New to board/Saabs/turbos [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: New to board/Saabs/turbos

razorbak
28-10-02, 11:52 PM
Just bought a 99 9-3se ($7100 on e-bay!)

I know how to build power with an American V8 in my sleep, but know nothing about turbos on small engines...

Isn't there some way to simply turn up the boost on these things? I've seen upgrades that boost the turbo, but they are pretty expensive.

Anyway, I'm really excited about this car, and most of all that I may actually be able to drive it in the winter, unlike past mustangs and camaros. Can't wait to tear into it!

Al

MarkA
29-10-02, 06:55 AM
Hi,

Welcome to the board and to Saab ownership..

Try out http://www.turboteameurope.com

For some ideas about what can be upgraded or improved to get more performance.

Scout the Member's gallery and the Tech sections for a starter.. then come back and ask your questions..

Enjoy.

conradFL
04-11-02, 06:42 PM
Hi,

It's hard to just up the boost in the 9-3 (unlike the C900). Without spending the big bucks, you can install an MBC (manual boost control), and set the max boost yourself subject to the fuel cutoff point. advantages are:
1)higher boost!
2)full boost in all gears (stock ecu limits in gears 1-2)
3)faster spoolup.
drawback is if knocking occurs, the engine manangement system (Trionic 5 or T5) can only retard timing or enrichen the A/F mixture to combat knock, not reduce boost, so if you start to knock then you could be in trouble.

you can also install the MBC inline with the BPC, here you will get the faster spoolup and full boost in gears 1-2 but not a higher max boost.

check out ERP's site for a list and instructions of MBC and other DIY mods that will help increase airflow and smooth out restrictions to further help spoolup and smoothness of acceleration. It's no V8, but I don't doubt that you will love your new Saab

Simon
04-11-02, 07:17 PM
Check out the 'Tech Help' section for a couple of performance websites.

Simon.