General Motors Plans New Saab SUV Model [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: General Motors Plans New Saab SUV Model

SaabKen
07-03-05, 02:10 PM
Not clear if this is a succesor to the 9-7X or in addition to :o. And "in-time" for what ?

-------------------------------------------------------
General Motors Plans New Saab SUV Model
Friday March 4, 8:00 am ET

General Motors Plans New Saab Sport Utility Vehicle Model, Possibly in Time for 2008 Model Year

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- General Motors Corp. said Friday (03/04/05) it will build on Saab's reputation for luxury and add a sport utility vehicle, possibly in time for the 2008 model year.

Carl-Peter Forster, president of GM Europe, said a four-wheel drive version would be developed, as well as continued production of Saab's 9-3 and 9-5 models.

"We really have to go after the growing segments," he said at a news conference at Saab Automobile AB in Trollhaettan, where Saab is based. "The fact that GM is basically only half represented in the premium segment is not something which we would like to continue."

He said that GM, the world's largest automaker, has an overall market share globally of 15 percent, but its premium share was only 8 percent.

"That should show that we have substantial room to improve with the Saab brand," he added.

Source: Associate Press newswire.

squishmann
07-03-05, 09:51 PM
i think they are talking about introducing the 9-7X for Europe on a new platform just in time for 2008. that makes the most sense

Swade
07-03-05, 11:18 PM
Wouldn't that be the supposed 9-6x based on the next Subaru Tribeca platform? I just hope it's more 9-3x than Suuby B9. Why they don't do the Sport Combi in AWD is just a mystery. The 2008 model year should start around August-October 2007.

apzer09
07-03-05, 11:57 PM
I believe the 9-6x was supposed to be built in Indiana along with the Subaru. It sounds like they're going to drop the 9-7x on the truck-based platform and shift it to something else that can be built in Trollhattan and sold globally. But then where are they going to build the next-gen 9-2x? That would be the perfect car to replace the volume lost by the 9-3.

Speaking of the 9-3, I've heard the next-gen (the one built in Russellheim) will have awd. That's also slated for around 2008. Saab's got a lot going on around 2007-2008.

SaabKen
08-03-05, 01:51 AM
Wouldn't that be the supposed 9-6x based on the next Subaru Tribeca platform? I just hope it's more 9-3x than Suuby B9. Why they don't do the Sport Combi in AWD is just a mystery. The 2008 model year should start around August-October 2007.

The 9-6X will be launched in Spring 2006. Like Apzer09 said, it'll be built in Indiana alongside the B9 Tribeca.

One thing is for sure, there's a lot of buzz around Saab these days whether you like it or not. Let's hope that translates into more showroom traffic ! :)

Swade
18-03-05, 05:42 PM
I put together a bit of collation of all the 9-6x stuff I could find around the traps. Not much that people wouldn't know already, but all in the one place now. i'm going to try and keep track of any new stuff under the same category heading on the blog (I need to re-sort my categories into models anyway).

9-6x summary info at Trollhattan (http://redinterior.typepad.com/trollhattan/2005/03/the_96x.html).

Cheers.

SaabKen
18-03-05, 06:09 PM
Great job, Steven. :D

apzer09
18-03-05, 07:59 PM
Isn't this thing going to debut in New York next week sometime? I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it.:confused:

Swade
19-03-05, 12:47 AM
As mentioned in the story, there's nothing about it on the NY Auto Show website and you'd think GM would push for it to be there if it were to be shown.

Actually, on the "new models" button, there was a 9-7x!!

Fla2Cali
21-03-05, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking this new SUV will be a new Small-Midsize SUV to compete with the BMW X3, Freelander, and rumoured Volvo XC50... Built on the Theta platform (a decent platform, believe me) shared with Saturn's Vue and Chevy Equinox but of course SAAB will enhance it like they have done with the 9-7x but this will not share any body pieces or interior pieces... different engines of course. Probably the same as 9-3 (2.0T 210hp, 2.8T 250hp). Probably named 9-4x.. which goes better with current names than 9-7x. odd numbers sedan/station wagons, even crossovers/SUVs. I don't know about the 9-2x naming but whatever... what makes this seem even more possible is the fact that Opel will be making a SUV off the same platform this Fall.

Expect the 9-7x to fade out along with the rest of the GMT-900 platform models as they get replaced(2007-9). The 9-6x will replace it.... it better competes with the X5, RX330, and Volvo XC90. Plus the 9-6x will have similar prices to the 9-7x. I think the 9-6x will help/sell because the Subaru B9 Tribeca is getting good reviews for its performance and quality which it will share with the 9-6x but not for its styling which the 9-6x won't share ;) ...

The current 9-3 can't have AWD because the platform wasn't made to accommodate AWD... like mentioned before the next 9-3 will have it as an option. So will the rest of the SAAB family... 9-5, 9-2, etc

I have read that the next 9-2 will be more of a SAAB. Built on the Delta platform and aimed right at the Audi A3, Higher end VW GTI, and Volvo V50. No word on engines, but It will probably feature the outgoing 2.0t with 175hp and 2.0T 210hp for higher models.

To me if done right all of this can save SAAB... sorry for the long post ;oops:

SaabKen
21-03-05, 05:18 PM
I see contradictory info:

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/saab/96x/100511161/preview.html
(http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/saab/96x/100511161/preview.html)2007 Saab 9-6X Midsize SUV
Available: Summer 2006
What Edmunds.com Says: Don't let the coat fool you -- this is merely a Japanese SUV built in the U.S.
What We Know: Saab will be building a seven-passenger SUV that is essentially identical beneath the surface to the Subaru B9 Tribeca, which recently debuted at NAIAS. The 9-6X will share its platform as well as its 3.0-liter, 250-horsepower, six-cylinder engine and accompanying five-speed manual transmission with its Subaru cousin. Additionally, the two vehicles will both be built on the same assembly line at Subaru's Indiana plant. The 9-6X makes its first appearance at the New York auto show early this spring and should find its way into domestic showrooms by the fall.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100455
(http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100455) http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/trans1x1.gif
Saabaru plans 9-6X Saab and Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company of Subaru, have announced plans for a second joint crossover product following on the heels of the Subaru WRX-based Saab 9-2X. What was not announced is that the next vehicle from Saab and Subaru arriving in mid-2005 as an 06 model will likely be based on the seven-seat Subaru XUV and will probably be called the Saab 9-6X, a name General Motors has trademarked for future use in the United States and Canada.