replacing electric aerial [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: replacing electric aerial

swat
20-11-02, 12:05 PM
Ok! Here we go:

We have an Saab 9000S F reg model. The electric aerial that pops out the back got bent over when driving under a tree, and has subsequently sheared off level with the bit at the bottom.

We have obtained the replacement mast and rope bit from saab, and have attempted to remove the bit of remaining mast using pliars - in the process possibly damaging the screw thread on the little cap thing that covers it all up :(

So basically I have two questions -

1. How much will the replacement screw bit cost if it does turn out to be broken ?

2. How do I replace the mast "nicely" i.e. without causing more damage

Thank you very much

Simon

Simon
21-11-02, 06:56 AM
It's the same as a 900 aerial which I have had to replace a couple of times. Not sure this is the right way to do it but......

Make sure all the remants of the previous mast have been removed from the motor. Then preferably with someone elses help turn on the ignition so the motor thinks it is extending the aerial, then push in the plastic tail of the new aerial so it is catching on the teeth of the motor and turn the ignition off so the motor retracts the mast. It worked for me anyway!

Have a look in the Classifieds here for a replacement lock nut there are a few cars being broken. Like I said it is the same as a 900.

Simon.

swat
21-11-02, 11:40 AM
It's the same as a 900 aerial which I have had to replace a couple of times. Not sure this is the right way to do it but......

Thanks for that - Thing I guess it's just a case of taking bits of it to pieces and seeing what i can do... Some places have mentioned leaving the sheath bit on it - but as this has sheared off as well, I guess it'll require more dismantling :(

Simon