Removing headlights? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Removing headlights?

Avantt
5th May 2005, 06:53 PM
any info?
im trying to see what type of bulbs i can replace with the stock ones or if clear corners would be possible. thx

vitch
18th May 2005, 02:47 PM
My son changed out his stock light bulbs on his WRX to the brightest Sylvania's he could find. Cost him $32 each. Said they were easy to do, and lights up the dark like day. I will have him change mine out on my new Aero, that I could not find a 5speed anywhere on the westcoast with the "premium pkgs" leather and Xeons.
vitch

Trinifry
19th May 2005, 09:40 AM
My son changed out his stock light bulbs on his WRX to the brightest Sylvania's he could find. Cost him $32 each. Said they were easy to do, and lights up the dark like day. I will have him change mine out on my new Aero, that I could not find a 5speed anywhere on the westcoast with the "premium pkgs" leather and Xeons.
vitch

I hope the Sylvania's work well for you. I put a set of Sylvania silverstars in my car shortly after purchasing it. They lasted about 2 months :( . Perhaps the previous set was a bad batch. Maybe i'll try them again sometime. When they were working the illumination was significantly brighter than stock.

Does anyone know if the HIDs can be purchased separately from the dealers? I am interested in purchasing the OEM HIDs since they is not available here in Canada.

MikeNeri
19th May 2005, 10:47 AM
I hope the Sylvania's work well for you. I put a set of Sylvania silverstars in my car shortly after purchasing it. They lasted about 2 months :( . Perhaps the previous set was a bad batch. Maybe i'll try them again sometime. When they were working the illumination was significantly brighter than stock.

Does anyone know if the HIDs can be purchased separately from the dealers? I am interested in purchasing the OEM HIDs since they is not available here in Canada.

I'd love to get my hands on a set of OEM xenons, but if I can't, i'll do the next best thing and order a conversion kit. I've already priced it out and for a 4300K or a 6000K Philips kit, it'll run me about $600CAD. Thats not too bad.

Mike

Trinifry
19th May 2005, 10:57 AM
I'd love to get my hands on a set of OEM xenons, but if I can't, i'll do the next best thing and order a conversion kit. I've already priced it out and for a 4300K or a 6000K Philips kit, it'll run me about $600CAD. Thats not too bad.

Mike

I was discussing with one of the parts guys at the dealership about Xenon conversion kits. They actually tried to install one as per customer request. I can't remember the manufacturer of the kit though. It may have been OSRAM. However, the conversion was unsuccessful for some reason other than fitment issues. I believe Xenon conversion kits sometimes give problem with the car's electrical system. Apparently, Subaru at one time offered Xenon's for some of their cars but discontinued the option because of these electrical problems. I know that this explanation seems a bit vague and not backed up but i was just cautioning ppl before they decide to lay down a chunk of cash for something that may not work. With the OEM Xenons you have a bit of assurance that you won't lose your money if something were to go wrong.

MikeNeri
19th May 2005, 02:22 PM
This dealership you spoke to, was it Thornhill SSI?

Because if it was, it was my car that they attempted to install the OSRAM kit on. The reason it didnt work is because they tried to install 9006 bulbs in an H1 headlight. They wanted to drill out my headlight! Bunch of idiots, I tell you! :roll:

I'm not too worried about the electrical system, because the HIDs actually draw less power than standard halogens. Also, this is a car that has HIDs as an option in the US, so I would imagine the wiring/electrical system is capable of handling it.

Mike

Trinifry
19th May 2005, 03:38 PM
This dealership you spoke to, was it Thornhill SSI?

Because if it was, it was my car that they attempted to install the OSRAM kit on. The reason it didnt work is because they tried to install 9006 bulbs in an H1 headlight. They wanted to drill out my headlight! Bunch of idiots, I tell you! :roll:

I'm not too worried about the electrical system, because the HIDs actually draw less power than standard halogens. Also, this is a car that has HIDs as an option in the US, so I would imagine the wiring/electrical system is capable of handling it.

Mike

As you can see, i majorly misinterpretted what that guy was talking about. Mike, so it was your car that they tried to fit the conversion kit. Kinda weird that they would have tried to use a 9006 spec kit for a fitting thats supposed to be H1.

Hmm, perhaps i should stop listening and find the facts out for myself :p .

Well, thanks for the CORRECT information. Lemme know how the install goes with the Phillips kit. I might decide to go that route as well. If you don't mind me asking, where will you be purchasing the kit from?

MikeNeri
19th May 2005, 04:15 PM
http://www.xenondepot.com/index.php

You may want to check out ebay as well. They sell their kits there as well and most of the time they're cheaper than the website.

Mike

Avantt
19th May 2005, 04:21 PM

any advice on changing the bulbs? its cramped in there. i see the passenger side would have to take out the plastic air duct for access, for drivers headlight, did you remove the battery to have more space to access bulbs? did you also change the fog bulbs? TIA

Trinifry
20th May 2005, 09:18 AM
any advice on changing the bulbs? its cramped in there. i see the passenger side would have to take out the plastic air duct for access, for drivers headlight, did you remove the battery to have more space to access bulbs? did you also change the fog bulbs? TIA

To change the passenger side you will have to remove the air duct. A few screws and a slight pull up on the duct and its out. The drivers side is a bit of a PITA though. I did not want to remove the connectors from the battery so i simply loosened the clamps on the battery such that i could shift it slightly giving me enough room to maneuver and replace the bulb.

I have never attempted to replace the fog light bulbs. I would think that it would probably not be too difficult. It should be easily reached as they are located close to the bottom of the bumper. But if you do replace them, i will be interested as well as other ppl on the forum as to how this is done.

rdy4flt
31st May 2005, 03:02 PM
any info?
im trying to see what type of bulbs i can replace with the stock ones or if clear corners would be possible. thx

I bought bulbs from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ they are in the UK and I had bought 2 sets of lights and they threw in a set of side marker bulbs for free. They sell OSRAM silverstars. OSRAM owns Sylvania and I believe the OSRAM silverstars are brighter than the Sylvania's. It's worth looking into. You need to search their site with the size bulb you need not by the car search. Our 9-2x's are not in their database yet.

Rudi

vitch
31st May 2005, 03:24 PM
Rudi, let us all know how they hold up. I'm assuming that the problems we heard with the other Sylvania's could have been human skin touching the bulb while doing the switch. My stock lights don't seem too bad, in fact quite good from the little I've had to drive with them on.

vitch

rdy4flt
31st May 2005, 03:30 PM
Rudi, let us all know how they hold up. I'm assuming that the problems we heard with the other Sylvania's could have been human skin touching the bulb while doing the switch. My stock lights don't seem too bad, in fact quite good from the little I've had to drive with them on.

vitch

I had them installed on my Escape for about 4 months with no problems. They really brought out the reflective properties in street signs and the road markers. Noticable difference even over standard Sylvania Silverstars. I need to order them for my 9-2X.

Rudi

Trinifry
1st June 2005, 09:47 AM

vitch

I was pretty sure that i was careful not to touch the bulb. Anywaz, grease on the bulb will most likely cause the bulb to burst rather than the filament to burn out.

Maybe i'll try the OSRAM silverstars as Rudi mentioned that they were brighter.