Detroit News on the 9-3 SC [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Detroit News on the 9-3 SC

Swade
14-03-05, 07:13 AM
Great article in The Detroit News on the Sport Combi. I've got the whole box and dice over at Trollhattan (http://redinterior.typepad.com/trollhattan/2005/03/another_93sc_re.html), including funky pic in snow.

Interesting points:

For me the day's connection to Saab seems entirely appropriate. In my view this slightly oddball Swedish car company has long been about spirited performance, a risk-taking attitude and a willingness to be different. That spirit and an associated design ethic pretty much died in the early 1990s, when lack of investment and a mistaken desire to create more mainstream sedans left Saab with a distinctly uninspired portfolio....

...The first, quick-fix effort by GM to give Saab a much needed entry in the US SUV market, in the form of the Subaru-based 9-2X, has yet to move the needle. As for the forthcoming 9-7X, which uses the GM360 truck platform (aka GMC Envoy), it remains to be seen whether such a conservative design can be transformed into a truly entertaining Saab. Coming later is the 9-6X crossover, which better look a lot better than goofy Subaru Tribeca on which it is based.

The 9-3 SportCombi, however, demonstrates some promise. Structurally it's a fairly straightforward wagon, but its design shows some flair, particularly with the swept up rear side windows. And equipped with GM's powerful new 2.8-litre V-6, the SportCombi is claimed to be the fastest Saab yet. This combination of performance and eye-catching styling recalls the spirit of the mid-1980s 900 Turbo sedan, a highly distinctive Saab that still encapsulates the appeal of the brand in my mind. I remember movies from that time often featured Saab 900s. These days, Saabs don't seem to be on movie producers' wish lists.

apzer09
14-03-05, 07:56 PM
the 9-3SC could really be a hit for Saab if they don't price it too far out of the ballpark and make the 2.0T standard for Linear models. I'd buy one even if they ignore what I just said, but it'll help attract a lot of people from Audi, Volvo, and BMW.

redline514
14-03-05, 11:21 PM
I agree. With proper planning they can get it to do what they wanted the 9-2x to do all along.

apzer09
14-03-05, 11:25 PM
Speaking of which, has anyone heard anymore about the new 9-2? Is it going to be on the Impreza platform again or GM's Delta? When is it going to come out?

mittag
15-03-05, 12:08 AM
Wife just got a new job. We'll definitely check out 93 sc when it comes out.