Saab and Apple.... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab and Apple....

edusaab
4th April 2005, 06:37 PM
very interesting article.....

http://www.architosh.com/news/2004-06/2004c-0610-saab.phtml

I edit the second part, that it seems is a hoax, I am sorry. I think that this message with this good article must remain as a reminder and a good view of Saab and his culture.

greetings

SaabKen
4th April 2005, 07:45 PM
Interesting, if it pans out, Saab could offer a real iDrive that people (and BMW'ers) want to use :cool:

but also there are some news......it is anounced that Saab and apple are developing new navigation systems and entertaiment systems for the future Saabs.

DETROIT, MI - Saab Cars USA announces a licensing deal with Apple Computer, Inc of Cupertino CA and joint testing with the US Deptartment of Transportation. Saab will revolutionize the way in which cars are driven by applying human user interface tools developed by Apple Computer. Initial prototypes are in testing in the US under the supervision of the US DOT.

"Our qualitative data indicates this may be a safer way to drive." says Miller Frank, Director of Navigational Technologies at the US Department of Transportation. Tests have been run using 4 different Saab models at their facility in Tyson's Corner, VA.

"We're looking forward to another Saab first in the car industry," says Jay Spenchain, General Manager of Saab Cars USA, "And anyone with any knowledge of Saab knows that Saab is THE leader when it comes to incorporating safety, performance, design, and efficiency into each of our models."

"Saab owners are like Mac owners," Steve Jobs was quoted in a written statement. "They are independent, smart, and open-minded about new technology."

Saab expects DOT approval in late 2005 which would allow the new interface to be offered as an option in 2007 models. Saab Cars USA, is the importer and distributor of the new Saab 9-7X, 9-2X, 9-3 and 9-5 automobiles, parts and accessories.

TuuSaR
4th April 2005, 08:37 PM
I considered that s...net.com navigation thing as a April's trick. But wait and see, screw loose Scott gets press information sometimes earlier than public.(and he has sometimes deleted my mgs because I posted information before him :cheesy:

GRIPEN
4th April 2005, 09:46 PM
Maybe Apple Computer will be the future investor for Saab.

Raven18940
4th April 2005, 10:07 PM
Interesting, if it pans out, Saab could offer a real iDrive that people (and BMW'ers) want to use :cool:
I don't want an iDrive, I want buttons! :evil:

saabfan
4th April 2005, 10:48 PM
This is the best news out of Saab in a long time. For a change I'm not shaking my head! :D :D

I considered that s...net.com navigation thing as a April's trick. But wait and see, screw loose Scott gets press information sometimes earlier than public.(and he has sometimes deleted my mgs because I posted information before him :cheesy:That is too funny (or sad)!

Thank heavens for the modern era and Saab Central. ;)

Swade
5th April 2005, 01:35 AM
That article on Saab and Apple (Edu's first link) is a fantastic read. I hadn't really thought about the similarities before, but I am drawn to Apple in a similar way (though I'm PC based at the moment). Very Interesting Read.

re: the Apple/Saab nav system. I've tried but haven't been able to find anything at all about it and I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'm just going to go with it from an unlinked source the way TSN published it. May be true and I'm sure it'd be an interesting innovation, but I'll wait for something from somewhere else.

edusaab
5th April 2005, 07:45 AM
Take a look at the Saab 9x prototipe and interior......there is a system like the 9x but more functional and easy to use, some of that tech is used in the 9-3ss as Infotaiment. Also the system was conected to trollhattan and if you like you can make some mods to the gearbox or ECU for some situations.

greetings

TuuSaR
9th April 2005, 06:12 AM
That apple nav was April 1. hoax as I suspected.
But apparently that was not the main reason for it but its just part of this saab-site war as he tries to undermine others by seeing if some of his enemies would copy that news.

For the credibility of Sa***et, we suggest that this posting gets removed from the site

Sincerely,

Jan-Willem Vester
Manager, Saab USA Communications

saabfan
9th April 2005, 12:07 PM
That apple nav was April 1. hoax as I suspected.Well I fell for it even though there wasn't a referring link for the news article. And since it was posted here on the 4th I wasn't thinking April Fool's.

Too bad for Saab... they need some good news right about now with terrible sales of the 9-5.

Architosh
1st May 2005, 04:20 PM

but also there are some news......it is anounced that Saab and apple are developing new navigation systems and entertaiment systems for the future Saabs. [/i]

Thanks! I wrote that article. I'm the owner/publisher and editor-in-chief of Architosh.com, an online pup devoted to the professional Macintosh CAD (computer-aided design) and 3D visualization markets.

Apple and SAAB have much in common as brands and corporate stories. Both were/are innovators ahead of their respective classes. Both have metaphorical influences on the overall design theory behind their products. Both eschew mediocrity and popular taste and popular expectation. And both are "design-centric" corporate cultures.

The article talks about Apple stealing a page or two from GM/SAAB's playbook in order to grow market share. That's another thing: both need to grow market share -- not to survive, but to please shareholders and to offer better economies of scale to their respective user bases.

I'm new to SAAB cars as an owner but I've followed them closely for years. Driving one has increased my sense and understanding of what is special about both SAAB and Apple products.

ps: the Apple-SAAB announcement is a hoax as far as I am concerned. I'd prefer to keep my many simple to find buttons to a GUI on my SAAB anyway.