2006 Saab 9-5 in fraganti!!! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 2006 Saab 9-5 in fraganti!!!

edusaab
17-04-05, 02:56 PM
Here there are some pics that seems from the Trollhattan product line and made with a mobile phone...

http://www.bilsport.se/bild_arkiv/81/00000007381.gif

http://img45.echo.cx/img45/224/95bak3te.jpg

http://img45.echo.cx/img45/1227/95fram7yz.jpg

greetings

SaabKen
17-04-05, 03:06 PM
Too bad it's not clear. But I don't see any real differences, other than the BMW-inspired rear lights :o

timmehhhhhh
17-04-05, 03:43 PM
taillights remind me of corolla/new jetta. i hope these are.....wrong..

sethsev7n
17-04-05, 06:01 PM
Look at the way the rear lights are pointing.. they look like they point to the ground on the side shots..nothing really looks lined up. Either way.. I think the front nose might look pretty good.. its pretty hard to tell from these photos.

saabfan
17-04-05, 06:28 PM
Great find, edusaab.

Two comments:

1) Anyone else find it strange that a 9-3 is in front of the 9-5 in the assembly line? Are they even built on the same line, let alone a 9-5 right after a 9-3?
2) If the photos are an accurate representation of the 2006 9-5, it looks like Saab's finally going with their plans to enlarge the grille and incorporate the headlights in it, as we first saw with the 9x concept.

http://www.automobil-magazin.de/fotos/sa9x5.jpg

edusaab
17-04-05, 07:16 PM
Yes, the 9-3 and 9-5 are build on the same line. With the reduction on costs and increase of productivity Saab close one of the lines two lines and use only 1 to produce both models. Saab has the capabilities to produce more than 200000 units, after the 90's investment in the facilities, the most important in the history of Saab, and now we see how they reduce thanks to GM the future production models in the factory, and GM reconginzed that the Trollhattan factory for producing high quality models in Europe is quite better than russelheim.

THe front lights are quite similar to the 9-7x and 9-2x, it is quite curious. Also the rear lights and rear end it is quite similar to the 9-3ss.

It seems that with the continous changes in the Saab head of design, Saab nowadays it is a little lost in his design philosophy and strategy.

greetings

joshd2012
17-04-05, 08:32 PM
Wow. Looks like crap. Thanks GM!

squishmann
17-04-05, 11:01 PM
what's up w/ the ugly rear

looks like the removed the front and rear molding and added a 9-3SS boot.

where can i get an app to be a designer for saab?:cheesy:

why are they trying to copy audi's light pattern?

sethsev7n
18-04-05, 12:01 AM
It seems that with the continous changes in the Saab head of design, Saab nowadays it is a little lost in his design philosophy and strategy.

greetings

I'll second that. The rear does look hideous, and unoriginal.

Btw I will also mention that the back of the 9-5 now is gorgeous, and I can mistake the rear end of the current 9-5 with no other.

Vector-SS
18-04-05, 03:45 AM
seriously....that back looks very hideous...hopefully it will be changed or something
and i really dont remember any camera phone with such bad quality

TuuSaR
18-04-05, 05:23 AM
It's scanned picture also.

Front is what they promised years ago, agressive 9X look. And the rear, well lets hope it's a camo car.

Xyl
18-04-05, 06:28 AM
These pictures are taken with a mobile phone probably inside the factory. They were published last week in a swedish magazine and the pictures you see here are taken with a second mobile phone from the magazine. That's the reason for the bad quality, it was quite poor already in the magazine.

zen
18-04-05, 11:43 AM
Great find, edusaab.
1) Anyone else find it strange that a 9-3 is in front of the 9-5 in the assembly line? Are they even built on the same line, let alone a 9-5 right after a 9-3?

It's common. I have ever witness one of production line in Mercedez Benz plant, that they were manufacturing different model (S/E/C) with different configuration/options in the same line.

IT's one supply chain that really require discrete manufacturing and precision engineering.

Airflow
18-04-05, 12:58 PM
What are you lot on about? I can see the queues forming outside the showrooms already :p

Seriously though, I'd vaguely entertained notions of buying one of the very last of the 9-5s in Aero form in a couple of years and hanging on to it thereafter, but if the final car is as ugly as that, I'll keep the keys to my current one firmly in my pocket.

Let's hope the pictures are of a design study and not a pre-production car (although it may look better in the metal of course - remember the outcry over the new 5 series BMW?). And it's not a very flattering colour either.

JWLANKY
18-04-05, 06:13 PM
Two words: BUTT UGLY.

saabfan
18-04-05, 06:14 PM
Yes, the 9-3 and 9-5 are build on the same line. With the reduction on costs and increase of productivity Saab close one of the lines two lines and use only 1 to produce both models.

It's common. I have ever witness one of production line in Mercedez Benz plant, that they were manufacturing different model (S/E/C) with different configuration/options in the same line.

IT's one supply chain that really require discrete manufacturing and precision engineering.Thanks for the information, guys. I was under the (false) impression that the new plant was only for the 9-3 and not both models. I still don't quite grasp how it's more efficient to build two or more entirely different models simultaneously on the same line... seems like it'd be easier to do say a day of 9-3s and then a day of 9-5s and not switch off every vehicle... but what do I know? (Obviously nothing.)

