Noooooo !!!!!!! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Noooooo !!!!!!!

SaabKen
12th April 2005, 12:35 PM
Someone please hold me, I think I'm gonna pass out ....... :o:nono;:evil::evil::evil:

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?threadid=13402

Raven18940
12th April 2005, 01:09 PM
but......we're ashamed to be part of GM :cry:

axe
12th April 2005, 01:21 PM
Oh great! :o :roll:

Next up, neon billboards! "Hey, I'm not Swedish!"

SaabKen
12th April 2005, 02:41 PM
I was also hoping this is another April Fool's joke kind of thing. But it's not looking good so far.

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000153039893/

epup
12th April 2005, 03:11 PM
Hi,

I haven't posted in a really looooong time but this news is so distressing that I have to say something. Apparently this badging thing is true. Check out: http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=13919.

I'm seriously considering dumping my 9-3 now because this looks like the beginning of the end....

Raven18940
12th April 2005, 03:26 PM
I'm seriously considering dumping my 9-3 now because this looks like the beginning of the end....
No, if anything you should baby your 9-3. Cherish what time you have left with and save your money because if you want to drive another european luxury car when it dies you're gonna be looking at BMW or Audi. :cry:

TuuSaR
12th April 2005, 03:31 PM
"vehicles produced and sold in North America"

Saab 9-3 and 9-5 are not made in the USA.

Also Opel is left out of this it seems.

TuuSaR
12th April 2005, 03:31 PM
"vehicles produced and sold in North America"

Saab 9-3 and 9-5 are not made in the USA.

Also Opel is left out of this it seems.

s900snt
12th April 2005, 03:33 PM
The begining of the end for me was seeing GM stamped on the brake caliper of my mom's 1999 9-5 SE. Seeing the once-unique saab waffle shapped AC vents on a cadilac at the autoshow was a strong reminder than the end was near. The absolute end of the road for me was the 9-2x.

I will always have a place in my garage for classic 900s and 9000's but I just don't care about new SAABs any more. To be honest with you, I don't even know what the 9-7x looks like. I simply could care less what happens to saab at this point, its over. It's not what it used to be. I'm so sick of "platform" designed cars and multiple branding of identical products.

sethsev7n
12th April 2005, 04:09 PM
noooo !!! no no no no no !!! **sob** :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:

When it comes time for a new car id really want to buy a Saab but I think im going to have to look at volvos or audis.. im sick of GM.. auugh i hate seeing those letters together. :(

SaabKen
12th April 2005, 04:24 PM
9-7X will be have the GM badge .... but then again that's the truth so who cares, right ?

It's no longer General Motors' Saabs we have now, but permanently Genetically Mutated Saabs

edusaab
12th April 2005, 05:45 PM
This is like the way of Unilever, Henkel and other conglomerate companies with a lot of brands, that try to identify his products to the "Holding" and make and indentification of the values of the brand to all the products that some of them hasn't enoough brand image, but if back of them are a big company the customer has more trust in it.

The problem is, that GM needs first to change his brands image and make it less identified in "reduction of costs", bad interiors, poor quality etc etc...

this can work in products like commodities or some products that are more related to volume, but in product like car, that the Brand is more identified by the customer in his "feelings", "philosophy", "way of life", "thinks" and so it is a very dangerous solution if you cannot control and make some limits to avoid a reduction of the brand image of the products that is "eated/canibalized" by the holding brand, the product can loose his uniques and the conection with the customer and that willnot recieve and detect the added value of this product respect another products of the same holding.

In few words......if Saabs have those badges, why I will buy a Saab if that product has the same badge and comes from the same companie as a Buick, Opel, Cadillac or others cars....Why I will buy an 9-3 if for less money I has a Vectra??

in some markets like here in Spain, many people have the idea during years that a Saab is a simply "Tuned" Opel, do you imagine what will arrive this idea if you put in those two models the same Badge???

VW and Audi make that?? imagine if they do that......

GM hangs corporate badge on North American vehicles

DETROIT -- General Motors is putting its corporate logo on the exterior of nearly all the cars and trucks it sells in North America.

The change begins this week with Pontiac G6 cars leaving the factory, a GM spokeswoman said, and will be added to other vehicles when they are redesigned or when time permits tooling changes.

