 04:48 PM
It's not going to have any connection to the C900 except for some intellectualy famished advertising man's utterly lame attempt to scrape a bit of credibility out of Saab's heritage to make up for a total lack of quality ideas. People wouldn't buy it if it looked like one (except a few nutters on here), they wouldn't tolerate a transmission that is so fragile that it requires a bit of skill to keep going, it wouldn't handle like a C900 because suspension standards have changed, it won't carry a load like a C900 (they say so themselves), it won't be totally (and unprofitably) over-engineered, it'll be replacing a car based on a Subaru, so just how the hell do these marketing prats think anyone is going to believe it will be "a spiritual successor to the C900"?

TuuSaR
6th May 2005, 05:05 PM
Anything retro is out of the question because they want to sell it more than a 5 cars.
Something daring like 9X within the limits of how much they can shape Impreza.
Surely nothing like 9-3 SS "mainstream but prettier", it simply has to look different.

I hope that Saab has manpower and money to pull off this sort of model rampage, because its always better to have 1 good than 2 mediocre.

And btw... now when they are doing entire model collection, where's that 2-seater Porsche killer that I always think about when buying lottery tickets :roll:

saab9x
6th May 2005, 05:51 PM
i can't wait to see what the car looks like.

pretty much _anything_ will be an improve-
ment to the current 9-2x's looks.

that it'll be an updated c900 sounds cool to
me.

apzer09
6th May 2005, 06:09 PM
I think it's great that they try to model a car that's pretty symbolic with Saab. Everyone I know who used to own a Saab owned a 900. Now it's only a matter of time before they get them back.

Swade
6th May 2005, 07:35 PM
It's not going to have any connection to the C900 except for some intellectualy famished advertising man's utterly lame attempt to scrape a bit of credibility out of Saab's heritage to make up for a total lack of quality ideas.

That has GOT to be quote of the week. Way to rant, Jezzadee!! :cheesy:

Sheesh, the news that breaks while you're asleep in another time zone!!

SaabKen
6th May 2005, 08:09 PM
You sleep ?

Hornet11586
6th May 2005, 08:10 PM
I love the idea. I never had the chance to get a hatchback 900, so I got the regular american trunk four door, which is still nice.

Now instead of the Sport-Combi I can put my money to this.

Or TuuSar's fabled "Porsche Killer" :cool:

SaabKen
7th May 2005, 01:24 AM
Boy when good news rains it rains hard !

(http://%0Ahttp://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news/news0010.htm)

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news/news0010.htm (http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news/news0010.htm)

Jezzadee
7th May 2005, 03:40 AM
That has GOT to be quote of the week. Way to rant, Jezzadee!! :cheesy:

Oh dear, I was being a bit grumpy last night :cheesy: .

Still reckon it's just a marketing blag though. :confused:

al aero
7th May 2005, 04:00 AM
Whaletails and Airflow kits have to be a option!!!

al ;)

Orca
7th May 2005, 06:33 AM
the new car will ... not a load-lugger

Then it will hardly be the spiritual successor to the C900 then, will it? The beauty of the combi/coupe was just that ... it was a hatch ... and it was a load lugger.

DrSquirley
8th May 2005, 12:45 AM
It's not going to have any connection to the C900 except for some intellectualy famished advertising man's utterly lame attempt to scrape a bit of credibility out of Saab's heritage to make up for a total lack of quality ideas. People wouldn't buy it if it looked like one (except a few nutters on here), they wouldn't tolerate a transmission that is so fragile that it requires a bit of skill to keep going, it wouldn't handle like a C900 because suspension standards have changed, it won't carry a load like a C900 (they say so themselves), it won't be totally (and unprofitably) over-engineered, it'll be replacing a car based on a Subaru, so just how the hell do these marketing prats think anyone is going to believe it will be "a spiritual successor to the C900"?

Right on .

Airflow
8th May 2005, 02:38 PM
Oh dear, I was being a bit grumpy last night :cheesy: .

Still reckon it's just a marketing blag though. :confused:

Good point Jezzadee, the expression "spiritual successor" must be a godsend for marketing people as it can mean anything you want it to. For example you could have said the Ford Probe was spiritual successor to the Ford Capri and look what happened there.. :D

SaabKen
8th May 2005, 04:29 PM
Good point Jezzadee, the expression "spiritual successor" must be a godsend for marketing people as it can mean anything you want it to. For example you could have said the Ford Probe was spiritual successor to the Ford Capri and look what happened there.. :D

Wow, if you go back even more I guess you can trace back to the Ford EXP [brrrrr ...] with its 1.6L four mated to a 3A or 4M box. Yikes !

Jet 9-3
9th May 2005, 10:10 AM
Anything retro is out of the question because they want to sell it more than a 5 cars.

The smashing success of the 300 and Mustang in the U.S. in the last year means that retro can also mean big sales (at least over here)

Jet 9-3
9th May 2005, 10:11 AM
I wonder if, by saying it's not a 'load lugger," that they mean that the car will be and ACTUAL hatchback, not just a euphemized wagon a la 9-3ss hatchback:roll:

Do you mean the upcoming Sport Combi? That has been Wagon all the way. Never purported to be a hatch

woywitka
10th May 2005, 02:58 AM
as jezz pointed out nothing will ever come close to the c900. it had its day and the company moved on. you must not foreget that sales lagged in the last years of the c900 and the move with gm encouraged a new model. and of course if any american car company gets involved- you get garbage, this was proved with teh horrid v-6 engine that was offered among other things! the legend has been killed off and the company has completley changed. if the direction changed and they redeveloped the true c900 again it could be done, it is highly unlikely. remember only some of us are saab nuts (and fewer c900 nuts) on here and we represent a very small portion of the population and market research from saab wouldn't even register us. and at the time of the c900, society was different, and what people wanted from a car was different, the company also has a different market now that they did in the 80's, the average person can't afford the cheapest saab (92-x doesn't count) now. so now we have mainly higher income people who drive them for a short time and flip em over and a few years to move onto someting else. this can be seen by the people who drive enwer saabs. met a guy with an 85' turbo who told me even back when they came out they were viewed as special cars and the few saabs he came across he got "the saab wave".

David Wishart
12th May 2005, 03:55 AM
it could be cool if they do it right. Nothing else they've made in the past 3 years has impressed me though.

Personally I'd rather have a 99 Turbo successor, but I think a few other manufacturers already have that covered.

My ideal specs:
2300-2500lbs
170hp/200 ft/lb torque
5 speed
sloping hatchback or like Mazda3, Alfa 147 - crisp design
front-wheel drive
3 and 5 door
luxury-interior spec available

OPTION
higher-performance 4-wheel-drive option for those that need it.

Raven18940
12th May 2005, 08:48 AM
Mine ideal specs would be the 9-2X with a SAAB HOT 2.3L shoehorned into it, at a slant like on the old C900s. On paper it would look completely inferior to the STi, but in reality.........well ya know. ;)

I think sharing a platform with the Impreza is a good thing cause it'll allow it to share aftermarket parts.

TuuSaR
12th May 2005, 09:12 AM
Sharing a platform alone doesnt guarantee any parts sharing.

cinemarr
16th May 2005, 10:08 PM
pi-hoss.jpg

have you guys seen this saab before?

Swade
16th May 2005, 11:33 PM
Umm. No.

Haven't seen it yet either...