Poor breaking...How to improve it? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Poor breaking...How to improve it?

NickP
01-11-02, 06:59 AM
Hi,

Gave myself a bit of a fright the other day when I needed to stop the car quickly and nearly ended up in squashing a little Ford Ka.

What are the best Pads for a standard '94 9K 2.0lpt. I'm not a slow driver but not a nutter either so racing spec' pads (I would have thought) would be a bit over kill. Anybody have any recomendations for replacement pads and/or an easy fix or tweak?

ta.

BillJ
01-11-02, 08:01 AM
Hi, Nick.

For some reason, braking performance on the 9000 seems to vary between cars. The standard Saab pads (made by Textar, I think?) are pretty good. The brakes on my '95 2.0LPT are good and I imagine they must be standard as the car has been exclusively Saab dealer-serviced up until I bought it recently. Good quality discs are important too. I fitted cheap ones to my Aero and they had very poor frictional qualities, resulting in a couple of frightening scenarios like the one you describe.

Assuming the calipers are working properly, It's possible that the discs and/or pads are glazed. I'm also assuming they aren't worn down to their limit.

If, having ensured you have good discs and calipers, you still want to change the pads, I found Mintex C-Tech pads give much improved friction. These are an 1144 compound competition pad, and cost a little over 100 for a set for the front. Even when cold, they give much better friction than the standard pads, and are even better when warmed up (although they can be ruined by determined abuse, as I proved on the Abbott Racing track day recently, but standard pads would have given up long before the Mintex pads).

Having smoked my Mintex pads in spectacular fashion, I'm hoping to receive a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads from Trent Saab today. These are slightly more expensive and I'll try to take care of these on my next track day.

My experience with EBC GreenStuff ("BrownStuff"!) pads is documented elsewhere (on this board, I think). The dog was startled but unhurt!

NickP
01-11-02, 09:51 AM
Thanks Bill,

I don't think that they are glazed but I'll need to take them out to see. But I think I should do a complete over-hall anyway.

I've just been looking at www.eurocarparts.com and they got the C-Tech pads for 66, it's not clear though if this is for a single pair or for two pairs...I did get some normal pad for a ZX and they were for two pairs.

Have you changed the breaklines to braded ones?

Anyway, I wish I knew about that track day, was it open to spectators? (I don't think I would have had much of a chance in a un-tweaked slightly soggy CSE...;-)

BillJ
01-11-02, 10:24 AM
I didn't realise ECP did C-Tech pads. That's quite a good price, too. If you do go for them, there is a short bedding-in procedure (as with all pads aimed at track use), but it isn't hard to do. Then they work immediately, which is nice. One thing I forgot to mention was that I kept getting a slight squeal from them in traffic (just coming to a stop). That might be a problem for some, but it wasn't too bad to my ear.

Yes, I do have braided brake hoses on the Aero. However, the CSE is completely standard. I'll post an update on the DS2500 pads (intended for B*W M3 and Ferrari Testarossa, but machined a tiny amount by Trent Saab to fit the 9000).

Anyway, I wish I knew about that track day, was it open to spectators? (I don't think I would have had much of a chance in a un-tweaked slightly soggy CSE...;-)

Yes, spectators were welcome. Have a look here (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5500), here (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5538) and here (http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000389).

Abbott Racing still haven't updated their site since the trackday! Perhaps they were embarrassed by the relatively large number of damaged cars?

Having "a chance" didn't really come into it, as it was non-competitive and there weren't even official lap timings (although there are unofficial ones). There was a wide range of cars there. If I couldn't have taken the Aero for any reason, I'd have brought the CSE just so I'd get something for my money.

NickP
01-11-02, 10:59 AM
Just been looking at those links and it would have been fun. Out of interest, how much was the day and whens the next?

BillJ
01-11-02, 11:07 AM
It was a bit expensive as track days go, at 195. However, there was support there for minor repairs and things (feasible for a single-make event). This was the second year and I assume there will be one next year. However, there are other track days to go to.

SteveN
02-11-02, 03:26 PM
FWIW http://www.elkparts.com/ do Pagid Fast Road pads for decent prices (+/-65 inc VAT per axel set, ie, both front wheels). Other thing I'm thinking of are the "Power Disks" through Europarts. About 90 but can't remember if that includes VAT.