In terms of looks, I'm going to hold off judgment until I see some official press shots. I am entirely happy that Saab is finally doing something significant to the 9-5 line. I hope that the interior is a step-up. Who knows, if Saab gets its act together and the '06 9-5 is a real improvement it might replace our '03 9-3 in a few months. It'd be tragic if we dropped down to a one-Saab family.

apzer09
18-04-05, 06:38 PM
I don't necessarily think this is the real thing, considering they didn't even change the wheels from the current Aero model. The front is definetely changed, but the back is nearly untouched. I thought Saab said only the doors would be carried over. Or maybe they just altered each panel enough so they could say they were new so they could waste money on minor changes.:roll: We should wait to dismiss the 06 9-5 until we can see the interior. IMHO, that's what needed the most work, as you can really see its age there.

saabfan
18-04-05, 06:44 PM
I don't necessarily think this is the real thing, considering they didn't even change the wheels from the current Aero model. The front is definetely changed, but the back is nearly untouched.Nearly untouched?! I think it has been touched... quite a lot, actually. :D

And I thought about the wheel thing and figured that Saab didn't have the '06 rims ready yet so they used '05 rims for the early test models. Just a guess.

apzer09
18-04-05, 07:12 PM
Nearly untouched?! I think it has been touched... quite a lot, actually. :D

And I thought about the wheel thing and figured that Saab didn't have the '06 rims ready yet so they used '05 rims for the early test models. Just a guess.
Guess the pictures are REALLY fuzzy!!! You're probably right about the rims, but it still looks too much like the current model from what we can tell. Saab, we need official pictures!

squishmann
18-04-05, 11:55 PM
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2005/Audi/100522051/20023664-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2005/Audi/100522051/20023663-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Audi/100003613/000452-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Audi/100003613/000398-E.jpg

Saab is basically trying to do what Audi did with the A4, same car just new face. the only problem is is that they can't copy their taillights.

Fla2Cali
21-04-05, 01:39 AM
I actually like what I see so far... its only going to look like this for 2-3 years then the All New 9-5 will debut. :)

Architosh
30-04-05, 11:58 PM
Great find, edusaab.

Two comments:

2) If the photos are an accurate representation of the 2006 9-5, it looks like Saab's finally going with their plans to enlarge the grille and incorporate the headlights in it, as we first saw with the 9x concept.

http://www.automobil-magazin.de/fotos/sa9x5.jpg

God I love this concept car! This is what I want to save up for next. Aeronautical inspired wrap-around windscreen just screems "cool" and the front grille with intergrated lights is brilliant. Don't you just hate those new over-sized hooknose like fronts coming out on Audis, VWs, etc etc??

Hope this comes with a 250hp v6 turbo or more that still gets about 30mpg on the highway. Dream come true for my commute.

saab9x
03-05-05, 01:55 PM
God I love this concept car! This is what I want to save up for next. Aeronautical inspired wrap-around windscreen just screems "cool" and the front grille with intergrated lights is brilliant. Don't you just hate those new over-sized hooknose like fronts coming out on Audis, VWs, etc etc??

Hope this comes with a 250hp v6 turbo or more that still gets about 30mpg on the highway. Dream come true for my commute.

i think it's the best looking saab; even though it's unofficial.

anyway, gm gave the design to the chevy nomad, so
it's unlikely that the 9x will ever be on a sales floor.

http://www.gmcanada.com/static/english/gminnovation/ca/nomad_main_bg.jpg

(...sorry to hijack the thread.)

cyboexpo2002
03-05-05, 02:00 PM
i think it's the best looking saab; even though it's unofficial.

anyway, gm gave the design to the chevy nomad, so
it's unlikely that the 9x will ever be on a sales floor.

(...sorry to hijack the thread.)

Yes BUT the Nomad was cancelled so this might actually be feasible still...

Fla2Cali
05-05-05, 02:34 AM
The Chevy Nomad and SAAB 9X have nothing to do with each other. The Chevy Nomad concept is RWD Kappa based while the the 9X is FWD. If SAAB makes a model off of the Kappa platform it will most likely be a model from the past that holds some heritage...Sonnet, Viggen, etc. The 9X concept was made as a preview of the current 9-3SS I wouldn't look too much into it, besides that it previews certain other SAAB styling cues (ex. Headlight/Grill design).

Has there been any more 9-5 spy pics? I can't wait to see it in full. I hope this facelift helps in sales and gets a SAAB a little attention..

saab9x
05-05-05, 03:12 PM
the the 9X is FWD.

i thought the "x" stands for "all wheel drive."

saabfan
05-05-05, 03:14 PM
i thought the "x" stands for "all wheel drive."You thought correctly.

TuuSaR
05-05-05, 04:00 PM
"The Chevy Nomad and SAAB 9X have nothing to do with each other"

Same design crew.

"9X is FWD"

four-wheel-drive

"The 9X concept was made as a preview"

Full production model that got axed when its was nearly 100% ready.

I hope you confused 9X and 9-3X.

edusaab
05-05-05, 07:03 PM
The 9x and the 9-3x have a 80% of his parts ready for mass production. The 9x was developed on a new aluminium platform developed by Saab and the 9-3x that also uses AWD was developed on the Epsilon platform by the SACC(Saab Advanced Concept Center).

The Saturn Curve was developed by the Saab Advanced Design Center in Sweden led by Mauer and Anthony Lo in that time.

The Nomad hasn't any relationship with the 9x, it uses the kappa platform from GM.
greetings

Fla2Cali
06-05-05, 02:00 AM
Yeah the 9X was AWD but its FWD biased..

Back to the 9-5 though, is there any new pics?

TuuSaR
06-05-05, 03:06 AM
Yeh, Nomad was designed mainly in the UK, not Sweden, too many concepts, too many...