The End of Saab? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: The End of Saab?

joshd2012
12-03-05, 09:30 PM
As much as it pains me to say this, I think we are seeing the begging of the end for Saab. It seems that every week we learn new details about Saab that shows GM moving it away from its roots.

The first clue was when the 9-3 SC specs were released and AWD was missing from the list. This was the major spec in the concept model that made me think that Saab was finally getting off its butt and putting out a car to compete with what is out there. To find out it is just an extended version of the SS is a real disappointment. I would have rather they waited a few more years and do it right rather than rush a car to market to save a dying brand.

The second blow was 9-5 spy picks which are now floating around the net. Unless they have done some major covering up, this car has clearly lost its identity.

Third, the head of Saab leaves because... get this... the next new Saabs will be built Germany. I have nothing against German cars, but Saabs are Sweedish, and I'm not sure what they will be once you take that away from therm.

Forth, the supply is getting rediculously high. Latest reports are that Saab is sitting on over a years worth of cars they are having a hard time moving. If they can't clear out existing stock, there are big loses and production scale down in the near futuer.

Combine this with GM talking about yet another Subaru rebadge, and it is all looking bad for Saab. This is one 9-5 owner who is glad he got his car before they started being built in Germany and looking like an Acura.

TuuSaR
13-03-05, 07:30 AM
And news value of this doomsday prophecy of yours was?

joshd2012
13-03-05, 09:22 AM
And news value of this doomsday prophecy of yours was?

Its a conjunction of all the news stories we have heard since the beggining of the year, and what they might mean when looked at together, instead of individually as they have been before. So the value is to discuss if these news stories are related, and if so, what that means to Saab?

TuuSaR
13-03-05, 10:06 AM
1. Missing awd, I think overall demand of it has been over exaggerated. And not everybody even wants it because of powertrain losses and increased weight resulting poorer fuel economy. Some dealers have been promised awd 9-3 from Saab by next year, meanwhile happy driving with 9-2X and 9-7X.
And waiting Combi for 3-4 years more would have been catastrophic in Europe. 40% of 9-3 sales are predicted to be Combi model there.

2. Spyshot is a spyshot, tells nothing. But other rumors of the car are very promising.

3. We dont know yet what kind of cars there will be around 2008, maybe we should wait and see. Convertible will be moved to Sweden most likely and some other GM "small" volume models that could yield other Saab models.

4. Stock has been high for many years in the USA, I remember figures like 3000-5000 9-5 models, so stock is getting smaller actually if 9-2X's are not counted.
You have to also remember that the USA is not only market of Saab, elsewhere people wait weeks after weeks for their factory ordered Saabs because there is no stock system.

5. Again its premature to jugde products we know nothing off. Subaru collaboration is always a good news compared to Opel.