Under that time schedule, it could be some time before the GM badge appears on Saab vehicles. The next new Saab product, the 9-7x SUV, won't have the GM badge when it arrives in showrooms late this summer.

GM says the move is an effort to get consumers to draw a stronger connection between the automaker and its brands. "Seeing that GM badge on vehicles evokes our heritage of leadership," said Mark LaNeve, group vice president for vehicle sales, service and marketing for GNorth America.

The effort begins with Pontiac G6 cars that are leaving the factory this week, a GM spokeswoman said.

Many 2006 models will have a silver GM badge placed on both sides of the vehicle, somewhere between the front and rear wheels and below the beltline. On cars, the badge measures about 1-inch square. On trucks and SUVs, beginning with the redesigned full-sized SUVs to be introduced early next year, the badge measures about 1.2 inches square.

EV1 wore the GM badge

This is not the first time the GM badge has been used on a vehicle exterior. The EV1 electric vehicle wore a GM badge on its nose, even though leases were handled by Saturn dealers. The EV1 was leased from 1996 through 2001.

The GM logo was affixed to many of the automakers vehicles in the 1960s and '70s, although it wasn't always easy to see.

Many of the automaker's concept vehicles in those decades included a GM Styling badge that included the logo, the spokeswoman said.

Better known, though, was GM's "Mark of Excellence" advertising theme. As part of that, the familiar GM logo with blue background was placed on the back edge of the driver's door or on the door jamb.

Also during that time, the logo was put on the door sill plates above the rocker panels, along with division logos. But not every GM division did that, the spokeswoman said.

GM has not decided whether to put logo into vehicle interiors, the spokeswoman said. Nor had it decided if it will use the exterior badge strategy globally

apzer09
12th April 2005, 06:08 PM
GM still thinks its name carries something, and it does for certain people. For others, the reason they bought a Saturn or a Saab was because not many people would know it's a crappy GM. I think GM itself should realize this, that there is still a bad stigma with American-brand cars, and if it wants to associate themselves with that, I don't know what the **** they're doing.:roll:

ApolloBoy
13th April 2005, 03:02 AM
GM shoots itself in the foot yet again... :roll:

belfastcarlsson
13th April 2005, 08:09 AM
OK, so for once GM is trying to set a trend rather than follow it.............only problem is I dont think Ford will be rebadging Jaguar, Range Rover, Aston Martin or Volvo!!!! Nor will VW be rebadging Audi or Bugatti!!

Unbelievable, but not surprising - role on the sale of Saab to someone who 'understands' about the brand and the loyalty of the owners. Without this, Saab is truly doomed to be a vectra based clotheshorse.
:nono;

93Linear
13th April 2005, 11:36 AM
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

lol ... really ... after all the hard times that Saab has come through (and starting to show more viability of surviving with new models, platforms, engines, etc.), are we really gonna declare the end over something that 5 minutes, a piece of dental floss, and some Goo Gone will permantly fix????? :roll:

epup
13th April 2005, 01:18 PM
I think my biggest concern is the effect this badging may have on sales. Hopefully the statement about the badge being placed only on vehicles built in the US holds true. But let's assume that GM will badge all their cars. Saab is still struggling to sell their cars in this competitive market. Think of what a GM badge will do to sales. Saab has been trying to market itself as a premium European brand but slapping it with a GM badge totally sends out the wrong message. This will drive away new customers who are looking for a premium European car. Yes, dental floss and Goo Gone might fix this problem (assuming that it's not going to take away the paint underneath the badge as well.... or is there even paint underneath? :o ) but who wants to go through that trouble when there is an Audi or Volvo waiting for them in the next dealership?

squishmann
13th April 2005, 02:11 PM
I think my biggest concern is the effect this badging may have on sales. Hopefully the statement about the badge being placed only on vehicles built in the US holds true. But let's assume that GM will badge all their cars. Saab is still struggling to sell their cars in this competitive market. Think of what a GM badge will do to sales. Saab has been trying to market itself as a premium European brand but slapping it with a GM badge totally sends out the wrong message. This will drive away new customers who are looking for a premium European car. Yes, dental floss and Goo Gone might fix this problem (assuming that it's not going to take away the paint underneath the badge as well.... or is there even paint underneath? :o ) but who wants to go through that trouble when there is an Audi or Volvo waiting for them in the next dealership?

exactlly.

