came back from vacation and........... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: came back from vacation and...........

larmstrong
1st April 2005, 06:14 PM
Well I just got back from NC (i live in NJ) and I had to take the good old 1990 9000s in for inspection.

Problem 1. NO Brake lights.
power at the switch, switch is good. all fuses and bulbs are good. no power at the connectors in the back. where did i lose power from the switch to the bulbs?

Problem 2. Cooling fan. fan works i jumped it. and the high switch works because if I let the temp get into the red the fan turns on. So I need a fix for why my normal fan speed is not turning on. Please let me know what causes this.

Thanks

midway
1st April 2005, 11:40 PM
I had a similar problem last summer. If the tail lights work but you are not getting brakelights it is the switch. There are 2 brake light switches, one on the pedal and one behind the dash. My mechanic replaced mine in an hour or so. Replacement part cost $15.00

If you are getting no lights at all you have a short

Aussie9000cse94
2nd April 2005, 05:40 AM
If you had a short you would be blowing fuses for sure.
It is more likely you have an open circuit. Use a circuit diagram and trace wires to the lights. You will need a test light.

Low speed fan not working can be caused by faulty low speed cooling fan relay.
This is in the engine compartment relay box. The system has a hi and low speed relay. Here is a link that shows them, http://quasimotors.com/cooling_fan_relays.htm but, the actual picture is wrong as it shows the relays positions swapped around. The high speed relay is the white on on le left.

Take out the low speed relay and have it tested. Put 12v across terminals 85 & 86 the realy should then click. Test continuity across terminals 30 & 87.

Here is a link if you want to know more about relays. http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Oh, also check out if you fan resistors are OK.
Do a seach in this forun and lots of info will come up.

Cheers.

larmstrong
2nd April 2005, 07:35 AM
thanks for the help, did lots of reading before posting.
Just couldn't find exact info. lots of close stuff but nothing that could confirm my problem.

what does the switch look like behind the dash? and where is it? I did not know about this one.

I will test the relay today. from my reading i thought if the low speed fan did not work it was the resistor (this is why i asked because I was not sure). Test the relay wont be that big a deal.

any one have the wire diagram for the brake lights? thanks

larmstrong
2nd April 2005, 11:26 AM
Well my brake light problem is fixed(still waiting for the part) it was the switch after all. It was sticking some times and sometimes not.

really raining out there so dont know if I will get to the fan today.

one more question. My parking brake is very weak. can you tighten the cable on this car? and if so is the cable only on one side in the rear or do you have to tighten both sides? thanks