An introduction... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: An introduction...

santeria600
2nd November 2002, 12:04 PM
Hi all,
as I just purchased a '86(C) 9000t16 I thought i'd introduce myself. As you can see from my signature this is my first 9000 but not my first Saab. First impressions are of a nice, fast and comfortable car with all the usual Saab refinements (even though some things need fixing - isnt it always the way?!)

I trust I shall be able to rely on you good people for advice etc. as I start 'refining' the car gradually. I look forward to being a part of what seems to be a busy forum!

John.

Simon
2nd November 2002, 12:20 PM
Hi John,

Gave up on trying to get a 900T16S? Glad you sold the 99GL o.k. where did you get the 9000 from? Is it a 2.0 or 2.3?

Simon.

santeria600
2nd November 2002, 01:40 PM
Hi Simon,
my 99 goes next Weds so it was a case of finding something ASAP and the 9000 had a turbo so there you go. Its only a 2.0 but as my new flat fell through (costing me £lots) my budget shrank overnight. Good news is that the 99 is going to a member of the 'significant other' Saab BB who owns a couple of Saabs already. Dont think I could have sold it to just anybody!! :wink:

Now I gotta work out what mod's I can do/afford until I move 'up' to a 900AERO next year.
:cheesy:

Regards, John.

BillJ
2nd November 2002, 02:50 PM
Now I gotta work out what mod's I can do/afford until I move 'up' to a 900AERO next year.

Move down, surely? :cheesy:
Oops, I'm gonna get flamed again :oops:. Let's keep it in the 9000 forum so 900 owners won't see it ... :wink:

Affordable mods? Here's a tip I picked up the day I took the group photos of my three 9000s in my employer's car park. I got speaking to the security bloke, who asked if I collected 9000s. I hadn't thought of it that way, but had to admit I did, sort of :oops:
Anyway, he told me he'd had three 9000s himself over the years and loved them. When I told him one of mine was pretty quick, he dropped this gem of a tip:

You know that thing on top of the radiator with three hoses on it? It's called the "clapper valve" (?). One of the hoses goes down to the turbo. If you take that hose off, then you get loads of boost and it really flies. You have to watch out for the safety cutout, though.

And here's me having spent a grand on making my Aero go fast when all I had to do was take a hose off! I could have kicked myself :roll: :wink:

And anyone heard it called a "clapper valve" before? He sounded like a bit of a Northern chappie (I thought he was going to finish with "och, aye, the noo"), so perhaps it's a common term up there?

Oh, and finally, I remember Leon (Murphwiz) telling me one day that some of the earlier 9000s had a bit more boost than subsequent ones, and I think he was talking about '86-ish. Leon, you reading this?

Oh, yes. Welcome to the forum. Goes without saying (and it almost did!)

jeronimo
2nd November 2002, 03:07 PM
Move down, surely? :cheesy:
Oops, I'm gonna get flamed again :oops:. Let's keep it in the 9000 forum so 900 owners won't see it ... :wink:

Oh you're so naive to think we dont keep an eye on you over here :wink: So as not to disappoint you: consider yourself singed/spamked/thwacked etc :cheesy: :nono;

Re the turbo stuff BillJ, I was up with MCC Turbos (I think thats their name - off the top of my head) near Ballymoney recently. They refurbished my unit and its gone/run perfectly since. He told me at the time that he could give a lot more power yet still a smooth delivery if I were to spend some money, from about £50 upwards. I had been asking aout larger compressor wheels etc., to which he said I would get just about the same results with just a better set-up.

I havent gone back yet and am only mentioning them as people who have done a good job for me. just thought you may be interested for when you come home in the future.

BillJ
2nd November 2002, 06:20 PM
Oh you're so naive to think we dont keep an eye on you over here :wink:

DOH :!

Hey, John, these 900 owners are an insecure bunch :wink: (DUCK!)

Thanks for the info, Jeronimo. I'll file that one away along with Stevie in Donaghadee.
My dad had his first problem with the 9000 last week. Seems I slightly miscalibrated the parking sensor I fitted (whoops!), but he has his own favourite auto-spark who fits this particular model (Cobra) every day, and he sorted it out. He didn't hit the car behind very hard (imagine hitting the front of a Renault Clio with any force with the rear of any Saab fitted with a towbar!)

Marquis
2nd November 2002, 06:40 PM
I happen to own exactly the same model. A year 1986 9000 turbo..

About that radiator -> turbo hose. Are you absolutely sure there is a such hose BillJ? Last time i checked under the hood i don't remember seeing one.. And may i ask what's a safety cutout? And how about keeping that hose off all the time? I guesss not a good idea for the interests of turbo? ;-)

BillJ
2nd November 2002, 07:09 PM
Hi, Marquis. Welcome to SaabCentral.

It occurs to me that, for safety's sake, I ought to point out to anyone who might be reading this thread that following the suggestion above can seriously damage your engine. :nono;

He really did say it, though, and sounded as though he had tried it too! :o

Marquis
2nd November 2002, 07:33 PM
Darn! :( hehe
Any other ideas to increase performance while keeping costs at minimum? J/R airfilter perhaps?