Saab 9-3 Aero Launch & the Future of Turbo [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab 9-3 Aero Launch & the Future of Turbo

edusaab
20th April 2005, 04:29 PM
quite interesting information about the Ethanol engine, the new aero and the turo heritage...

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=472&docid=14112

geetings

SaabKen
20th April 2005, 05:08 PM
Great find, Edusaab !

SaabNW
20th April 2005, 06:04 PM
Ummm... Does anyone who has access to that site want to repost the information?

Thanks!

Raven18940
20th April 2005, 06:33 PM
Here's the really important stuff

Six Cylinder Turbo Power gives

Saab 9-3 Aero Class-leading Appeal

Unique offer in segment, more torque than other six cylinder gasolineengines
Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8V6 Turbo fastest-ever Saab
First gasoline V6 designed from start for Saab's turbochargedapplication
Light, compact, all-aluminum construction
Twin-scroll turbocharger for smooth response
Variable cam phasing for improved breathing
Stainless steel exhaust manifolds for lower cold-start emissions
Sinter-forged connecting rods for extra strength
Tuned twin exhaust for sporty engine note

The Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan Aero with its new 2.8V6 Turbo engine is, quite simply, the fastest accelerating car ever to carry the Saab badge. It represents the culmination of almost 30 years' experience from Saab as acknowledged leaders in the art of turbocharging.

For the first time, Saab customers will be able to enjoy the combined benefits of turbocharged power and six cylinder refinement in a purpose-built package. With massive pulling power (350 Nm) spread widely across the engine's speed range, the 250 bhp/184 kW 2.8V6 Turbo generates more torque than any other six cylinder gasoline engine in the Saab 9-3 segment.

Saab Automobile Powertrain's expert knowledge and experience of turbocharging is recognized by its role as a Center of Expertise within General Motors for the development of turbocharged gasoline engines. The Swedish engineers were therefore closely involved during the conceptual design and development of GM's new global V6 engine architecture, ensuring it included the possibility of a turbocharged application.

Sophisticated technology
The 2.8V6 Turbo has a 60º vee-angle between its cylinder banks for perfect balance and combines excellent multi-valve refinement with outstanding performance. The all aluminum construction provides a light and compact architecture, well suited to its transverse, front-wheel-drive installation in the Saab 9-3 Aero.

The cylinder heads, each with double chain-driven overhead camshafts operating four valves per cylinder, are of high specification aluminum and unique to this turbocharged variant. The design ensures enhanced heat resistance under 85 bar cylinder pressures, as well as minimum maintenance costs.

Also unique are pistons with hard anodized ring grooves for durability and under-skirt oil jet cooling, together with steel con-rods that are strengthened by sinter-forging, a process that involves molding metal in a powered form. The exhaust valves are filled with sodium to further enhance cooling. The cylinders have cast iron liners and a bore/stoke of 89.00 / 74.8 mm.

For improved engine breathing, variable cam phasing on the inlet side is electronically controlled and hydraulically actuated, allowing continuously variable adjustment through 50º of crankshaft rotation. On the road, this translates to a more flexible power delivery and better fuel economy under different engine loads.

A die-cast aluminum oil sump is designed to increase structural stiffness and the strong, four-bearing crankshaft is made from micro-alloy forged steel, a specification more commonly seen in competition performance or diesel engines.

The twin-scroll, water-cooled Mitsubishi TDO4-15TK turbocharger, operates at 0.6 bar maximum boost with intercooling and an integral by-pass valve. It is mounted centrally above the transmission and fed by both banks of cylinders. The use of two separate inlet tracts, one for each cylinder bank, separates the exhaust gas pulses, improving gas flow, reducing energy losses and raising turbocharger efficiency. The turbine wheel is made from a special high-grade steel alloy, commonly used in the turbocharged engines of world championship rally cars, which is resistant to erosion, cracking and creeping under high temperatures and centrifugal forces.

Also unique are double-skin exhaust manifolds, which are hydroformed with stainless steel liners to improve cold start emissions by minimizing heat absorption to the manifold. Air injection into each manifold for up to 30 seconds after a cold start also helps the central pre-catalyst, positioned upstream of the main catalytic converter, achieve 'light off', its effective working temperature, as early as possible.