I don't care about platform and engine sharing, it's just metal underneath. but don't go pissing on the cars. why can't they just let saab be on their own. people don't want to see GM plastered all over their $40,000 car! Stop it.

CleveSaab
13th April 2005, 02:39 PM
The article I read both on Autonews.com and in the local paper BOTH said "All cars except Saab will get these GM badges".... and the article posted above even says the 9-7 won't.
Relax!

SaabKen
13th April 2005, 02:42 PM
Exactly, and those next-door Audis and Volvos sure don't have VW badge nor the Blue Oval on them :nono;

epup
13th April 2005, 03:30 PM
The article I read both on Autonews.com and in the local paper BOTH said "All cars except Saab will get these GM badges".... and the article posted above even says the 9-7 won't.
Relax!

Hmm I don't know about that... Autonews said this: "The change begins this week with Pontiac G6 cars leaving the factory, a GM spokeswoman said, and will be added to other vehicles when they are redesigned or when time permits tooling changes. Under that time schedule, it could be some time before the GM badge appears on Saab vehicles. The next new Saab product, the 9-7x SUV, won't have the GM badge when it arrives in showrooms late this summer." Seems like Saabs will eventually get the badge... Full article below:

GM hangs corporate badge on North American vehicles

By Dale Jewett
Automotive News / April 12, 2005

DETROIT -- General Motors is putting its corporate logo on the exterior of nearly all the cars and trucks it sells in North America.

The change begins this week with Pontiac G6 cars leaving the factory, a GM spokeswoman said, and will be added to other vehicles when they are redesigned or when time permits tooling changes.

Under that time schedule, it could be some time before the GM badge appears on Saab vehicles. The next new Saab product, the 9-7x SUV, won't have the GM badge when it arrives in showrooms late this summer.

GM says the move is an effort to get consumers to draw a stronger connection between the automaker and its brands. "Seeing that GM badge on vehicles evokes our heritage of leadership," said Mark LaNeve, group vice president for vehicle sales, service and marketing for GNorth America.

The effort begins with Pontiac G6 cars that are leaving the factory this week, a GM spokeswoman said.

Many 2006 models will have a silver GM badge placed on both sides of the vehicle, somewhere between the front and rear wheels and below the beltline. On cars, the badge measures about 1-inch square. On trucks and SUVs, beginning with the redesigned full-sized SUVs to be introduced early next year, the badge measures about 1.2 inches square.

EV1 wore the GM badge

This is not the first time the GM badge has been used on a vehicle exterior. The EV1 electric vehicle wore a GM badge on its nose, even though leases were handled by Saturn dealers. The EV1 was leased from 1996 through 2001.

The GM logo was affixed to many of the automakers vehicles in the 1960s and '70s, although it wasn't always easy to see.

Many of the automaker's concept vehicles in those decades included a GM Styling badge that included the logo, the spokeswoman said.

Better known, though, was GM's "Mark of Excellence" advertising theme. As part of that, the familiar GM logo with blue background was placed on the back edge of the driver's door or on the door jamb.

Also during that time, the logo was put on the door sill plates above the rocker panels, along with division logos. But not every GM division did that, the spokeswoman said.

GM has not decided whether to put logo into vehicle interiors, the spokeswoman said. Nor had it decided if it will use the exterior badge strategy globally.

8valvegrowl
13th April 2005, 07:24 PM
If it takes time before the Saabs get it, then relax....GM is like a child with A.D.D...it gets an idea, and then a year later goes and does something else....this is just a dumb marketing ploy that too many people will dislike and GM will have to backpedal AGAIN because of it.

And if some Saabs do get the badges put on them down the road....big deal...get out the hairdryer and a razor blade. Two minutes later it will look the way it should....completely disassociated from the General.

Saab=Unique
14th April 2005, 03:46 PM
well i for one immediately started thinking "how can i pop that off?" dont know about the rest of you

escalator guru
14th April 2005, 04:41 PM
As long as they aren't coming around and sticking the badges on our cars at night, I don't care. Calling it a Saab is basically false advertising anyway, why not call it a Buab? Sadillac? I quite like the sound of that one...

cpenning623
15th April 2005, 10:20 AM
it takes five minutes to debadge a car anyway ...relax