Saab RWD [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab RWD

white93cse
28th March 2005, 04:47 PM
Why is it Saab has never made a RWD vehicle? Has anyone ever done a RWD or Mid-engine conversion on their saab?

Raven18940
28th March 2005, 05:08 PM
Saab hasn't had a RWD car because they believed FWD was better. Of course this was when they had 2-stroke engines. Now with 256lb-ft of torque it's not seeming like the greatest idea for performance. But for safety it's still great. Take today for example, it was raining and it was also the day I got my driving itch (might have had something to do with the initial soundtrack I just got). Anyway, I was able to use all the power I wanted, with no danger of losing control. Really not such a bad idea after all.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
28th March 2005, 05:35 PM
All Saabs are rear wheel drive when driving in reverse.

I'll get my coat. :D

900t
28th March 2005, 05:43 PM
RWD is a superior format for driving when you know what you are doing. However, FWD has a lot of weight bias over the front wheels. Which is good on snow/ice (better traction) and is also good for people who aren't very skilled with driving, since the car will understeer - when the car understeers, you take your foot off the gas and it goes back into line. With RWD it requires much more skill - however the manoever can be done much faster and fun!

There are a couple RWD/mid-engined Saab 900's around. I know of three, all Combi Coupes - one a red one with a Saab 16vT in the trunk that was in Car & Driver a while back, a white drag car w/16vT that was on Saabnet and a black drag-car with a BBC inside.

CleveSaab
28th March 2005, 06:13 PM
Why is it Saab has never made a RWD vehicle? Has anyone ever done a RWD or Mid-engine conversion on their saab?

Saw one at SOC, Hershey.
The pictures aren't on this site anymore. *ahem* Seems only the UK events are shown in the gallery now. Shame shame.
Anyway, someone did, indeed, do a RWD conversion on his Saab. Not only that, he put a Mustang engine in it. 'Twas a blue C900. Maybe someone else has a pic.

s900snt
28th March 2005, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=900t]RWD is a superior format for driving when you know what you are doing. However, FWD has a lot of weight bias over the front wheels. Which is good on snow/ice (better traction) and is also good for people who aren't very skilled with driving, since the car will understeer - when the car understeers, you take your foot off the gas and it goes back into line. With RWD it requires much more skill - however the manoever can be done much faster and fun!

QUOTE]

The typical front wheel drive car sucks. The C900 is the most balanced feeling front wheel drive car I have driven. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than my Mom's 9-5 2.3

Having the cylinder block on the C900 at a 45 degree angle lowers the center of gravity, big time. And makes a big difference in balance. The way the gearbox is mounted in the center underneath the engine helps too.

As far as I know, no other car is like this.

benji9k
28th March 2005, 10:28 PM
All Saabs are rear wheel drive when driving in reverse.

I'll get my coat. :D

Don't forget rear-wheel steering too!

And I'll join you outside of this topic. :cheesy:

evanXspg
29th March 2005, 01:35 AM
Not only that, he put a Mustang engine in it. 'Twas a blue C900.

:throws up on key board::nono;

;) depending on the mustang engine.

OddyseusDSM
29th March 2005, 01:54 AM
sorry but, 350 LT5 and a SAAB 9-5 and I'll love them forever

and I dont think it'd look outta place

white93cse
29th March 2005, 05:05 AM
Hmmmn, I'd really love to see some pictures and or videos of these RWD Saabs.