Smart engine management
The 32-bit engine management system, with software calibrated specifically for the Saab 9-3 application, utilizes a torque-based engine control strategy and direct coil-over-plug ignition with a robust engine-mounted control unit. Ignition timing, fuel injection, turbo boost pressure, air mass measurement and the throttle setting are all key engine functions controlled by the software.

The sophisticated control strategy is designed to deliver smooth performance in all driving conditions. The system works with the vehicle’s transmission to modulate torque, providing stirring performance and excellent engine response. The system can also limit torque in low-traction conditions, helping provide confident, sure-footed driving. Variable fuel pressure further contributes to smooth idle and driving characteristics.

For driving comfort, control of the electronic throttle through the movement of the accelerator pedal is programmed to be sensitive to different driving conditions, with greater pedal movement introduced at lower vehicle speeds, such as when maneuvering or parking. At low engine speeds, the engine control system also brings the turbo in quickly by momentarily opening the throttle slightly more than requested by the driver.

On the road the new 9-3 Aero 2.8V6 Turbo packs a formidable punch and the driver will also immediately appreciate the smooth power delivery, like an iron first in a velvet glove. Apart from the boost gauge in the dashboard, the only clue to the presence of a turbocharger is an uncannily effortless rate of acceleration.

Pick-up from tick-over at just 720 rpm is instant, due to the engine's relatively large multi-cylinder capacity. At about 1,000 rpm, the turbo begins to build a massive wall of torque that is already in place by the time the tachometer swings through 2,000 rpm. It endows the 9-3 Aero with a level of performance never before seen in a Saab car.
Maximum torque is generated all the way from 2,000 rpm to 4,500 rpm, with 90 per cent of this value available at an exceptionally low 1,500 rpm. Careful programming of the engine management software means that under a full throttle load, from take-off or low engine speeds, 90 per cent of maximum acceleration is delivered within one second.

The zero to 100 kph dash is accomplished in just 6.9 seconds, but in-gear acceleration provides even more impressive evidence of this engine's outstanding elasticity. In top gear, the transition from 80 to 120 kph can be accomplished in just 8.3 seconds, a figure that places the 9-3 Aero among the very best in its class.

The fun-to-drive nature of this performance is also matched by an exhilarating engine note that can be heard inside and outside the car. This has been achieved by tuning the twin sports exhausts downstream of the main catalyst. It gives the new Saab 9-3 Aero a distinctive aural character in keeping with its position as the sporting flagship of the range.

The engine is offered with a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions. The close-ratio manual gearbox includes duel output shafts to reduce transmission vibration, together with a dual mass flywheel this ensures smooth and refined performance.

The 'smart' Asin AW automatic transmission is adaptive to driver usage patterns and prevailing road conditions. It can sense changes in engine performance, engine load, road gradient and altitude, quickly finding the right gear without an irritating 'hunting'.

For closer driver involvement, Saab Sentronic, a sequential manual gearshift, is also included. When the shift lever is moved across the gate to ‘manual’ Sentronic mode, ‘up’ and ‘down’ changes can be made with full lock-up in 3/4/5 or 6th gears. This process is taken a step further by the option of steering wheel buttons, which bring gear-shifting right to the fingertips of the driver.

Overall, the 2.8V6 Turbo generates class-leading levels of torque with a seamless, turbine-like power delivery. Itcombines the inherent advantages of a six-cylinder engine - refinement and a rapid throttle response - with the effortless, torque-boosting properties of turbocharging.

Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan Aero 2.8V6T:

Technical Specifications and Performance

2,792 cc. V6. Bore 89mm, Stroke 74.8mm
Aluminum cylinder heads and block.
2 x DOHC chain-driven, 24 valves. Variable valve timing (inlet)
Turbocharged, intercooled.
Max boost pressure, 0.6 bar
Compression ratio, 9.5:1
Bosch Motronic engine management.
Direct ignition, multi-point fuel injection, electronic throttle control
Max.power: 250 bhp (184 kW) @ 5,500 rpm
Max torque: 350 Nm @ 2,000 - 4,500 rpm

CO2*
(g/km)

M6 239
A6 252

Performance*

0-100 km/h
(s)

M6 6.9

A6 7.9

80-120 km/h
6th gear (s)

M6 8.3

Top speed

Km/h

M6 250

A6 245

Fuel consumption*

Combined

(l/100 km)

M6 10.0
A6 10.5

M6: Six-speed manual gearbox
A6: Six-speed automatic transmission

* All performance, fuel consumption and CO2 data provisional

CONTACT(S):

Christer Nilsson
Media relations manager, Saab Automobile
Phone 0046-(0)520-854 86
Mobile 0046-(0)70-603 24 12
e-Mail: christer.u.nilsson@se.saab.com

They keep banging on about the refinement of 6 cylinders, but I don't know what's unrefined about my 4 cylinders. I've got loads of torque at 2000 rpms, same as this 6 cylinder. Eh, even if it isn't better, as long as it's just as good it'll be good enough to eat BMWs.

Swade
20th April 2005, 06:46 PM
Here's the really important stuff

I'm glad you limited it to the really important stuff. We might have been here reading for ages!! :cheesy:

Bladey
22nd April 2005, 03:36 AM
lol @ swade

Is it just me or is anyone else feeling that the 250bhp and 0-100km is just a little disapointing when a ppc upgrade in a a 2.0T is about the same?

Raven18940
22nd April 2005, 07:25 AM
Nah, it's more because of traction than any other reason. I'm sure they're up to their old tricks with holding power back in 1st and 2nd gear so you don't spin all your rubber onto the road.

1BadPig
22nd April 2005, 07:52 AM
First gasoline V6 designed from start for Saab's turbochargedapplicationI thought the 2.8 V6 was based on Holden & Cadillac 2.8 V6?

Rob in Atlanta
22nd April 2005, 09:08 AM
I thought the 2.8 V6 was based on Holden & Cadillac 2.8 V6?

You are partly correct. The 2.8 V6 to be used by SAAB is based upon a common architecture shared with Holden, Cadillac and other marques in the GM empire. The basic architecture was developed with the idea that it could be used by multiple marques in various configurations, including forced induction, such as turbo- or supercharging. The engine received inputs from engineers at Cadillac, SAAB, Holden, Opel, and several other groups within GM. From all of the initial reports, the engine is very refined - in the same class as some of the best engines in the world. The test will be whether the engine is durable.

If the engine proves to be a durable, powerful and refined, as expected, this could be a huge boost for SAAB as it competes with other European marques both in Europe and abroad. Some will bemoan the use of a larger, less-efficient engine, however the fuel consumption of the V6 is not that much different than the current Ecotec-derived four. Additionally, the four will continue to remain available for those who want to minimize their fuel usage.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of bringing the GM-FIAT turbo diesel currently available in the 9-3SS to the North American market. I believe that currently the high sulfur content of North American formulated diesel fuel prevents the use of some of the more sophisticated European diesel engines in the North America. The standards for sulfur content in North American formulated diesel is being changed and within a year or two, all North American formulated diesel will be able to be used to in the latest crop of euro-diesels. If the price of gas remains high or rises further, the business case for bringing the diesel to the North American market will be strengthened.

nengland
22nd April 2005, 06:29 PM
You are partly correct. The 2.8 V6 to be used by SAAB is based upon a common architecture shared with Holden, Cadillac and other marques in the GM empire. The basic architecture was developed with the idea that it could be used by multiple marques in various configurations, including forced induction, such as turbo- or supercharging. The engine received inputs from engineers at Cadillac, SAAB, Holden, Opel, and several other groups within GM. From all of the initial reports, the engine is very refined - in the same class as some of the best engines in the world. The test will be whether the engine is durable.

If the engine proves to be a durable, powerful and refined, as expected, this could be a huge boost for SAAB as it competes with other European marques both in Europe and abroad. Some will bemoan the use of a larger, less-efficient engine, however the fuel consumption of the V6 is not that much different than the current Ecotec-derived four. Additionally, the four will continue to remain available for those who want to minimize their fuel usage.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of bringing the GM-FIAT turbo diesel currently available in the 9-3SS to the North American market. I believe that currently the high sulfur content of North American formulated diesel fuel prevents the use of some of the more sophisticated European diesel engines in the North America. The standards for sulfur content in North American formulated diesel is being changed and within a year or two, all North American formulated diesel will be able to be used to in the latest crop of euro-diesels. If the price of gas remains high or rises further, the business case for bringing the diesel to the North American market will be strengthened.

Good. I'm not the only one watching this and holding my breath.

Are GM diesels spectacular by any means?

Raven18940
23rd April 2005, 09:00 AM
Good. I'm not the only one watching this and holding my breath.

Are GM diesels spectacular by any means?
Why are you interested in dies.......oh.....California resident I see. :lol:

TuuSaR
23rd April 2005, 11:35 AM
Saab apparently has small supply problems with 1.9 models, mainly because of particulate filter that they dont get enough. So no diesel to the USA before this problem is solved and of course local fuel has to meet European standards.

PetteriS
29th April 2005, 04:10 AM
I wonder if they are going to make a Hirsch-version out of that engine..

Needs LSD though..

JWLANKY
29th April 2005, 04:37 AM
I wonder if they are going to make a Hirsch-version out of that engine..

Needs LSD though..

The word on the street is a 300bhp stage one from Hirsch is already developed, and a Saab engineer who frequents the forum has intimated that its good for a whole lot more, with great future potential (M3 territory?), but was reluctant give figures.

93Linear
29th April 2005, 10:24 AM
As far as the LSD goes, contact Quaife (www.quaife.co.uk) or Quaife USA. (http://www.quaifeamerica.com) The last I spoke them (was over a year ago, in all honesty) they said they did not have anything developed for our cars but would be judging interest in a new product. They do make products for other/older models. I think if enough of us voice an interest, we could see a version for our cars of one of the finest LSD's made.

JWLANKY
4th May 2005, 01:32 PM
I see that the 2.8V6T engine is going into the new Vectra VXR, they are touting figures of 0-60 in no more than six seconds and a top speed of 160mph+, they both top the Saab:o
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/56401/vectra_vxr_charges_in.html

SaabKen
4th May 2005, 02:14 PM
0-60mph, 1/4-mile times and top speeds are not the end all and be all to win consumer loyalty and media praise (although it helps these days), but driving characteristics, handling dynamics and balance of all of those things do matter. BMWs still seem to reign in that regard. Although in current issue of C&D, the boys from the land of the rising sun totally kicked the boys wearing lederhosens :lol:

Bladey
5th May 2005, 03:23 AM
still think that 250bhp is not enough nowadays from a 2.8 v6 T

The old Audi S4 had a 2.7v6 twin turbo and kicked out nearly 280, and that was years ago. should have 275hp

As much as i'd like to see a 93ss m3... i don't think we will :(

TuuSaR
5th May 2005, 07:34 AM
Tune the damn car and you can have over 350hp.

93Linear
5th May 2005, 12:27 PM

I agree entirely ... rumors abound of a Hirsch, software-only upgrade to 300hp ... factor in that Hirsch is prolly the most cautious of Saab tuners and that no hardware changes are being made, if this is true, 350 should be easily reached. But, just to say it again ... I'm not at all suprised to see the V6T "detuned" to 250HP given Saab's penchant to put safety and reliability far ahead of raw perfomance.

Airflow
8th May 2005, 02:15 PM

Hello all - just thought I'd add my 2p worth if I may. Tuning is all well and good for those who are into modifications, but I think that in order to have mass market appeal, you have to grab people's attention by offering something spectacular out of the box - the BMW M3 and Audi S4 give you 330bhp+ as standard - and that's why so many people aspire to own or drive them, and why in my view they have a halo effect on cars lower in the range - the desirability of a 325i or 330i is enhanced by the fact that there's such a storming car at the very top of the range.

I accept that the M3 and S4 both cost at least 50% more than this new Saab is likely to fetch, but even so, I simply can't get excited about it.

50-70 mph in 8.3 seconds? Even the existing 9-5 Aero does it in 7.3 according to official numbers (and didn't the Top Gear programme do it quite a bit quicker in real life last year?)

So, it's a big yawn from me I'm afraid. Incidentally, Maserati got 320bhp as standard out of a mere 2-litre V6 twin turbo in their Ghibli Cup. That's more like it. :cheesy: